Should We Steer Clear Of This Van?

Fordsabroad

My daughter has been looking to buy her first caravan and has looked at a 2001 Elddis Avante. The layout suits her needs and the general condition is in keeping with a 10 year old van. One concern that we have is the floor around the middle of the van feels very slightly soft. It was not possible to have a good inspection as it has a carpet fitted. I presume that this must be “delamination” that I have read about on other posts. Is this an expensive problem to fix, does it really need to be fixed or can it stay like this without further problems for years? And does it affect the safety of the van when towing? The van is sited on a seasonal pitch and is used regularly by the owners; there is no signs of damp and everything else seems sound. Should this be a van we steer clear of or not?

Gordon

To have delamination repaired by a mobile engineer costs around £80 a SQ Metre, you could also get it checked out by an engineer if you are unsure.

price should reflect the work involved to bond the floor they usually go soft where there is the most "traffic" ie near the sink etc . quite sure there are kits that can be bought or caravan repairers rarther than dealers that would undertake the repair that involves drilling and injecting glue to bond the area then new carpet etc have a look underneath with a bright light and see how much the floor flexes also any colour difference to the underside wood . to recap i am quite sure its easier to "re - laminate the floor than fix a damp caravan ? , jim

Ask the seller for a lower price because of this problem and use the difference to pay for the delamination. My old van used to have a bit of give near the door and end kitchen but it made no difference to towing or anything else. ...

Have a look under the van and prod around to confirm all the underside is DRY. The four corners need checking because the awning rails if in bad condition will drain into the corner supports.

If the rest is in good condition you may feel like going ahead.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I thought I had a bit delamination recently after reading about it on here as the floor near the heater felt a bit soft but when I went under the caravan all was fine and dry except the softness was due to an accident with the previous owner fitting a new gas fire so we totally got it ripped out and use electric. All we had to do was fill in the hole as it was just some of the foam under the floor had came out and is fine now.

Another bit of delamination I thouht I had was as you come in the door it felt a bit soft. I lifted the sticky tiles on the floor and it's not delaminationagain. Its the join in between the two bits of wood that has developed a slight bit give. Checked underneith and again the wood is in good, dry condition so am looking to get some of the wood resin that you paint / inject into the wood to make it firm again before it gets worse so lift the carpet as it could be just the join.

We're also on a seasonal pitch and are away most weekends so is also well used :)

If everything else seems ok i'd personally go ahead with buying but make sure you check everything else thoroughly

Compass Shadow 1988

I would be also be concerned that the caravan hasn't moved for a while with it being on a seasonal pitch, has the van been used on the road? Are the tyres & running gear ok etc . ...... I'd be tempted to get it inspected professionally

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Archived