Charles De Gaulle Airport To Dunkirk - Toll Free Route

Hello All,

Last and final toll free route for a long, long trip.

From Paris CdG to Dunkirk. ?

I can see it is pretty well tolled from Paris to Lille, where it becomes "toll free"

So, best route to Lille is fine, ,,,,,,,

Graham

Graham,

Via the toll roads its approx €15 more and 1 and 1/2 hours less than the non-toll route.

All according to Via Michelin.

So you just have to decide which is important time or money.

For me approx, £13 for a much shorter journey time is well worth it!

Look here. .. http://www. viamichelin. com/

HTH

Graham (too!)

Edited by chapmag

Hi Graham,

Pulling a twin axle, puts me into class 3

Class 3 paris to Lille is 33. 10 euro.

If it was just 15 euro, then I would have a think on it.

Soissons, Couchy le Chateau, Chauny, St Quentin, Cambrai, Douia, Lille, then up the A25. We've done that trip several times and it's perfectly towable, even the little yellow road from Soissons to Chauny is OK. There's a nice layby 'under' Couchy le Chateau, which looks a spooky place - not somewhere you'd want to be at dusk, as we were one time, with dogs howling in the background somewhere!

Are you not back yet? LOL

Head for Lille and up the A25.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Are you not back yet? LOL

Head for Lille and up the A25.

Russell

Hi Russ, Stretching this one out just a few more days.

It's been 2 and half months away already.

Hi Val,,

Should Val's route work OK,

Soissons, Couchy le Chateau, Chauny, St Quentin, Cambrai, Douia, Lille, then up the A25. We've done that trip several times and it's perfectly towable, even the little yellow road from Soissons to Chauny is OK. There's a nice layby 'under' Couchy le Chateau, which looks a spooky place - not somewhere you'd want to be at dusk, as we were one time, with dogs howling in the background somewhere!

Bon Voyage,

Graham

Hi Graham,

Pulling a twin axle, puts me into class 3

Tow vehicle under 3500 kg and height between 2 and 3 metres = classe 2

Classe 2 : - Ensemble roulant ayant une hauteur totale supérieure à 2 mètres et inférieure à 3 mètres avec un véhicule tracteur d’un PTAC inférieur ou égal à 3,5 tonnes

http://www. autoroute. ..s-vehicules. htm

PTAC= Poids Totales Autorise en Charge = Gross Vehicle Weight or MAM

PTRA = Poids Totales Roulant Autorise = Gross Train weight

Edited by beejay

Graham,

Sounds like quite a trip, how did the LC behave? safe journey on your last leg.

Nick

Behaved very well.

Average towing between 19 mpg and 21 mpg.

Depends on the fuel quality.

Graham

Edited by Champ

Behaved very well.

Average towing between 19 mpg and 21 mpg.

Depends on the fuel quality.

Graham

hi graham did this route two weeks ago.

Senlis,creil, and amiens via N1, N916 to aire sur la lys N42/43 around St Omer and get onto D600/300 straight to the port.

decent roads all the way.

fill up at Auchan just off A16

no tolls at all

cheers rodders B)

What are these N and A number thingies, and place names?

1. Switch on sat-nav.

2. Set options to 'fastest' route and 'avoid tolls'.

3. Enter 'Dunkirk'

4. Go.

:P

Not for the luddites (like us) who don't have a SatNav! We still rely on maps, place names, and road numbers - and we think it's actually much more fun than just being 'taken' somewhere by your SatNav!

Not for the luddites (like us) who don't have a SatNav! We still rely on maps, place names, and road numbers - and we think it's actually much more fun than just being 'taken' somewhere by your SatNav!

5 years BSN (Before Sat-Nav), I used to enjoy planning routes on a map - until those times when I made a wrong turn or hit traffic. Back then, I had to pull over at the side of the road, get the map out, sort out what I'd done wrong - no problem. But now, with a whopping great shed on the back, that is not an easy option. ..(and my OH is no help - she has the spatial awareness and map-reading abilities of a mole - in a bag - with a cold). :)

And much more fun it is too Val with the map and directions from locals.

I love it when people turn up on sites "oooh satnav took us right round the back roads etc" - more so when, for example the CCC book states "do not use sat nav".

