Watching Subscribed Sky Channels In Van

MattAce

HI All,

Would like to be able to watch channels subscribed to on sky in the caravan (keep son happy!)

At the moment I have a multimo sat dish with single output, cheap Bush freesat receiver inside van, job done!

However, can only get freesat channels (not sky 1 or movies).

Would it be as simple as to take the sky box from home and connect to the single output Multimo dish? The box at home is a Sky+ box with 2 inlets for sat but would it work with 1, obviously couldn't record 2 programs but could I either view or record on program on sky subscription? Or would it not work at all unless there was 2 correct inputs?

Thanks

Ian

Hi

I have a SKY+ box in the motorhome and it works for channels etc but I cannot use the "+" features. The channels are available as per the SKY viewing card though.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

HI

Yes I just take my sky hd+ plus box from the lounge with us. I have a twin lnb and two cables but it will work with just one input you just wont be able to watch /record two channels as at home

hth

Ian

Thanks for the replies,

So am I right in thinking that I should be able to record just one program?? Or is this classed as a "+" feature.

I don't want to muck up having sky at home, is it just a case of connecting the dish, mains & scart or will it need re registering etc?

Also, the cupboard for TV equipment is quite limited in the van, is it ok to put the box on it's side or will this damage it if used like this??

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

Ian

Thanks for the replies,

So am I right in thinking that I should be able to record just one program?? Or is this classed as a "+" feature.

I don't want to muck up having sky at home, is it just a case of connecting the dish, mains & scart or will it need re registering etc?

Also, the cupboard for TV equipment is quite limited in the van, is it ok to put the box on it's side or will this damage it if used like this??

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

Ian

Im not sure about the HD and Plus features, but if you set up as mine, (standard sky box) just set it up as you would at home. Connect to Multimo (i use one too) Scart to your TV and YES i do stand my box on its side with no probs) You can if you wish send a second signal (once setup) to another TV via one of the RF outlets at the back of the sky box, though both Tvs will get the same channels (unless you reinvest in a Twin Lnb Multimo)

There is no "re registering unless you change sky boxes. For your setup, just tune in and away you go. I would recommend a needle type sat finder as opposed to the led only type.

nigel

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

Ian

My last Sky box lived in it's side for a long time! It died a death in the end, but probably due to old age.

You could buy a smaller box for the caravan - have a look on Ebay at the 12v Pave Javelin boxes - sit down though before looking at the price.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

If you have a spare Sky + box and I got one for £8 from a car boot where you often see them now that people are going over to HD you can use it in the van OK

I've discovered that if I put the wrong Sky+ card in the box it will not allow movies or Sky Sport but it will allow all Sky+ features of record,pause, rewind etc and it will receive Eurosport for some strange reason but it needs a twin LNB

I also have the + box in cupboard with a Sky magic eye

You can fit a twin LNB to Multimo now

http://www. outandaboutlive. co. uk/forums/forums/thread-view. asp?tid=7939&posts=8

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

Not sure about just Sky+ but initially I used a single LNB with our HD box and there was a problem that I cannot remember the detail of.

Anyway, all I had to do was make sure that the cable was into LNB 1 and in the service menu set the LNB to 'Single LNB Feed On'.

Since bought a Dual feel LNB and a coil of 'Shotgun' cable for full features.

Recently put a new PSU and 1TB HDD in my Thomson HD box and noticed when I had the box apart that at the left hand side viewed from the front their is the PSU cooling fan so if the Sky+ box is the same don't stand it on this end otherwise overheating is likely.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Why don't you simply change the single LNB on your "Multimo" dish to a twin and take your Sky+ box from home and connect it up in the caravanin?

I believe your "Multimo" dish uses the same LNB as my "Arcon Multi" which is an "Inverto" C120 flange twin.

Available from http://www. satellitesuperstore. com/twinlnb. htm#invertotwinc120 Price about £37 but cheaper than buying a new dish!

I always take my Humax foxsat HD recorder with me in the van and simply connect it up as at home.

A recorder is ideal for coping with the time differences across the channel!

