Christmas

teecee

Hillhead CC site in Devon has an excellent reputation for an over Christmas stay. I believe Christmas lunch is available from the onsite restaurant.

If you aren't bothered about a meal on site then Broadway CC site is also very pleasant (especially at that time of year). You are within walking distance of Broadway village so I imagine Christmas meals are available in the village.

Ian

We stayed at Stanmore Hall nr Bridgenorth at christmas a couple of years ago,we had a fully serviced pitch overlooking the lake and it was great,we would definately go there again.

Hillhead CC site in Devon has an excellent reputation for an over Christmas stay. I believe Christmas lunch is available from the onsite restaurant.

If you aren't bothered about a meal on site then Broadway CC site is also very pleasant (especially at that time of year). You are within walking distance of Broadway village so I imagine Christmas meals are available in the village.

Ian

Checked out Hillhead last month and was already fully booked for the Christmas break.

Dave

Alderstead Heath CC Site near Redhill, south of Croydon, just inside M25.

We've had 5 Christmas holidays here in last 8 years!

40mins into central London, 35mins to Brighton, 1hr to channel tunnel (great for day trips to France/Belgium).

There is no congestion charge in London between Christmas & New Year.

There is no parking charges in London on Bank Holidays.

There are loads of free museums (Science Museum, Natural history Museum, V&A etc) so if weather turns, always something to do!!

Site is VERY quiet and extremely pretty.

Madrunner we will be a little more conservitive, Blackshaw Moore CC site Leek Staffordshire, boarders the peak district 4 miles from Buxton fantastic walking and only 40 minutes from where we live, some say you have not gone far but its the relaxation and different inviroment that counts. Had a fantastic time their last year, minus 13 below for the first 4 days, had to drill the awning pegs in,after that a big thaw.

Regards

NigelH

Carnon Downs Caravan Park near Truro. Excellent site, friendly owners, good location, heated loo blocks, hard standing, Caravan Club standard and it's open to non-members too.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Mad runner obviously you were at Lose hill CC site. Would you believe it when l was courting the wife back in1971 l broke my leg playing that stupid game football? To relieve the boredom of just sitting around doing nothing my now father-in-law used to take me once and while in is 8 wheel tanker filled full of silica sand on a trip to the Sheffield Steel Furnaces from BIS in Cheshire (British Industrial Sands) via Mam Torr which is called the shifting mountain, now that was an hell raising drive down that mounting road. As you are well aware having been to Castleton you can still see the old road and still walk it, could you believe that at one time that 28, 32, and 42 ton trucks used to use this road to get to the steel factories of Sheffield.

Blackshaw Moore CC is about 12 to 18 miles from Castleton but equally has beautiful, its situated on the Staffordshire Derbyshire moors what’s called to us locals has the roaches, if you love the peak district you must try this site only 5 miles from Buxton and if you have Grandchildren a must visit Alton Towers. But for me the outstanding views of the roaches from this site cannot be missed (see back issues of Practical Caravan Mag and the CC mag)

Now enough of my location we are thinking of changing Sandringham to Hereford CC affiliated site Luckshall, its about around your area what’s it like have you ever been, the father in-law is their at the moment and from his reports its brilliant. Hope to go before it closes at the end of Nov.

NigelH

Edited by Nidge4

Trucks going up and down the old road ? That I could not even begin to imagine - it was tough enough walking up it !!!!!

It does sound equally stunning over your neck of the woods and some great tips for future stops.

Lucksall - stunning site. We stayed there last November and I rate it highly. If you can get a pitch right on the river bank even better. The local pub is a great hostelry !!!

We are not too far from there so will be planning to get back very soon.

Madrunner do you know wether the pub is dog friendly, no matter if it isn't always chill out with beer in the van. We have done the Cotswolds but not around Herefordshire or Worcester believe it wonderful hence changing from Sandringham to Lusksall all being well.

NigelH

Hi Nigel,

yes I can confirm it most definitely is !!! We went for a cracking 6 mile walk from the site finishing at the pub with the 2 dogs for a bar meal and a couple of swift halves. The public bar takes the hounds no problem at all .

Cheers Madrunner, will most definatley be trying this one, maybe next year in early spring. Wife wants to see the different winter folage and what birds have arrived at Bradacaster marshes for the winter. Have you arrived back from Scotland what was it like, can't get the wife to go for love or money, says their are to many midges, l myself would love a trip up there. Still set to take delivery of the Madrid on the 27th hopefully, was due on the 17th hope Baileys don't alter the schedule again, otherwise will be off to Norfolk even later. We could go l suppose in the Clubman for one last trip but don't want to chance fate.

Regards

Nigel

You're most welcome !

Just got home after a long haul from Grantown to home, 543 miles in all. Scotland was just fabulous. One day of midges when the wind calmed but otherwise some spectacular views coupled with spectacular weather (caught the edge of the hurricane in fort William that was rather interesting) all in just shy of 2000 miles, some very windy towing and the van was faultless. Warm, towed like a dream and took everything the weather had to throw at it. Fingers crossed bailey get you your van when they day they will - you must be biting your fingernails with anticipation by now ?!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Madrunner have you had any problems with your Microwave some have said screws work loose, with the distance you have towed would have surely shown up. Fingers crossed still due to pick the Madrid up on the 26th of October then its straight to Sandringham CC on the 28th or 29th, should give me enough time to check everything is working in the van.

