Stiff Operating Blinds - Swift Warranty

MattAce

Have noticed that Swift have posted a note on the Swift Talk forum regarding the stiff operation of certain pleated blinds.

Copied the below from the Swift talk website :-

"Stiff operation of Pleated Blinds

Following an extensive investigation into complaints raised on this forum regarding the Seitz Soft Rollo three sided pleated window blind with our supplier, 'Seitz' we have identified some inconsistencies in their process of tensioning the blind cords.

Correct cord tensioning is necessary to ensure that both the blind fabric and flyscreen material are retained and operate correctly. In some cases the tension has been excessive leading to the blind and flyscreen being stiff in operation, this can then also cause the parting of the end caps from the aluminium handle bar.

Seitz have now corrected this and made the necessary process improvements to eradicate the problem and ease the operation of the blind and flyscreen.

We sincerely apologise to any customers who have experienced this problem with their blinds. Those customers that have a faulty blind are asked to contact their supplying dealer to arrange to have their blind replaced under warranty.

Additional stocks of blinds are currently being scheduled in to the UK to support our dealer network. Models affected are;

The Caravan Models Affected are;

2007 – Award, Challenger, Eccles, GTS.

2008 – Award, Challenger, Eccles, GTS.

2009 – Award, Challenger, Eccles, GTS, Conqueror, Elite, Spectrum, Supreme.

2010 – Challenger, Eccles, Elite, Conqueror.

2010 – Charisma and Europa based dealer specials.

2011 – Challenger, Eccles, Elite, Conqueror.

2011 – Charisma and Europa based dealer specials.

2012 – Challenger, Eccles, Elite, Conqueror.

2012 – Challenger Sport & Eccles Sport Dealer Specials.

The Motorhome Models Affected are;

2007 – Bolero, E500, Airstream.

2008 – Bolero, E500, Airstream, Voyager, E600, Adventurer.

2009 – Bolero, E500, Airstream, Voyager, E600, Adventurer.

2010 – Bolero, E500, Voyager, E600.

2011 – Bolero, E500, Voyager, E600.

2012 – Bolero, E500."

Ian

No problem with stiffness in one of my roof blinds as the cord was missing altogether and replacement was ordered after PDI :unsure:

• 5 weeks later...

I was one of those 'stirring' via their site and had direct exchanges with them regarding Seitz blinds and one of many that filled in an appraisal which received a prompt reply. Pleased to see that they managed to get Seitz to issue some new blinds at last.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

• 1 month later...

Hi

Does this apply to a caravan bought second hand which is only 18 months old, as all 3 of our front blinds are so stiff that the end cap comes off every time - we have only had van 2 months and have just resorted to leaving the strings dangling??

Edited by vanlover9

Does this apply to a caravan bought second hand which is only 18 months old, as all 3 of our front blinds are so stiff that the end cap comes off every time - we have only had van 2 months and have just resorted to leaving the strings dangling??

Someone asked this on SwiftTalk and answer is as long as your van is in the groups shown then you are OK.

I wonder if this is the same blind that is used in the Lunar caravan as we have had a similar problem with the caps on the end jumpimng off.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Our Bessacarr Cameo which is only 18 months old now (we have only had for 2 months) is not mentioned in above group, but front window blinds are realy really stiff. We can just manage to get the centre front one up and down if we are careful and both do it together (one at each end), but the small end ones, almost always results in the plastic end cap coming off and the string hanging across the window. We do our best to hid the string until we move to another site and then have to take the blind off the wall, turn it upside down and put the end caps on again. Then carefully screw the whole blind back on the window frame again. Then after the 1st or 2nd working of the blind, it's opff again. People who had van from new did not use it at all (all polythene and labels was on everything (just like new) when we bought it - from a caravan dealer - but it states in garantee that blinds are only guaranteed for 1 yr. So I suppose we are stuck with non-working blinds at the front.

It is very annoying when you know that they could have been changed for working ones had the people previous complained. I really feel that if Swift are acknowledging that they have fitted faulty blinds, then they should be prepared to change any when the caravan is only 18th months old.

Anyone any ideas on this - does anyone think it is worth trying to contact Seitz, the blind manufacturers?

Edited by vanlover9

Our Bessacarr Cameo which is only 18 months old now (we have only had for 2 months) is not mentioned in above group, but front window blinds are realy really stiff. We can just manage to get the centre front one up and down if we are careful and both do it together (one at each end), but the small end ones, almost always results in the plastic end cap coming off and the string hanging across the window. We do our best to hid the string until we move to another site and then have to take the blind off the wall, turn it upside down and put the end caps on again. Then carefully screw the whole blind back on the window frame again. Then after the 1st or 2nd working of the blind, it's opff again. People who had van from new did not use it at all (all polythene and labels was on everything (just like new) when we bought it - from a caravan dealer - but it states in garantee that blinds are only guaranteed for 1 yr. So I suppose we are stuck with non-working blinds at the front.

It is very annoying when you know that they could have been changed for working ones had the people previous complained. I really feel that if Swift are acknowledging that they have fitted faulty blinds, then they should be prepared to change any when the caravan is only 18th months old.

Anyone any ideas on this - does anyone think it is worth trying to contact Seitz, the blind manufacturers?

