Do Your Cables Hang Low, Do They Swing To & Fro?

springtime

Well the song goes something like that :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I am always worried about the hookup cables hanging too low when towing.

I do adjust them but I suspect that they move back to their original hanging position which in my opinion is too low.

I suppose I could use an elastic bungee to hold them up which would still allow the necessary movement when turning.

Am I the only one with these concerns?

Have you tried feeding/sliding them back under the caravan along the A frame to remove the excess cable ? This is a problem that is made worse with 13pin - 2 X 7pins adaptors are used . I used to use bungees straps with my adaptor and this works fine but now changed to 13 pins plugand socket .

It is not just you as Its a common problem on here as members post topics on cables that have been worn through being dragged along the road .

Dave

If you don't use a hitch lock when on the move, feed your plugs through the alko stabiliser handle before you close it.

Edited by SamD

Putting them through the stabilser handle sounds like a good idea :)

Why didn't I think of that? :wacko:

I put a loop in each cable and then use a bungy thought the loops and then hook it on jockey wheel clamp handle.

Works for me.

G.

USING A HITCHLOCK WHILST MOVING?

tut tut!

Why not?

The only downside is that it is claimed the emergency services do not like the practice because it can delay them in dealing with an incident.

if your caravan/trailer comes off the car the hitchlock being on can actually help to flip the car over too. put the hitchlock on at services. having had a customer recently that had this happen I would never advise the hitchlock to be on whilst travelling. The gentleman in question is now wheelchair bound and only 36yrs of age.

My sockets are both to the left of the ball. I bring the cables out of the right side of the hitch and lay them into the bellows of the overrun piston and then into the sockets with the stabiliser clamp over the top. Even full compressed reversing or on overrun there is sufficient slack in the bellows not to pinch the cables but the "V" shape holds them loosely. To align them to the sockets I always twist them counter-clockwise which forms a slight loop as a spring action when the van swings on the ball. This gives me two separate drop loops on either side of the hitch to hang any slack

if your caravan/trailer comes off the car the hitchlock being on can actually help to flip the car over too. put the hitchlock on at services. having had a customer recently that had this happen I would never advise the hitchlock to be on whilst travelling. The gentleman in question is now wheelchair bound and only 36yrs of age.

The alko hitchlock, for a 3004, stops the hitch handle being lifted. If the van come off the towball then the lock comes off as well.

It is not designed to stop the van coming off but only to stop the handle being lifted, so how, when the van comes off, does it then flip the van?

Puzzled.

Brian

if the van turns over its best it leaves the car surely? Unfortunately the customers van in question flipped over and the hitchlock was on his car also went over after roughly 50yds. His insurance company refused to pay out.

I might just add that this was a customer that came in asking advise after the incident had happened. I'm not saying that this is the absolute right or wrong way its just my personal opinion from this particular accident and i would personally never travel with a hitchlock on because of this. I don't see the need for one when in motion.

I put a loop in each cable and then use a bungy thought the loops and then hook it on jockey wheel clamp handle.

Works for me.

G.

And me. :)

Bungee tying them together above the A frame. Never had any problems.

Regards, Mike

Mine hang low too! I think they are as short as I can get away with alowing for tight turns, so what I have done is wind a short lenght of cheap Wilco cable tidy around them so if they do touch the road occasionally it is that that gets worn.

twist them together leaving enough slack for right angle manouvers

My sockets are both to the left of the ball. I bring the cables out of the right side of the hitch and lay them into the bellows of the overrun piston and then into the sockets with the stabiliser clamp over the top. Even full compressed reversing or on overrun there is sufficient slack in the bellows not to pinch the cables but the "V" shape holds them loosely. To align them to the sockets I always twist them counter-clockwise which forms a slight loop as a spring action when the van swings on the ball. This gives me two separate drop loops on either side of the hitch to hang any slack
You have described exactly what I did with our last outfit with the sockets to the left of the towball :D

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

• 3 weeks later...

With 13pin cable fitted to car and passed over the top of the rubber belows, I fitted a cable tie to the small slot at the front of the A Frame (seen from below) helping the cable to stay sufficiently above ground and allowing full movement when turning, without any cable damage.

Bungy - keeps them safe and to stop as much stress on plugs and cables as possible