Help Please

nigelfromashford

Hi all, we are totally new to caravanning, and have just bought a 1990 Coachman VIP 560-4. It came with no manuals etc. Is it possible to obtain these, and if so where? If not can someone please advise me on how to charge the leisure battery whilst driving along. At the moment the battery is flat, and what position does the switch inside have to be in to charge it. Any help and advice would be very much appreciated as my wife and i are taking it out soon for a week in the New Forest. Thanks in advance. ...Nigel

not an expert on batteries but if it is flat you need to charge first on the correct type of charger & see if its holding the charge(local dealer if you have one near you)The battery should charge when you are towing,as far as i know no switch has to be on within the van whilst towing. If you are not on an electric hookup when you go away i would get your battery checked and fully charged. As for the manuals the manufacturer would be the best place to start. Good luck with your first trip.

Hi,

Regards charging battery, we have used a car battery charger for -er -xxx years ! thing is NOT to charge it at a fast rate as some chargers ( can) do. Nice and slow is best, on a fast charge its possible to buckle the internal plates and the paste to come out, falling to the bottom and shorting out the internal plates ( this is what happens in old age - the batterys that is ! ) Manuals,- try the factory -- sales@coachman. co. uk or the owners club might be able to help, try their web site.

regards david1220

P. S. when you connect the battery to the charger it might not show a charge,-leave it connected some times it takes a while to " wake up " if no response ( say the next day ) i am afraid, to use a technical term, the battery is knackered !

Edited by david 1220

If the battery is flat and you can connect to a hookup (mains) the onboard charger should charge it for you. The car will charge it if you have a Grey 12s plug and socket fitted.

I do not think it will go from flat to charged on the car though. If the battery is 100 amp it could be more like 2 days. Check voltage at battery terminals and report back.

13. 5 volts is charge rate approx. (charger on) The car may be higher than that if it is connected and revs above tick-over speed.

Edited by Lefthand Down

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Hope the caravans are as good ,-- just about to take delivery of an Amara ! glad you are sorted.

Cheers david1220

Hope the caravans are as good ,-- just about to take delivery of an Amara ! glad you are sorted.

Cheers david1220

Worry not David.

I have a new Pastiche. In over 40 years of caravanning and owning most major british makes, Thompson/Elddis /Compass/Lunar/Swift/Bailey x2, the last one an Olympus which was the worst I have ever owned and a nightmare from start to finish until a full refund got me my Coachman, and 2 germans Burstner /Knaus the Coachman is the BEST van I have ever had ! Mind you I have never owned a Vanmaster .

Jt

Coachman Pastiche