Door On Opposite Side To Uk Made Vans, Problems?

Clairestelon

Hi, we used to own a small French pop top van, and never had a problem. They sometimes asked us to spin it round to conform with their health and safety policies. There are a lot of european type vans around. Don't think you would have problem.

Hi,

We use a "left-hand " drive caravan. ..a Fendt Platin 450. ...but of course, we live in Spain and spend a great deal of time touring in France where there isn't a problem.

This year we recently spent about 3 months touring in England and Wales and at no time did we encounter any difficulties. ......so I would say. .."Go ahead".

John & Helen.

Javea, Spain

hello, we have a french folding caravan, with the door on the offside, never had a problem, i did read on this site that some camp sites have you parking a certain way, if that happened to me i would just drive the van in instead of reversing, hope this helps

My first van in 1992 was a euro van, I kept that 3 years and never had a problem with it because of the door side. I bought my current van 9 years ago and again it has a Eurpo door and again I have never had a problem from having the door on the euro side. I prefer it as when it on my garden I can get to it directly from the drive rather than having to walk all the way round to get at the door.

Automotive Leisure the Eriba dealer reckons there are about 3,000 Eriba Tourings in the UK and they all have offside doors. Many other Continental brands might not be so numerous but add up to a fair number and all those Hymer and most of the other Continental motorhome brands all feature offside access and there's rarely a problem.

If we're on a pitch where the proximity of neighbours requires it we happily position the van with the hitch to the rear so we're not eyeballing next door.

The only oddity we've come across is one site that seems to accept touring vans with offside doors but has it written into their seasonal rules that they won't accept Continental vans. When I emailed and asked why not they completely ignored my enquiry and failed to respond, so I failed to book there. It's their loss, not mine.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Same as above - we usually put our Hobby nose in so as not to have the door facing our neighbour's door - no problem :)

If you parked in a layby and went in the van you would be on the road side not kerb side.

Some sites that specify the van to the left of the pitch may be a bit tricky to get the van in nose first as you may need to push it in by hand rather than use the car.

However go abroad and it is all the right way!

I had an Eriba 230GT (the door the wrong side) but never

had any problem on any C&CC or CC site.

I usually pull across a pitch, door facing out, awning to the

the world

Our door is on the UK offside, and occasionally we've had to park "nose in" on a pitch to keep the site owner/warden happy, and as highlighted above, you have to be aware if entering when parked in a layby. Otherwise, it's no worse than taking a UK caravan to the continent.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

wello

why dont they just put a door on both sides would make it much more usefull

to have the choich of whitch side you want your awning

regards bigd

wello

why dont they just put a door on both sides would make it much more usefull

to have the choich of whitch side you want your awning

regards bigd

Got that. Great feature. When I see them coming for the site fees I can dash out of the other side!

I agree that a second door would certainly be an asset. Some manufacturers used to do this by adding an external door to the loo compartment which, with careful design, could double as a small vestibule.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Speak for yourself Chris.

This thread reminds me of an Eriba Troll that I saw earlier this year at Automotive Leisure in Poole.

The offside awning channel (the door side) was clear ready for the full awning that came with the van, but the nearside was fitted with an Omnistor 2000 pull-out awning/sunshade thing in a cassette, similar to the ones fitted to motorhomes. I must admit I couldn't see the point of having the Omnistor on the side without a door, although maybe it was to save space storing it in the garage. A second door would've been very handy for that set up :)

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

You could hardly have a vestibule in an Eriba, however, although an awning would act as one on the door side. I suppose the awning on the no-door side could termed an annex, with or without optional granny . . .

See you soon - now gonna drive 180 miles back to sunny Suffolk!

Having a door on the offside is not a problem in a small caravan as it can spin round easy to comply with the site pitching regulations . A larger caravan a motormover would be a bonus as most sites are designed for the caravan to be backed in to a hedge or fence in some cases.

Dave

When I stayed at North Ledaig CC Site Nr. Oban I noticed that all the LH Drive vans were spun around 180 degrees. While this didn't seem a problem, it did mean that those vans didn't get the benefit of the sea view out of the front window.

Regards,

Steve

Speak for yourself Chris.

This thread reminds me of an Eriba Troll that I saw earlier this year at Automotive Leisure in Poole.

The offside awning channel (the door side) was clear ready for the full awning that came with the van, but the nearside was fitted with an Omnistor 2000 pull-out awning/sunshade thing in a cassette, similar to the ones fitted to motorhomes. I must admit I couldn't see the point of having the Omnistor on the side without a door, although maybe it was to save space storing it in the garage. A second door would've been very handy for that set up :)

If travelling to hot countries a second awning is very welcome to keep the sun off the side of the van - especially in places like Morocco where there are not too many trees to shelter under :)

Agdz1.JPG

When I stayed at North Ledaig CC Site Nr. Oban I noticed that all the LH Drive vans were spun around 180 degrees. While this didn't seem a problem, it did mean that those vans didn't get the benefit of the sea view out of the front window.

Regards,

Steve

Not all continental vans have the lounge at the front, some are at the back so being in front first can be a bonus.

We have our door on the right and have never felt it a problem. The occasional "regimented" CC or C&CC site has demanded that we park nose in, but we have a mover so this is not a problem. One could argue that the van is safer parked nose in as it is not so easy for a tea leaf to hitch and run. I've never fancied parking in a lay bye so have not encountered the issue that Ellisfield highlights.

Spinning round is not a problem layout wise, as we have the bedroom in the front and living room at the rear, so we are living in the same position in the caravan as everyone else. However when we can reverse into a spot at the edge of the site, particularly a lakeside or seaside site we have the living room overlooking the view and away from the passing crowds.

I would not fancy a door on each side. That takes up valuable cupboard space on the inside. And having an awning rail both sides means we can put up the double awning as Ted suggests.

Regards,

Steve

This is my caravan at North Ledaig exactly where I was asked to put it

. ledaig.jpg

This is my caravan at North Ledaig exactly where I was asked to put it
Is the van next door to you a UK van parked nose in??

Archived