Caravan Servicing Time

sprite

It's not really a moan as I don't mind my dealer having it a week, in fact it's easier for me than having to collect the same day, it's just I wondered why they specify that it is to remain with them for a week when from what I can gather a service would take about 4 hours or maybe less.

Does anyone know. ..it never occurred to me to ask at the time of booking. ...although I might when picking up! :mellow:

What about a approved mobile service fitter coming to you which saves towing the caravan to dealers ? . ..... and is normally cheaper . ;)

Dave

we would normally have the caravan in for a day and either the customer collects it same day or we deliver it back to them the same day or whenever it suits them. A "proper" full service should take a full day really.

My dealer is in salop, which means i have to travel from Solihull, past Telford to get to my dealer, are you telling me that you would collect and return my van??

Tony G

Kia Sorrento 2. 5 CDi 59 plate Towing 2011 Swift Conqueror 645

If it works I leave it!

Indeed but I was just wondering what the rationale behind it was.

Hi

My van has just been in Lowdhams at Nottingham they asked us to leave it which suited us very much although it is a 70 mile round trip.

They have plently of room at Notts and I did not need to worry about collecting the same day.

Saying that I did take a van to another dealer once who I couldnt wait to re collect from after service as I was so worried the van would not be looked after.

Official CITO guidelines are that a full service takes 4hrs! But in practice, that's a new van with no problems or parts needed - and even then it's a hell of a rush to do it in 4hrs!

We usually spend a full day (assuming no parts needing ordering).

Older vans can take a couple of days.

We find most of our customers are happy to drop it off at their convenience and collect at their convenience - usually on a Sunday - but we are flexible and aim to please!

My caravan has been with the dealer for Warranty repairs and an annual service for four weeks and I was due to collect it tomorrow for use tomorrow night and the following ten nights. I received a phone call from from the service department of the dealer, a hundred miles from my home at 1400 today to advise me that the caravan would not be ready before Saturday.

Following the call I had a conversation with the MD who told me he was really busy working on the dealers new website but he would break off this important task to look into the matter.

He looked into the matter and explained, not very plausibly, the reasons why my caravan could not completed at the time previously arranged. He blamed the manufacturers for extending their caravan water ingress to six years which has caused an increase in caravan buyers having their 'vans regularly serviced by the supplying dealers. This apparently put the service department under pressure and unable to cope with PDIs, annual servicing and warranty repairs. He could not explain why my caravan had been left to the very last minute to start the substantial warranty repairs and service as apparently, by his own admission, it has become common practice with all servicing and repairs at this dealership.

Posted Today, 01:07 PM

If it works I leave it!

Indeed but I was just wondering what the rationale behind it was.

A caravan has hardly any wear on the running gear. Most cars will go perhaps 30,000 miles before the brakes or barings are even looked at which is probably more use than a van would get over 10 years. So I cannot see anything waring out there.

The seals tend to only ever show up as a problem when they fail, service or not so keeping an eye on it should be ok for the van itself.

Electrics should last the lifetime as no moving parts and compared to my house gets little use.

That leaves the Gas fittings. The fire is hardly used in most vans and cooker really has almost nothing adjustable on it. So save for an inspection of the rubber pipes, what is there to do?

I am quite happy to check my van over myself just to see if anything has perished with age, I just bought new tyres and keep them inflated and inspected. After that it just gets fixed when it breaks.

It is a fairly old van that has had little use and is only actually used for a month out of a year.

Hi,

Our van is booked into Catterick Caravans next Tuesday and I could have it back the same day if I wanted and all for £100 for a full service,

regards,

Ian.

Posted Today, 01:07 PM

If it works I leave it!

A caravan has hardly any wear on the running gear. Most cars will go perhaps 30,000 miles before the brakes or barings are even looked at which is probably more use than a van would get over 10 years. So I cannot see anything waring out there.

The seals tend to only ever show up as a problem when they fail, service or not so keeping an eye on it should be ok for the van itself.

Electrics should last the lifetime as no moving parts and compared to my house gets little use.

That leaves the Gas fittings. The fire is hardly used in most vans and cooker really has almost nothing adjustable on it. So save for an inspection of the rubber pipes, what is there to do?

I am quite happy to check my van over myself just to see if anything has perished with age, I just bought new tyres and keep them inflated and inspected. After that it just gets fixed when it breaks.

It is a fairly old van that has had little use and is only actually used for a month out of a year.

Oh, I see where you are coming from and yes I did the same when I had an older van. ..had it serviced once not long after I got it to make sure brakes etc were ok but my new van has to be serviced by an approved workshop to maintain the warranty.

Archived