Breakdown Cover

harvomark

Hi,

Thanks to the site i have found out i may not be covered for the caravan due to the size :rolleyes: I will have to confirm the size of the caravan as i believe it may be 7. 64m and the limit is 7. 6m.

1- Where can i confirm the shipping length of a Lunar Ultima 615?

2- Who would be the best to insure the above caravan and a 16 year old Mitsubushi Pajero with?

3- Who do you use and are the any good?

Many thanks in advance. :D

Hi,

Thanks to the site i have found out i may not be covered for the caravan due to the size :rolleyes: I will have to confirm the size of the caravan as i believe it may be 7. 64m and the limit is 7. 6m.

2- Who would be the best to insure the above caravan and a 16 year old Mitsubushi Pajero with?

3- Who do you use and are the any good?

Many thanks in advance. :D

Just use AA, no need to tie to any caravan club.

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

Hi,

. ...

I don't know about that particular model but see below. .. it could be as long as 7. 64 metres shipping length!

HTH

G.

Quasar 2004 Models Berths MIRO KG Payload KG MTPLM KG Internal Length Metres Shipping Length Metres Awning size cm's Layout code 462 2 968 222 1190 4. 69 6. 16 890 B EB 4 1040 260 1300 5. 23 6. 70 930 Y 524 4 1065 235 1300 5. 30 6. 82 940 S 525 5 1074 226 1300 5. 30 6. 82 940 E 615 5/6 1205 245 1450 6. 13 7. 64 1030 Y

Edited by chapmag

This must be one of the most discussed topics here. My recommendation is always Britannia Rescue obtained through the CSMA. But search the forum and you'll find (too) many other options.

I always use Green Flag through the caravan club (may day) But you don't need to be a C. C. member to join Green Flag.

Martin Lewis's web site also gives good recommendations, try moneysavingexpert. com. Peter :)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply's, i have searched the site but with me having a 16 year old grey import and a twin axle caravan alot of the breakdown cover sites require you to call them, working it is difficult at the moment. Alot of the threads on her say who are good and what they cover but never mention what car or caravan they insure. I was hoping someone would be in the same situation as me and point me in the right direction without me having to call endless companys to find out who give the best cover. From what i can make out red Pennant or Brittania may be my best bet but i need to comfirm the caravan's shipping length before i cancel my cover with Aviva.

Once again thanks. :D

bloody typical, called Aviva to confirm that they will not recover my caravan as it is over 7. 6 metres, turns out it is 7. 5 metres and they will not cover it on the insurance either :( So basically i have to cancel both and find both insurance and breakdown.

Most Insurance companies expect drivers to drive in accordance with the, the Directgov 'towing regulations' website which states, 7m in length and 2. 55m wide for the caravan body (excluding towbar and drawbar). ie There is a difference between the length of the caravan and the shipping length. The shipping length includes the drawbar. This information has been confirmed as correct by the NCC 'Caravan towing guide'.

This info is copied from part of an article in August 2011 Practical Caravan mag, Q&A section

Edited by bordeauxderek

Hi,

After complaining to Aviva it turns out i am insured for the caravan when towing regardless of the length but the breakdown will not recover the caravan due to it's size. I've been calling around insurance companys getting quotes etc. The advisor i spoke to got it wrong about the insurance and i have had it confirmed in email by the insurance company. :D

ADAC as Nick says is excellent go to my website and read about it there is a whole page on it. We used ADAC this year after being members for 3 years at a cost of 98. 70 euros you really cannot beat the cover or price which includes the UK and European Cover. plus much more.

ADAC as Nick says is excellent go to my website and read about it there is a whole page on it. We used ADAC this year after being members for 3 years at a cost of 98. 70 euros you really cannot beat the cover or price which includes the UK and European Cover. plus much more.

Hi Snooks,

Watched you recommendations for ADAC with interest for a while now.

But have been looking for people's experiences when they have needed to use them.

Are you able to share how you "used ADAC this year after being members for 3 years" and tell us of your experience?

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

We were unfortunate to pick up some dirty diesel at a BP Garage in Austria while stopping at a site in Germany. Within 1/4 hour of filling upthe engine stopped, not know what it was we thought we were low on oil so put some in at the next garage along the road. We then drove to the Campsite without problem. Next day we hitched the van so travel down to Berchtesgaden. On going through the local small town after 4 or 5 miles we had to clim a hill out of the town and the engine stalled again. It started again and we crawled up the hill and found a large Gastof with large forecourt wherewe parked and I went in to ask if I could call ADAC in Munich on the number on our documents. A guy answered and spoke perfect English he said "Sit down and have a coffee and we will ring you back in a while. 10 minutes later they rang and said a mechanic would be with us in 20 minutes. We went back to the van then and the breakdown lorry arrived within the 20 minutes. The mechanic, who spoke excellent English tested the car with a meter but could not find anything wrong so rang a Kia garage in Kempten and organized to take the car in on his low loader. I stopped with the caravan after getting permission to leave it in front of the Gastof while my husband went with the car. 2 hours later he returned in the car with a new filter fitted. We then hitched up and travelled on to Berchtesgaden. We found the ADAC Service excellent, could not fault anything or anybody. We have an 8 metre caravan and no UK company would cover it only the CC or C&C C and they want in excess of £300 so I appealed on a Caravan Forum to which I got 3 answers from ADAC members who recommended it and some had used their services too. We paid 98. 70 euro's when we joined 3 years ago and it has not gone up since. Everyone pays the same whatever age they are. Whatever age or size their car or caravan is. too. You are the one covered in any car you are driving or passenger in.

