Hitch Hight

therealboss

Pick up my Avondale 556-6 on Sat and as I have a Land rover Discovery the hitch is high on it, just got me thinking if I need to lower it. What is the hight of the hitch on a 556-6 +/- 20mm so I can set the tow ball to the correct hight before I pick up the van on Sat.

Hi,

Go for 16/17 inches from ground this was o. k. with our avondale osprey

david1220

The height to the centre of the towball should be 385mm from the ground (plus or minus 35mm) ie 350mm to 420mm

The height to the centre of the caravan hitch should be 415mm (or minus 35mm) ie 380mm to 415mm height.

Remember that the 556-6 will have a dry Al-Ko hitch, and so the towing vehicle will require either an Al-Ko towball, or a swan-neck towball that is free from either paint or grease on the ball itself.

Gordon.

Al-Ko towball dimensions.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Sounds good to me. I hope all goes well with the pickup on Saturday.

All the best,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

So do I, I have never had anything longer than 16ft behind the Disco so this will be the first time I have had to tow something over 20ft. I have had cherry pickers, Nato trailers, Generators in tow but nothing over 16ft but loads with much more weight, most I have pulled is about 3500kg the max for a Disco.

I will just take my time.

The caravan length should not be a problem, after all, if the front fits through a gap, the back will follow :rolleyes:

The rear caravan corners should be visible in your towing mirrors, so I think you'll be surprised how litle difference the extra couple of feet will make. The thing that is most noticable, is when/if you move to a wider body caravan. Then even a couple of inches feels initially like a mile!

Have fun,

Gordon.

Hi,

Good luck ! but beware of " swing out " when turning corners / roundabouts and touching other things ( cars/ people/ signs/ hedges, etc--- dont worry take your time and as i said --------------- good luck !

david1220