I do not use satnav and cannot see a use for it.

Relying on satnav is risky business - if the thing shuts down, loses it's signal etc. ...just as you are approaching a crossroads. For those that like it, satnav is probably best as the secondary system with a good map to hand.

Interesting Val to see you mention the Luddites - I grew up in their strong hold - Cleckheaton, Heckmondwike and so on! Anyway, I digress. ..

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Near us, then - Cleckhuddersfax is just over the hills to the south of us!

We had neighbours on a site in the Gorges du Tarn a year or two ago - and it had taken them 24 hours to do a journey which took us about five or six hours. They were using SatNav and it took them on the most ridiculously narrow and treacherous roads you could imagine! They were frantic when they arrived. When we said we'd been at the same site the night before, and come using ValNav and a map, and showed them the way we'd come, they didn't believe just how near they actually were to the site we were now on. They'd come down a road that I wouldn't even use without a caravan on the back!

Fortunately I'm one of these (perhaps few) women who can just 'naturally' read a map - and even Mr Val A admits that my map reading skills are second to none! I've got us out of a few sticky situations, particularly in the Loire one year, when the Route Barree sign appeared on the road junction to the major road we were supposed to be taking and suggested a 30 km detour was in operation. I said, quickly, 'Go left, and on to the next junction, turn left there on the little road through the village, and take the back road to St Pierre sure Loire, then over the narrow bridge to Sully sur Loire, and first left, then carry on and in about 10 km we'll be at the side of the bridge across the Loire, for the site we want - we were!!! Others who had followed the detour, or their SatNav arrived a lot later.

Several years ago, perhaps even before SatNav, we were on our way to Ramsgate to catch the Sally Lines ferry, and there was a complete block on the M2. Fortunately our map book showed that the service area, where we were at the slip road, had a small bridge across to the hotel on the opposite carriage way. Car and caravan diverted up the slip road, and across the bridge, around the back of the hotel complex, then back on the other carriageway, in the opposite direction to the next roundabout, and then a traffic beating trip along the A229 (I think) got us to our ferry on time! I doubt that any SatNav could have reacted as quickly in either situation!

Maps are lovely! I value ours, and we have old ones that we take with us, with Michelin campsite symbols, and we have transferrable 'Caravan accessible fuel station' or 'Lovely picnic area' or 'Nice Views from here' or 'Good Aire for a stop with clean toilets' and we put them on to each new Michelin Atlas and update them on any more recent visits!

I'm glad to hear there are some other none SatNav users - I sometimes feel like a voice in the wilderness when I say I can get us to A from B as easily as a SatNav - and without the aggravating voice!

If you can navigate around Cleckhuddersfax and Cleckheackmondsedge, you don't need satnav! :D

Russell

Like ValA, I love my maps, about January out they come all over the Lounge floor,and like her my OH tells every one that am second to none at reading them, we do have a sat nav very useful to take you straight to an address in a town that you have not been to before. We use it in England mostly, this year we took it to Italy it is so handy if you are in the middle of a large town or city to get out and on the right road back to the camp site especially late at night, must admit we some times put it on just to see where she will take us( her name is Jane), but if we disagree we always go where I say. so as long as you don't take her advice as gospel and use your map you are OK. :)

and directions from locals.

Hold on, your profile says you're male but you stopped to ask for directions?! Something's not right there. .. :P

Like ValA, I love my maps, about January out they come all over the Lounge floor,and like her my OH tells every one that am second to none at reading them, we do have a sat nav very useful to take you straight to an address in a town that you have not been to before. We use it in England mostly, this year we took it to Italy it is so handy if you are in the middle of a large town or city to get out and on the right road back to the camp site especially late at night, must admit we some times put it on just to see where she will take us( her name is Jane), but if we disagree we always go where I say. so as long as you don't take her advice as gospel and use your map you are OK. :)

agreed, we just use ours as a tool. nothing to beat proper maps, but does help in cities etc.

cheers rodders B)

Hold on, your profile says you're male but you stopped to ask for directions?! Something's not right there. .. :P

I have even had locals in the motorhome taking me where I want to be! No shame!

In fact, in Lido di Jesolo, I got a local on to the coach to direct us - and he had a dog with him so I announced to the passengers we had acquired a guide dog!

Russell