Vin Blanc

Thanks for all the replies.

All very helpful info :)

Changing the LNB on the Multimo is definitely something to look into.

Out of interest I disconnected one of the sat connections from the house box so there was only 1 input and the box acted very odd, wouldn't show some stations, then showed them all as normal and then showed none and just said no signal from sat dish. Then recorded something as normal and then wouldn't record anything!

Plugged the other sat feed back into the box and was all back to normal and fine.

Have looked in the box settings for using one LNB only but couldn't find this setting??

Looks like fitting the dual LNB is the best idea and will also look for another sky box to save disconnecting the home box.

Thanks again

Ian

Have looked in the box settings for using one LNB only but couldn't find this setting??

Similar to the problems I encountered, the EPG played up on mine also.

On HD as follows.

Cable to Input 1

Then, Services - Settings - Picture - 0 - 1 - Select - Single Feed Mode - Select - Save - Select to reboot - Switch back on with SKY button and wait.

Not sure if Sky + menus are the same as HD.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Hi

Just a bit of info on what you can receive through a sky+ box and whether you can record, heres a thread I previously created on the DigitalSpy forums that has some good info through it:

http://forums. digitalspy. co. uk/showthread. php?t=1530665&highlight=

Alex ( Hope the link works ok )

If you have a spare Sky + box and I got one for £8 from a car boot where you often see them now that people are going over to HD you can use it in the van OK

I've discovered that if I put the wrong Sky+ card in the box it will not allow movies or Sky Sport but it will allow all Sky+ features of record,pause, rewind etc and it will receive Eurosport for some strange reason but it needs a twin LNB

I also have the + box in cupboard with a Sky magic eye

You can fit a twin LNB to Multimo now

http://www. outandabo. ..id=7939&posts=8

Excellent bit of info on that link John, was told by RoadPro a year or two ago that a twin lmb couldnt be fitted (buy the new model) . Saved that page for the inevitable failure of my 7yr old Multimo. Thanks.

nigel

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

Excellent bit of info on that link John, was told by RoadPro a year or two ago that a twin lmb couldnt be fitted (buy the new model) . Saved that page for the inevitable failure of my 7yr old Multimo. Thanks.

nigel

Your welcome and glad to help

I gave up with my Multimo 10 years ago after the 3rd LNB failed(My friend is still on the original Multimo LNB after a similar time !)

i then had the Maxview with tripod and quad LNB before fitting the Maxview Semitronic on the van roof also with quad LNB enabling use of 2 Sky+ boxes :unsure:

Reading back through some old (2006) forum threads it would seem that the early Multimo dishes might have had a fixed LNB and feedhorn.

Fortunately, the basic dish must still have been simply a parabole with a hole in the middle as are the more recent models.

It would be reasonable to suggest therefore that if your existing LNB cannot be unscrewed, simply saw it off, then fit the latest type twin LNB and feedhorn (which screw together) through the original hole. SIMPLES!

I know it sounds drastic but if you think about how the whole thing was originally manufactured the dish has to be a separate item from the LNB and feedhorn.

By the way, Inverto are launching a new 0. 2 db black series LNB for C120 flange later this year. No idea of price yet but I plan to get one for my Arcon dish.

Vin Blanc

Reading back through some old (2006) forum threads it would seem that the early Multimo dishes might have had a fixed LNB and feedhorn.

Fortunately, the basic dish must still have been simply a parabole with a hole in the middle as are the more recent models.

It would be reasonable to suggest therefore that if your existing LNB cannot be unscrewed, simply saw it off, then fit the latest type twin LNB and feedhorn (which screw together) through the original hole. SIMPLES!

I know it sounds drastic but if you think about how the whole thing was originally manufactured the dish has to be a separate item from the LNB and feedhorn.

By the way, Inverto are launching a new 0. 2 db black series LNB for C120 flange later this year. No idea of price yet but I plan to get one for my Arcon dish.

Vin Blanc

My early Multimo and earlier Arcon Sweety both had unscrewable LNB :rolleyes:

Edited by Watson(JohnG)