How long ago did you buy the caravan and from whom? If a dealer, you would be covered under the Sale of Goods Act as it is an inherent fault.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Is your van 2010? If so do you want me to ask on Swifttalk (I have checked through and no-one has asked about Cameo so far) - or you could join yourself?

Edited by SamD

• 3 years later...

Hi i have one of the caravans listed as having the faulty seitz rollo blinds i have the a swift coastline 550 which is a charisma 550 really made for Highbridge caravans soi comes under (2010 – Charisma and Europa based dealer specials). which was supplied by Highbridge Caravans i am the second owner after reading this article i contacted Highbridge and was told no such warranty exists. Are they correct. 90% of my blinds are almost impossible to move and one the string has snapped.

Any help would be appreciated

Kevin

There is a thread running at the moment on Swift Talk on the same subject of whether the warranty replacement scheme still applies. The advice from Swift Admin is to contact your dealer and ask them to submit a warranty claim to Swift for review. I would contact Highbridge and ask them to do this if your van is within the groups covered by the scheme.

Frank

Your dealer is possibly correct as the problem was with pleated blinds manufactured at that time, I don't think it was the roller ones as they are retensioned adjusting the spring with the screw at end of rollers.

I was second owner and my negotiations were with Swift themselves via Swift Talk and their people eventually arranged for a second blind replacement (following three already replaced via dealer),we ended up with another single blind which they supplied on basis that I paid for installation and return of damaged blind. ..

Later another blind has failed but am trying to repair myself as way outside Warranty.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

birdman101 i have the pleated blinds as listed in the article silver on one side and beige grading on the other

Join Swift talk if not already on it and you will probably find you will get them replaced if you post your problem,or phone customer services 01482875740 with your caravan CRiS number.

Hi all i've just joined swift talk, can anybody give me the link for the seitz pleated blind warranty page

many thanks

Kevin

Hi all i've just joined swift talk, can anybody give me the link for the seitz pleated blind warranty page

many thanks

Kevin

Not sure I can put a link here to Swift Talk. When you have logged in go to "Newest Posts" or the forum category "Caravan Technical" and scroll down to thread "Broken Blinds"

Frank

Edited by pfr

The latest post on the subject Andy Spacey technical director says the same as i have said contact customer services. This forum will not allow a link to click on but this is it

http://www. swift-talk. co. uk/swift/forum/new_posts/43070/notice-stiff-operation-blinds#last

Edited by birdman101

thanks guys found it now and spoken to swift rep who informed me they are unaware of any issues with blinds. i pointed out the article on swifttalk posted by Andy Spacey and he said he cannot look at swift talk, go figure!! Anyway he asked me to take a screen shot and send it to him. Which i have done now so will await a reply and keep you posted. Still find it hard to believe they do not know anything about this issue, as it was their technical director who posted the issue originally.

thanks guys

thanks guys found it now and spoken to swift rep who informed me they are unaware of any issues with blinds. i pointed out the article on swifttalk posted by Andy Spacey and he said he cannot look at swift talk, go figure!! Anyway he asked me to take a screen shot and send it to him. Which i have done now so will await a reply and keep you posted. Still find it hard to believe they do not know anything about this issue, as it was their technical director who posted the issue originally.

thanks guys

It is my guess that the reason the person at Swift did not know about the issue with blinds is that there is no current/recent recall. The notice from Andy Spacey was issued over 4 years ago and most vans were remedied fairly soon after that. I had a 2010 van which had new blinds fitted a few months after the notice.

Frank

Just received an email back from swift and here it is.

Our Ref. CNJ/ 0868142

10/11/2015

Mr Kevin McNeil

Dear Mr McNeil

2010 Coastline 550 (Char 550) T3B 2010 s/n 0868142

Thank you for emailing in the screenshot from the Swift Talk forum as requested.

As agreed, I have looked into this for you and can confirm that the issue you refer to with the blind is an advisory note to owners rather than a recall and not all vans were affected by this.

The issue was able to be rectified during the 3 year warranty on any vehicles affected providing that the warranty terms and conditions were met.

Unfortunately there are no services listed against this vehicle since the 1st service in 2011 and the blind has not been raised as an issue by the previous owner when other warranty work was carried out and as such, we are unable to assist you in this matter.

I am sorry that we could not give the resolution you will have hoped for, please be assured that I have investigated the matter with the best intentions but based on the information above, we are unable to facilitate your request.

Yours sincerely

Craig Jones

Customer Services Advisor

So not quite what i expected !!!

Hi Frank the van i purchased had been not used for 3 years a the owner was ill and it was just left on his drive. He only actually used it 3 times from new. So for these blinds to be faulty, must be from new (manufactured defect)

Hi Frank the van i purchased had been not used for 3 years a the owner was ill and it was just left on his drive. He only actually used it 3 times from new. So for these blinds to be faulty, must be from new (manufactured defect)

You are not covered by SOGA or any warranty even if the caravan was falling to bits if the caravan was bought privately.

As the caravan wasn't serviced during the 3years, it has invalidated the body warranty as well as all the other fixtures and fittings.

i hope you got it at a good price because despite it being virtually new ( used 3 times) you will be on your own for any and all repairs.