Cl And Mud

Stringvest

Just returned from a lovely, but some what hairy, 10 days on a CL in Devon, the hairy part being the winds.

The mud part started as we arrived, we stopped in the entrance to the CL which was gravel to assess the pitch locations, decided where we wanted to go, and then found we couldn't move, the off side wheel of the caravan had sunk up to the axle, as I tried to move off the front wheels of our tow truck dug them selves in rapid time.

Quick call to the CL owner and his wife appeared carrying bits of wood, ply etc to help us out, her husband, the farmer, was miles away with the tractor.

My wife, the farmers wife and I managed to get out by un-hitching, driving out, swinging the caravan around, hitching up again and with much pushing and shoving by two wives, eventually drive on to the CL.

Points to note, caravan down the end of the CL had two able bodied occupants who watched from the comfort of their van the whole time.

Next to where we were stuck, another caravan with three able bodied adults, one of whom came out to tell us they got stuck there to and had to un-hitch and pull their caravan out with a tow rope, he then went back inside and sat watching.

At the end of it we three were soaked through with rain and mud.

Big thanks to the farmers wife, who went off and returned with flask of tea and cake.

To the 5 who watched. .....................................................no comment.

And the post script.

As they were leaving later in the week, the three in the caravan parked near the gate got stuck, I realised what was about to happen, jumped in our tow truck and got it off the CL sharpish, went back to the caravan to get ready to go out, when we did go out, the three adults were well and truly stuck in the gate way looking a little peeved as we walked past and went out for the day.

Later on the farmers wife told me they called for help, and unfortunately as the the farmer was busy somewhere else. they had to wait for two and half hours while he made his way to them, via some cake and tea and various other trivial little jobs.

So it's true, what goes around comes around :)

I did feel rotten for not helping though, I lowered my self to their level.

So it's true, what goes around comes around :)

Spot on. Being comparatively new to caravanning (3 years) one of the things we have found, and enjoyed, is the way everyone mucks in when a fellow caravanner hits adversity. If we can't help each other out, then there is no hope.

You'd have thought the other caravanners would at least have OFFERED help even if you didn't need or want it. It's nice to be nice,

Compass Shadow 1988

I once towed a New Car and Caravan (both 1991) off a grass area.

He had driven onto the grass after a heavy rain downpour. Not only that, he had stopped at the lowest part of the grassed area.

I used my 1958 Series 1 Land Rover to do it. I towed the van out first and then the car.

He wanted to give me a fiver for my help but I refused it. I asked what his date of birth was. Puzzled he said Jan1970.

That explains it I said The Land Rover and me are older and know better than to drive onto sodden ground without checking first. :)

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I can't understand how anyone could sit and watch such an event, I couldn't sit in the van watching!

Over the summer I have helped a couple in the neighbouring van put up a full awning that was about to take off over the roof and damage their new van, the woman could barely hold down the awning while the guy was trying to get the poles together. My son also helped hold the awning down for them and more hands made the job a lot easier. It was soon in place and pegged out. The couple were extremely grateful for our help and said they would have been in trouble without assistance!

A couple of weeks later I helped a guy sort out his water pump issue, again he was extremely grateful.

Cost me nothing but a few minutes time and felt a lot more content than if I watched these people struggle.

Ian

Certificated Location. A very quiet site in the middle of a field. Never been to a "proper" CL myself but the site i'm on just now the touring area is very small with just 6 seasonal pitches.

I remember in 2004 or 205 these Germans were staying on site in a motorhome. They were up beside us in seasonals on the hard standing. Rather than take the road down to the site entrance there was a "dirt track" along the back of reception you could walk along fine. Now everyone knows the rain in Scotland is bad and this was Aberfoyle!

I heard someone bang on the caravan door and in very broken English he was asking if we could help tow him out as they'd drove into a ditch.

OH went to get the warden and I went with the guy as I thought they'd crashed at first but no, they'd went along this dirt track after a night of hellish rain and got stuck. The warden came up, went to get his land rover and a big strapand got them out but could have been alot worse all for a short cut!

Compass Shadow 1988

Certificated Location. A very quiet site in the middle of a field. Never been to a "proper" CL myself but the site i'm on just now the touring area is very small with just 6 seasonal pitches.

A-ha, thank you :)

We have pulled several vans off soggy pitches with our various 4 x 4s, its no hardship and stops the grass getting spoiled. Also pulled 0ne VW camper off! We keep a tow strop in the boot.

I have also repaired a chafed through caravan lighting cable in France for a guy (chocolate block and insulating tape). No problem as I am an ex aircraft electronics tech!

The guy was very grateful and we had a few pleasant evenings with him and his wife!

I have nearly always found caravnners to be helpful. Very often arriving on a site you will get other folks of all nationalities help if you are pushing the van, and have helpped myself.

To the OP I think your last sentence says it all. Personally I would still offer to help even the most rudest person, by helping them you may have been able to teach them a lesson that nobody else had.

Manners maketh man.

They would not have learned anything,

if it was in there nature to help someone in distress they would,

they will except help but not provide help,so well done for treating them the same way they treated you,

tbh if that was me, soon as arrived & noticed sooggy ground i would have u turned & found somewere else,

only do CL's if they have hard standing pitches me, so at least I know I can get in & out without using a tractor,

if I wanted to be dumped in a field I would of bought a tent from Halfords

Archived