Cracks On My Caravan Casing

skint_eastwood

I wonder if anyone can shed light on this one - I bought a caravan 3 weeks ago (Bailey Pageant Auvergne), and just recently I have discovered a series of cracks on the front panel around the locker locks and the A frame casing. Also on the main panel around the handles. I didn't see these when I viewed the van and they seem hideous when its been raining. The van is clean as a whistle inside which I am happy with but I don't want to be towing something that looks unsightly on the outside. Can these cracks be fixed/filled/painted over? What is causing these cracks. .Thanks in advance.

post-45076-0-88699400-1316510490_thumb.jpg

post-45076-0-90701200-1316510646_thumb.jpg

post-45076-0-12098600-1316510774_thumb.jpg

post-45076-0-87792300-1316510851_thumb.jpg

The material is GRP (fibreglass) and the top outside coat (gelcoat) has stress marks which is called cobwebbing . The easy option is to ask a local bodywork repair shop to rub them down and fill the cracks and spray the panels to hide the damage . The areas would need drying out before work carried out as once the outside skin is broken water penertrates the fibreglass underneath (called osmosis) .

Dave

So the caravan isn't rotting as such is it? Regards filling - are you chatting about isopon or something and what about spraying the same colour? Wouldn't the colour stick out like a sore thumb or can you get the exact colour? Does this damage happen over time?

The night my caravan was being reversed into my drive (uphill) there was a terrible creaking noise - what would that be?

The night my caravan was being reversed into my drive (uphill) there was a terrible creaking noise - what would that be?

It sounds like the Alko stabiliser creaking which can be cured by cleaning with a cleaning fluid like brake cleaner. Is the towball clean with the paint removed ?

Dave

Dave, I don't have a stabaliser fitted - can the creaking still occur without? Also it wasn't my car that towed the van so don't know if there is paint on the towball but I will find out. Sorry but Im new to caravanning and won't be able to use the van till next year. I will be getting a towbar fitted on my car next week.

Thanks

Hi,

Depending on the year of your caravan the hitch is also the stabiliser, do you have a large, red handle you have to press down after the coupling is located on the tow ball ? if so that is the stabiliser, its built in, otherwise the groaning can be caused by a dry ( not greased ) tow ball, however make sure which type of coupling you have ,--- putting grease on the stabiliser type is the kiss of ( expensive ) death ! perhaps you can post a pic of the coupling ? Regarding the stress cracks in the gel coat, we use to get this in canal boats made from fibreglass ( people hitting lock gates ! ) if you leave it untreated the water inside can freeze in winter, expanding and making the crack worse. as Dave said dry it out fill in the cracks and re- spray. Now regarding -spraying do you have say a hatch door ( toilet tank access door? )

look in your local trade directory for car resprays / car refinnishers take the door along to them and they should be able to match the colour even faded ones as yours will be. Some places can mix the paint and put it in aerosols, you then spray it yourself. Otherwise you might be able to arrange to take the van to them to have it re- sprayed, but this will cost ! Hope this is of use.

cheers david 1220

If its not the stabiliser creaking it could be the brakes as reversing up a drive will put the brakes on due to the over run braking system and the mechanism is sticking on instead of releasing. I would get the caravan serviced now or next year before you intend to use it for the working parts like brakes and hitch and the gas appliances check for your families safety .

Dave

Can I fill these cracks myself and where would I get the stuff to do it? I just paid £3000 for the van so I don't intend to add too much more expense so I want to do it as cheap as possible. I will also be keeping the caravan in my drive over the winter. Regarding the year of my caravan - I don't know because it doesn't seem to be CHRIS registered (no markings on the windows) and I cant see a chassis number anywhere. I was told it was a 2000 but it could be anything from 1995-2000. It was the cleanest van I saw at the time.

You could V the cracks out, clean the area up with acetone then then fill them with gelcoat filler. Or you could try just polishing the area - the cracks may be less visible if the area is shiny. Glassfibre is prone to this sort of defect. It has probably been like it for years and will not get any worse over time. If you fill the cracks they will probably reappear as they are caused by the panel flexing. A professional repairer would probably reinforce the area from behind, grind off the cracked gelcoat then re-gel and refinish. The result would look like new, but it is time consuming and expensive work.

I would clean and polish it and see how it goes.

Thanks AlandMel, vhat is "V" the cracks mean?? Also, what would I use to clean and polish (T Cut maybe?), The cracks looks very cobweb and very light so how would you remove the black from the crack? I had thought of masking off an area, and scraping into some cracks and filling them but then I've never done this before. I suppose polishing/waxing whe area would keep the area waterproof over the winter. Just let me know what stuff to use to use on it. Is "Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure any good?

Thanks

Archived