Repairing A Pro Tech Cover

Stringvest

Message added by CT Advertising,

pro-tec covers logo.jpgTop-quality covers from Pro-tec Covers.

Bespoke and breathable caravan covers that are safer and easier to fit.

Shop online today or call us on 01274 780 088.

I've just taken the cover out of the bag and found that there are small rips on both rear corners and a hole wear the gas vent comes through the roof, clearly the previous owner didn't pad out the those places.

I've got the repair patches, but does any one know how you apply them, sew or adhesive?

Thanks.

Robert :)

I had a similar problem and couldn't find my patches.

Called Protec they sent me approx 1/2 square metre of material FOC :D and told me to put a patch inside and outside (ie both sides of the hole) and fix each with Evostik.

HTH

G.

I've just taken the cover out of the bag and found that there are small rips on both rear corners and a hole wear the gas vent comes through the roof, clearly the previous owner didn't pad out the those places.

I've got the repair patches, but does any one know how you apply them, sew or adhesive?

Thanks.

Robert :)

i use a sink bowl turned upside down over my gas vent on the roof when I use my cover . Is there any damage to the area where the ariel is on the roof or did they bother to remove it ?.

Adhesive would be the easy way unless you have a machine that can sew thick materials and can gather it under the throat of the machine to get it through.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Hi Robert,

As stated above, if you haven't the machine or the skill to sew it, stick it on. We altered our from a Geist fit to a Hymer fit,changed length and door side, thankfully SWMBO is a seamstress with an industrial machine. You will find though the ProTec cover is a very worthwile investment. Catch ya later,indoors.

<a href=sdc11895.th.jpg' alt='sdc11895.th.jpg'>

Our protec cover wore into a small hole on the sharp end corner of the front roof jointing strip on its first winter use. Cary repaired it by hand stitching a patch of the extra material supplied with the cover. It was quite hard to stitch through and, also, to manage the cover in the house to get it positioned for her to sew - its a big item!! We did not use any glue

I subsequently rounded the jointing strip corners a little with a file.

In addition, immediately prior to fitting the cover, I now:

(1) Pad the jointing strip with lengths of foam pipe insulation which I stick onto the roof with duct tape.

(2) Attach lengths of pipe insulation around the edge of the status aerial - I use loops of elastic to hold this in place on this oddly shaped object

(3) Unscrew the cowl from the gas fire chimney and then pad the remaining stack with pipe insulation again secured with elastic loops.

(4) Pad the door hold-back catch with pipe insulation held on with duct tape. (The duct tape does not damage the paint work and pulls off without a trace)

It doesn't take long to take apply this padding and we've had no further problems with the cover wearing in the subsequent 3 years. As we live in quite an exposed place in the wind North West we, also, purchased the optional storm straps which help to stop cover moving about and hopefully reduce the possibility of further wear.

All this is worthwhile for the lovely clean 'van every time we take the cover off. A bid improvement on the way it was previously when the roof was covered with dirt and grit and leaves from the adjacent public grassed area.

I hope this helps.

Tim

i use a sink bowl turned upside down over my gas vent on the roof when I use my cover . Is there any damage to the area where the ariel is on the roof or did they bother to remove it ?.

Dave

I have used a Pom Pom hat on ours for the past 4 years.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I used Evostik Impact Adhesive today to apply patch's to a few holes in my Pro Tech caravan cover. First class result. It was so effective I was patching even the parts of the cover that looked a little worn. I wouldn't have done it without the advice of this thread. Thanks everyone.

Kieran