NigelH

Hi Nigel,

We are actually away this weekend at Moreton in the Cotswolds. I have just wiggled the microwave (in readiness for brekkie) and it's as tight as the day we collected it.

So far we've racked up approaching 3000 miles since June and touch wood not one fault on the van. It's utterly brilliant.

It's getting close to your collection now, fingers crossed it doesn't get delayed. ...

Madrunner are you at the CC site in Morton, if so nice site isn’t it we’ve done Cotswold loads of times, Morton in the Marsh, Broadway and once stayed in a Cottage called the Dolls House at Bid bury, trouble was all the Japanese kept ogling us through the window, plus at that time l had just bought the wife an MGF VVC for a 45th Birthday, they kept meithering me to let them sit in it and have their photos taken.

Wife at the moments is all pent up waiting for the Madrid, first time we have not been away for over 12 weeks usually done 3 weekends away plus a 10 day break. The sale’s guy l deal with is not available this week due to him being at the NEC but sent an email that it was still planned to be built on the 17th of October and hopefully they would receive it at the end of that week, that was the last information we received last Monday nothing so far this week so l presume its still on track. The reason we haven’t been in the Clubman is the wife doesn’t want to tempt fate. l am thinking or purchasing a duvalay some say they are brilliant for the single beds in the Madrid, better than an ordinary duvet but may have to wait until Christmas as they aren’t cheap.

NigelH

Edited by Nidge4

Yes moreton in marsh - it was the first ever night away in a caravan for us just over 12 months ago. We live not 15 mins from there right on the north west fringes of the wolds.

Lol like the mgf story - I can see all the flashes and hear the camera clicks !!!

You would hope that as you are pretty much near the build date that it is set in stone now ?

Saw a truck full of baileys heading north on the m5 by Gloucester this morning.

We make up the entire front lounge as a bed - huge and plenty of room if the mutts decide to clamber up in the night lol

Hey Madrunner you live in a place that loads would be envious of, only draw back you may run into Clarkson ha! ha!, no joking apart lovely part of the country we love it because its easy to get to, hope one of those Baileys was mine, doubt it though otherwise would have heard, mind you not if most of Leisure Sales (our dealership) are at the NEC. Was planning to go but decided not worth it now we have ordered the Bailey.

We always do the Mancehester show a lot smaller than the NEC but will be bigger this time as its got a new venue along side the Trafford Centre. Anyway have good Christmas away in the van we are only going down the road to Blackshaw moore CC. Will be walking Tittersworth Res Christmas day, Boxing day up on the Roaches, before that just the matter of a trip across to Sandringham, looking forward to it only been in the Summer months so it should be a totally new experience.

Regrads

NigelH

Hi Nidge !

Yeah we are very very fortunate with the number and quality of sites in very close proximity - means I can grab the van by myself on a Friday afternoon, get to the site and pitched up ready for the wife - perfect !

Aha we went to the Manchester show last year, parked up just around the corner and did actually snap up a few bargains. We liked the show as it's so much easier to see everything whereas the nec is a days trek and you become a bit stir crazy.

Oh nice sites you've got planned . We are away at Tewksbury weekend after next then Warwick racecourse then hopefull Surrey all in the build up for Christmas and new year.

Last year we survived -16C with the swift so cannot wait to see how the alde heating deals with the winter !!!!

Yep Madrunner we survived last winter too, -12 when we arrived on Boxing day wish we had a fan heater with us to assist the Aldi to get up to temp, one draw back with the Aldi system it take's quite bit longer than the blown air system to reach a good ambient, nearly 2 hours in those severe conditions. Solved that problem with 2 kw fan heater learnt the hard way but once its up their its constant just like being at home no cold spots. One reason we went for the Madrid as its got everything the Clubman has, apart from external Satellite connection oh! and we will miss the outside shower to wash the dogs off after a run in the woods or fells where ever we may be. The bailey has other attributes though, what you lose with one you gain with the other so to speak.

Regards

Nidge

PS not been called Nidge since l was at school, ruddy long time ago that, before Adam was a lad Daughter tells me.

Edited by Nidge4

That sounds a very similar tale !! We had only been canning a couple of months during the freeze, aquaroll frozen, intake pipe frozen, stand pipes on site frozen. After a good session with the fan heater and bubble wrap hey presto all tickety boo after that !

The Madrid was a huge upgrade for us and apart from the external tv input it is the best purchase we could have made. Hopefully when work leaves me alone I will get the tv input sorted out.

Sorry to have brought back school memories ! I dare not think back to mine, although not that far back, still far enough !!!

Madrunner a little better off than you Wife’s fully retired me semi retired.

l worked for old ICI but the pharmaceutical Division that demerged into Zeneca Now AstraZeneca (thanks to that so an so Lord Hanson) but l was offered early retirement, a little to early for me at 56. l now do two days in the Family business which give's us plenty of weekends for caravanning and golfing, l only do Tuesdays & Thursdays. When you are younger its difficult to get those precious time’s off from work so enjoy your trips out in the van when you have the opportunity, wish l could have done l was maintenance engineer so it meant working quite a few weekends. Still that's in the past hope to get loads of weekends after Christmas in the Madrid. Next year we hope to do the new forest CC site, we will be looking to break the journey and stay at Tewksbury CC site on the way down, that's in your neck of the woods isn't it, or do you know a better site to break our journey, we like to get their around 1pm so we can relax and take the dogs for a run don’t like to do 250 miles in one hit.

NigelH

Edited by Nidge4