Tyre Replacement

Stevenj

I can understand the problem of tyre replacement on caravans, they still look o/k, plenty tread left,no apparent damage to the walls, so why should I forkout £150 for a pair of Tyres, I will change them for the next trip :mellow:, and on it goes until they malfunction :wacko: . But what is the recomended time interval ? 3,4, 5,years, I remove my wheels and keep them in the hut for the winter, so does that make them last longer ?? If you keep them covered in the summer months does that make them last longer ??? with the car its a different ball game they wear out and need replaced every year or two,"depending on how they are driven" But the Van is Tricky,

Stevenj

I can understand the problem of tyre replacement on caravans, they still look o/k, plenty tread left,no apparent damage to the walls, so why should I forkout £150 for a pair of Tyres, I will change them for the next trip :mellow:, and on it goes until they malfunction :wacko: . But what is the recomended time interval ? 3,4, 5,years, I remove my wheels and keep them in the hut for the winter, so does that make them last longer ?? If you keep them covered in the summer months does that make them last longer ??? with the car its a different ball game they wear out and need replaced every year or two,"depending on how they are driven" But the Van is Tricky,

Stevenj

Hi StevenJ

I would say 5 years maximum.

As for cost of replacement, I got 2 Nexens fitted and balanced for £90, at least that doesn't hurt as much as £150 :rolleyes:

Stevenj, you are doing all the right things to ensure your tyres will remain in very good useable condition for a long time indeed.

Removing the tyres and storing them in a cool dark place and not under load is the very best possible thing for them, oh and when they are off the van (if you haven't already done so), get them balanced as well.

Treating your tyres in this way should ensure they remain in nearly new condition with greatly reduced compound degradation. In my opinion, unless your insurance policy states otherwise, then it should be OK to use them for far longer than the normal 5 or 6 years, after all some owners of classic cars I know do exactly the same as you are doing and then go and drive on the open roads or even race on them and in some cases their tyres are 10 or more years old!!

The Caravan Club's recommendations are good enough for me and I think that trying to make adjustments for what effect we think a tyre having an easier life may have is too risky.

Some info on caravan tyres can be found here including what the CC say.

I like most would change tyres sooner than is if any signs of deterioration had appeared.

I did think at one time that the tyres on my TA had a relatively easy life but

piece of video shows just how much flexing they get.

Hard to put a price on piece of mind I suppose.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Caravan club (and others) say ideally change after 5 years and before 7 years. I change mine at 6 although on occasion over the last 30 years it has approached 7 years When I lived in a previous house the 'van was on the front of the house and one side faced due south. I used to protect this with a board. Here the van is down the side and the tyres are shaded and so I don't bother. .

The Caravan Club's recommendations are good enough for me and I think that trying to make adjustments for what effect we think a tyre having an easier life may have is too risky.

Some info on caravan tyres can be found here including what the CC say.

I like most would change tyres sooner than is if any signs of deterioration had appeared.

I did think at one time that the tyres on my TA had a relatively easy life but

piece of video shows just how much flexing they get.

Hard to put a price on piece of mind I suppose.

Hey that's interesting,

It's the second set of tyres on a 4 wheel configuration that takes the strain. I suppose it's because they can't follow the same arch as the front set when turning so there is a certain amount of flexing & potential scrub.

I wonder if twin axles are more prone to tyre problems?

I know its all spend with caravans, but lets face it.

Your tyres are what makes contact with the road.

All the investment and effort you put into your van is only as good as the tyres it sits on.

There was a thread the other day about a blowout.

Is this an area to skimp on ?

We had our tyres changed last year and they lasted 9 years. The degradation got picked up at an annual service.

I was blissfully aware that caravan tyres did this and thought in car terms (mileage only).

Now I have them checked every year.

I know that a lot of people have a vested interest in selling you tyres, but I would go along with the experts advice - £150 is a lot of money but compared to the value of your van ?

Hi, ive just changed my tyres, e tyres came to my house, all fitted etc, £100. i like to be frugal, but, if for nothing more than peace of mind you change them every 4 years, thats £25 per year or 50p a week !!, is it really worth taking any kind of chance. . point is stretching your tyre life to say 6 years is prob ok, but to save 50p a week. ...........come on, no brainer. Stu

I understand that the tyre life may be extended if they are removed from the vehicle over winter and stored in a cool dark and dry place. Personally though, I have owned caravans and motorhomes to use, not to store, so by definitaion the tyres stay on all year round, are exposed to all elements and are under load all the time, so have always been replaced at 4 to 5 years.

The exceptions being on the two caravans where we did a lot of rallying and literally wore the tyres out after three years, and of course the punctured tyres that were discarded (one with a small bolt through the tread (picked up at the dealers), and one with a shredded sidewall (thanks to a blowout caused by debris on the motorway)!

