Fleeced By Towergate

TomPiper

I have just been charged £25 when I informed Towergate that I have now changed my storage site. Don't misunderstand me, this is not an increase in premium, this is an administration charge. Now there may well ahve been small print, but, I hold my hands up I missed it!

By my reckoning the (rather abrupt, when challenged) customer services assistant spent about ninety seconds on the phone inputting the new details, and, no doubt the automatically generated paperwork will arrive on my doormat by second class mail. How can this possible equate to £25?

I was clearly wrong to think that there may be some rule or guideline or maybe even a regulation that states that these charges should be fair and proportionate.

It would appear Towergate can be added to the list of companies who are subsidising their profits by exploiting clients.

I sense an email to the relevant regulatory authority coming on.

I wonder if Towergate would care to comment on this forum.

Beware, fellow caravanners

Don't know why you are moaning, £25 seems to be the standard rate for any change to any insurance policy i was charged that amount for changing my telephone number on my house insurance. and £25 on my car insurance for changing my reg number to a private one

It's only 25 quid after all. and there is always a cost of change.

Tony G

Kia Sorrento 2. 5 CDi 59 plate Towing 2011 Swift Conqueror 645

I changed storage earlier this year. Told them where it's being moved to but they said they wouldn't insure me as there was no CCTV over the actual storage field, only on the access. I politly told them I don't care, that is where it's being stored, I'll find someone else who will cover me then. They changed the storage details without further 'admin charges'

I also wasn't charged with changing my vehicle details to a private plate. perhaps I've just been lucky!

Diefer

Don't know why you are moaning, £25 seems to be the standard rate for any change to any insurance policy i was charged that amount for changing my telephone number on my house insurance. and £25 on my car insurance for changing my reg number to a private one

It's only 25 quid after all. and there is always a cost of change.

59 Plate car 2011 van and £25 means nowt to you!

You've got too much money :P;)

59 Plate car 2011 van and £25 means nowt to you!

You've got too much money :P;)

I wish :D :D :D i just accept that's it's par for the course to be ripped off at every available opportunity

Tony G

Kia Sorrento 2. 5 CDi 59 plate Towing 2011 Swift Conqueror 645

I would expect that if I changed my details I would incur a charge, also by changing storage location I would also change the risk & therefore the premium :huh:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Thanks for that Paul, but in my original post I clearly stated that this was not a change in premium, purely an administration charge. (By the way, the risk reduced significantly, but there doesn't seem to be any rush to send me a partial refund)!

I understand there is a cost implication to the insurer, answering the phone, sending letters etc, but £25 is entirely disproportionate to the costs they have incurred.

Now I know we live in a free market economy blah blah blah. .. and this is probably not illegal, but it is still wrong. Just because they all seem to do it, doesn't make it right.

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/business-11388954

"Admin charges" have been par for the course with many insurance companies for a few years now. It's how they recoup costs while trimming their headline premium prices to the bone for new custom. A number plate change for me last week was £30. ..I knew it was coming, so no surprise. I don't see it as a particular company "fleecing" you but standard industry practice.

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but yesterday changed my car insurance details to a new company/pending renewal (Saga) remembered I hadn't said the car has a towbar on proposal ! NO charge.

Personalised plate some years ago, No charge.

Informed Insurance I did voluntary work using car (Community car) No Charge. :rolleyes:

In fact only admin was a Insurance I cancelled half way through, but I was aware and cheaper than paying for whole year with summer car now laid up.

Will have to watch out in the future if the Companies are starting to charge for insignificant changes. :(

Edited by bordeauxderek

Liverpool Victoria : Change of vehicle / driver £10 admin. charge

Duplicate documents £10 admin. charge

Very reasonable I think. £25 for a similar service by other companies seems over the top to me.

Gordon

Edited by Geemac

Hi all,

I contacted Chris Knott insurance " the prefered insurer for Volvo Owners Club members " , gave them details of my Volvo 945 Celebration and when asked were there any modifications, I mentioned that I had just fitted a Tow Bar and a Volvo 7 seat conversion, they could not insure me because of these. How many 945 estates don't have a towbar. Nuff said, money elsewhere, Cheerio. Catch ya later,indoors.