Edited by snooks

My latest Camping and Caravan Club magazine had a 25% off RAC offer valid till 31st Dec.

Future years at 15% off. :)

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

The problem with RAC is they do not cover the longer and wider vans.

May be wrong but can someone confirm that length and width restrictions have been removed on the Camping and caravan arrival breakdown cover.

After phoning lots of breakdown companies this is what i found out, Aviva breakdown will not cover caravans over 7. 6 m in either uk or europe. Brittania rescue will cover both car and caravan but only caravan when attached not when sited. AA will cover for the uk but not europe over 7. 0m. Red Pennant will only cover in europe if your car is no older than 15 years, my car is 16 years so they require proof of service history but i service myself. ADAC not sure due to all documents being in german and i like to read small print with insurers. So the best option at present is the Arrival breakdown from thecamping & caravan club which will cover caravan no restrictions and the pajero in both Uk & Europe, they will aslo cover the caravan if it has been sited.

We have just joined ADAC for the first time after looking at recommendations on this site. We are in France now, having taken the ferry from North Shields to Ijmuiden on Tuesday Sept 27th We were driving to our first stop near Rouen and stopped at an aire to refuel. When we drew into the service station the car was making a funny noise and when we stopped there seemed to be a "crack". After refuelling we pulled over and everything seemed to be OK so we decided to drive on. We just got to the bottom of the slip road when the car warning lights came on. We rang ADAC but they were unable to tow us off the motorway as SANEF are responsible for this. We were told to find an SOS box then ring them back when we were towed away. We put out our warning traingles, donned our green jackets and walked back up to the service station to the SOS box to report the breakdown. We then returned to the car and within 30 mins the breakdown truck appeared. The car was put on the truck and our twin axle Elddis Crusader caravan was hitched to the breakdown truck. The mechanic towed us to his garage in Lihon near Amiens. We then rang ADAC, they paid the 200 euros to have the car recovered but we had to pay 184 euros for the caravan. We spent the night in the garage compound and were able to hook up to the electric and had water. On Thursday ADAC arranged to have us towed to a lovely campsite in Amiens and the car has been taken to the Nissan garage. ADAC funded towing of both the van and car. They have also paid for the taxi fare to go and pick up a hire car, arranged by them. We are hoping our car will be fixed next week so that we can continue on our journey to Southern Spain. So far we have been very impressed with ADAC.

Brittania rescue will cover both car and caravan but only caravan when attached not when sited.

TBH I'm not sure how much of a problem this is:

1. What sort of problem would the van have when it is just sitting there?

2. Even if there was one how difficult would it be just to hitch up?

It seems to me that with a decently maintained caravan, the vast majority of problems will be tyre / wheel / brake related which would all make themselves known when towing.

. Brittania rescue will cover both car and caravan but only caravan when attached not when sited.

Not quite true as I specifically asked this question and the reply I received was that they are treated as "one unit". I asked what would happen if we went away on a site and then went out in the car that then broke down, would they recover the car and caravan - the answer was yes they treat them as 1 unit. what they would not cover is the dual journey cover taking you to the destination and then collecting you as 'Mayday' would, but that doesn't bother me, if the car broke down I wouldn't want to be stuck somewhere anyway.

Hi Icepuffin,

Must be dependant on who you talk to as I called Brittania to check whether they would recover the caravan if sited, if say the car was broken down while sightseeing and unable to be repaired in a reasonable time (eg headgasket), they said if i was close to the caravan then possibly but any distance away they wouldn't. this would be at their discreaton. This question related to European travel, i couldn't take the risk with being lumbered with having to repatriate the caravan if this sort of situation happened even if unlikely. i was looking at using Brittania as the AA & RAC have restrictions in Europe and Aviva wouldn't cover me even in the UK.

Hi Iansoady,

The issue isn't something happening to the van when sited it's if anything happens when your sightseeing say 50 miles away, and the car cannot be repaired for any reason they would only transport the car back to the UK not the caravan, you then have the issue of getting it back!

If it helps I have kept their reply and here it is.

I said - One scenario is if I arrive at a site and unhitch the caravan, go for a drive around and the car breaks down, if the breakdown to the car was more serious and not immediately repairable and our caravan was on a site would the cover extend to recovery / repatriation of car as well as the caravan.

Their reply:

Good afternoon

Your query has just been referred to me. I’m sorry for the delay.

Yes, we would help for the scenario you gave. If we weren’t able to repair your car locally, and your car and caravan then needed to be recovered home, we would bring you back.

We do indeed specify that caravans or trailers need to be being towed by a vehicle on cover. This is mainly to prevent caravans being assisted to which aren’t connected to our policy holders’ vehicles. So long as the journey was a planned trip with the car and caravan together, then we’re happy to treat them as one unit. The related exclusions to this are that caravans aren’t covered at the home address / place of storage.

I’m grateful to you for the feedback on this issue and we’ll do what we can to make things clearer. Please feel free to email me directly if you have any further queries. Hopefully, you won’t be unlucky enough to break down. But if you do, we’re here to help.

Kind regards

Rebekah Coldwell