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Stevenj

Caravan tyres carry twice the weight as a car tyre in most cases as the weight is only taken on one axle so the strain is greater also they are at greater pressures upto 65 psi . When a tyre has a blow out its the bracing that fails which is the part you cant see as its inside the tyre so a tyre can look perfect on the outside . My tyres are stored inside over winter and covered by wheel covers in the summer but they are now 6yrs old and will be changed at the start of next year .

As said its not worth the risk as it could be your life and other road users that is then at risk.

Dave

As others have said change the tyres at five years old and never let them go beyond seven and lets face it what is £150. 00 if you do pay that much against the price of a wrecked van and maybe worse.

Stevenj

As said the usual time frame is 5 too 7 years BUT as you say if the tyres look ok and have no damage why should you replace them ??.Its very easy too say "whats £150 when you are talking about tyre" well its a lot of money if you dont want too spend it or havent got it. Any tyre can blow at any time new or old on van or car. If your tyres dont have any cracking in the sidewalls then they should be fine. IMO you have too be prepared too trust your own judgement on issues like this after all the vast majority of posters (myself included)are not tyre "experts".

peter.

Having recently purchased some new tyres for my Land Rover Defender from one of the UK's most highly regarded tyre and wheel suppliers (Silverline), I was horrified to discover on delivery of them here to France that they were all over 4 years old, yet still new!

Now I know that Silverline and other reputable tyre suppliers keep their unsold stocks in cool, dark and well ventilated storage facilities where there will be little if any compound degradation but that can't be said about the way I have seen tyres racked in some caravan dealers or indeed normal garages I have visited over the years where in some cases they are left fully exposed to the sun and general ravages of the weather.

On making enquiries recently it would appear that there is little or no UK legislation concerning the storage or indeed sale of new tyres, so if you are buying new tyres, make sure you are getting new tyres by checking the manufacturing date codes.

Oh and just in case any one might wonder why I buy tyres in the UK for delivery to France, well they are at least half the price!

Edited by bigjimmy

I have never changed a caravan tyre, just changed the caravan at 7 years old.

Never had a problem, but i do remove them for the winter and store them in an integral garage, so the temperature remains above zero.

I have driven my van on 14 year old tyres (home when I bought it) and they really did look as good as new but really I would not trust them.

I see no point in all this shading and keeping indoors, all that does is stop the outside 1mm drying out. Each time the tyre goes round it flexes the rubber. Old rubber flexes less and can burst.

Most van tyres have a good 500kg on them, perhaps three quarters of a ton going round a corner. That is a lot to ask of a 5 year old tyre.

The classic car may be 1 ton spread over 4 tyres at half the pressure of a van, and driven gently so may last for many more years.

I am a real cheapscate (well hard up) but first thing I did was replace the tyres on my van.

PS When you do make sure you get new ones not ones sitting in the tyre depot for a year.

It would appear Ellisfield that you know better than any of the Worlds tyre manufacturers and UK & European tyre trade organisations when you write "I see no point in all this shading and keeping indoors, all that does is stop the outside 1mm drying out."

Exposing a tyre to direct sunlight without regular movement can and does result in vastly accelerated tyre degradation. .......... full stop !!!

Edited by bigjimmy

Having recently purchased some new tyres for my Land Rover Defender from one of the UK's most highly regarded tyre and wheel suppliers (Silverline), I was horrified to discover on delivery of them here to France that they were all over 4 years old, yet still new!

It's wonderous that you, with your interest in all things black and round, accepted four year old tyres. But it is a drawback of buying abroad. .. quel dommage n'est pas!

Seriously, Silverline stock control needs overhauling! No matter how they were stored a four year old tyre, sold as new, is misleading to say the least.

It would appear Ellisfield that you know better than any of the Worlds tyre manufacturers and UK & European tyre trade organisations when you write "I see no point in all this shading and keeping indoors, all that does is stop the outside 1mm drying out."

Exposing a tyre to direct sunlight without regular movement can and does result in vastly accelerated tyre degradation. .......... full stop !!!

OK so it was a bit of a sweeping statement, but it was in the context of responding to the posts above it.

My point was that you keep a tyre five years and then replace it.

In those five years I would be very surprised if the sun or cold could make the tyre unusable so that is why I dont bother.

If you are then going by a policy of keeping your tyre in the shade and out of the cold you then have a nice new looking tyre. You then kid yourself it is like new and keep running it over five years. Then you hit problems.

Look at any blown tyre and it has failed from well within the tyre with the rubber and ply splitting. It is not failing because the outside 1mm is a bit dry looking.

So what then is the point of cosseting you tyres, they will in any event last five years! I was reacting to a train of thougt that seemed to be that you could "look after the tyre" and it will then last well beyond five years.

(this is a differet matter to having the van sit there for a year and getting a flat spot)

Seriously, Silverline stock control needs overhauling! No matter how they were stored a four year old tyre, sold as new, is misleading to say the least.

would that be classed as mis-representation?

New ? more like NOS ( New Old Stock )