Last year I phoned Churchill to add my daughter boyfriend to my car insurance policy for a week and was told it would be £25 . ..but if I just added him to the policy for the year the only charge would be a £15 admin fee. He was only 24 at the time too.

"Admin charges" have been par for the course with many insurance companies for a few years now. It's how they recoup costs while trimming their headline premium prices to the bone for new custom. ....

God post!

Which is why we should all shop around each year and go and accept all those lovely "join us now incentive premiums" always being sure that the cover is what is required!!!

G.

i have changed my storage twice & I am with towergate,they have never charged me a penny,I think its only if you ask or be asked if they want to send renewed documents out they charge you.

Which is why we should all shop around each year

I did and trimmed my car premium from £364 renewal to £211 with a new company, like for like cover. The £30 admin charge was expected as I knew I was going to change the reg. number.

Thanks for that Paul, but in my original post I clearly stated that this was not a change in premium, purely an administration charge. (By the way, the risk reduced significantly, but there doesn't seem to be any rush to send me a partial refund)!

I understand there is a cost implication to the insurer, answering the phone, sending letters etc, but £25 is entirely disproportionate to the costs they have incurred.

Now I know we live in a free market economy blah blah blah. .. and this is probably not illegal, but it is still wrong. Just because they all seem to do it, doesn't make it right.

http://www. bbc. co. uk. ..siness-11388954

Don't get me wrong, I don't think its right that we are charged for informing insurances companies of changes, but its what I've come to expect :(

I always remember how they treat me at renewal times ;)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I insure my bike with Bennetts and they charge £40 to make changes. They don't even post anything to me as it is all done via email. I will be looking for another broker next year. As for Towergate Baker's, I dumped them last year due to the high changes costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunatley these charges are normally disclosed the a fairly standard "Initial Disclosure Document" (IDD) - this is an official looking document that the Financial Services Authority in their wisdom insists must be given to all customers when buying insurance.

The problem with it lies in that it's pretty turgid stuff, and shares something in common with "small print" type issues in that unless you're the pedantic careful type (like the saddo that I am!) there's nothing about it that inspires you to read it. The whammy only comes home when you phone up to tell them something. Firms do nowadays generally mention these charges in a phone call, but again as those who do deal over the phone know there's nowadays so much regulatory verbiage that has to be delivered you just fall asleep while they rattle through it at twice the pace (like some of those stupid adverts).

What they should have to do is show these charges at the same point as they give you a breakdown of the premium - perhaps in a seperate column of "extras" being all the things that could cost you more if you want (eg Legal Expenses / courtesy car / foreign travel etc).

But then that would be just too simple - wouldn't it?

I wish :D :D :D i just accept that's it's par for the course to be ripped off at every available opportunity

Just because you accept that its par for the cause doesn't mean everyone else should.

If people don't kick up about these things companies will keep fleecing people with these charges for changes that cost them nothing, just a few keystrokes on a computer.

As stated, vote with your feet. When getting quotes ask the question "do you charge for changes and if so how much"

In all walks of life you can't trust anyone, someone will always try and lift your leg.

I insure my bike with Bennetts and they charge £40 to make changes. They don't even post anything to me as it is all done via email. I will be looking for another broker next year. As for Towergate Baker's, I dumped them last year due to the high changes costs.

i use 'Ebike' . ... all self administered online and print out of doc's if req'd . ... no charge for any changes that you make : )

I've had this a few times recently. .

Cancelling insurance with AA - £50 charge

Changing caravan with Shield - £40 charge

Changing motorbike with Swindon - £60 charge

Small mistake on daughters first car insurance policy with Diamond - £156 charge!

With all 4 i made a fuss and insisted that they provide a break down of their charges (the ABI after all, do say the charges need to be fair and justifiable)

AA backed down and refunded the £50

Shield halfed the amount they wanted to change

Swindon reduced the admin fee by half, although couldn't explain what the remainder of the charge was for

Diamond waived the charge which was damn decent of them.

Don't take it lying down folks, demand they tell you what their charge is paying for!

2021 Swift Sienna Super 4SB