Thetford Toilet To Mains Sewer Adaption?

SteveMilner

I may be having to use the van as a base for work. The site I have found is fully serviced including black water waste.

Is it possible to connect the thetford directly to the sewer using some gizmo.

If not I thought about buying a replacement cassette and cutting a hole in it and sealing a drain tube to it. (Or possibly fitting some kind of device that would allow the connection/removal of a hose)

Assuming I didn't use the loo for #2s what's the opinion of others here.

Anyone done this themselves?

Regards,

Steve

Firstly it is not possible to connect the toilet directly to the main sewer as there is no adaptor available to do so, and it would mean cutting a hole in the cassette service door.

Manufacturing an adaptor would be possible but very tricky, bearing in mind the neccesity to have an S bend imedeately after the bowl exit. The door can easily be taken off and put back later. I know that some toilets can be adapted, but not the Thetford models that are usually fitted to caravans/campers. (I have seen motorhomes plumbed in with 100mm tubing, but these were very large motorhomes designed for it). It might be possible to incorporate an electric masserator ('scuse spelling) so that smaller bore tubing can be used, but again could be very tricky to do. If it is only liquid, then simple plastic tubing can be plumbed in to the cassette. Bore a hole in the tank and close it off with a blanking plug when you've finished. We use a SOG unit to avoid having to use chemicals, and this means the cassette can be emptied as often as is convenient.

I think that's the way forward with this. Get an second hand cassette from fleabay and drill a hole into the front, near the release catch as low down as possible, and then seal in some kind of hose connection and take this out to the black water waste.

I would need to leave the door open, or as suggested remove it.

I'm not sure if it would drain adequately so I'm going to be giving this some more thought.

Oh, and I still need to get the job first, but fingers crossed!

Regards,

Steve

Black water waste is different from any waste from a toilet, whether solids or liquids.

It's not just a case of a physical connection. A BW system is not designed to take toilet waste of any sort. So it depends upon how the BW waste is disposed of.

Before doing anything you should check that site are happy for you to do it.

poolebob

PS I am not sure I would want to be the one to follow you.

Hi Poolebob.

That's fair comment. As I understand it, the pitch comes with water, grey waste and an individual toilet emptying point. I will discuss it with the campsite.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Poolebob.

That's fair comment. As I understand it, the pitch comes with water, grey waste and an individual toilet emptying point. I will discuss it with the campsite.

Regards,

Steve

An individual toilet emptying point would seem to be unsuitable or inappropriate for semi permanent connection to a toilet cassette. It may be, as I have seen on some sites, that it takes the form of a sunken lavatory basin complete with above the ground cistern. That type would be unsuitable for connecting in the manner you suggest.

An individual toilet emptying point would seem to be unsuitable or inappropriate for semi permanent connection to a toilet cassette. It may be, as I have seen on some sites, that it takes the form of a sunken lavatory basin complete with above the ground cistern. That type would be unsuitable for connecting in the manner you suggest.

Indeed it would be unsuitable!

I'll have to wait till I can have a look around, hopefully next week or so. ... Final interview soon, fingers crossed that the job will be mine.

Regards,

Steve

Indeed it would be unsuitable!

I'll have to wait till I can have a look around, hopefully next week or so. ... Final interview soon, fingers crossed that the job will be mine.

Regards,

Steve

Well if they're coming from the cassette I hope the job / jobbies are no-one else's! And that's as low as I'm going on this subject.

Edited by bartow

What about a marine/boat toilet as they have storage tanks for inland waterways use and perhaps would make a better adaption?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

• 3 years later...

We are staying at Chatsworth CC in Sept and they say the pitch we are on is a super pitch. I have just called them and they say yes it has its own chemical waste drain. Therefore did anyone ever come up with a solution of connecting a pipe to their tank or making an adaptor to make the toilet a mains drain???

I love making things, so this could be a new invention. ( I must remember to patent it) unless someone knows a solution????

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

I was not aware any CC site had pitches with chemical waste drains. You must have a U bend somewhere or else. ....

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I was not aware any CC site had pitches with chemical waste drains. You must have a U bend somewhere or else. ....

That's why I called them directly. According to the CC handbook it is the only site on its network with such a facility. We were there at the beginning of last year and I can't remember seeing anything other than the grey water drain, so if someone has used a super Pitch at Chatsworth recently, an update would be helpful.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

Certainly the Affiliated Club site Dornafield has 'toilets' between each two pitches on their serviced sections for chemical waste disposal, along with rubbish bins, water and grey water points.

It depends on what Thetford toilet you have, but Thetford do a pump out system for their cassette toilets. These are intended to pump the waste out to central toilet waste tank as fitted to some boats and larger motorhomes. Look at Thetford's web site.

Grey waste on caravan sites is actually connected to the foul sewer (it would be illegal to connect it to anything else). However, campers are nearly always instructed to use the waste system on serviced pitches only for grey waste for hygiene reasons, because the grey waste points are very close to the drinking water taps. When fouls connections are separately and properly connected to the fouls system using closed connections, they are hygienic.

Sounds like a CL, where you lift a manhole cover to get shot of your foul waste.

Sounds like a CL, where you lift a manhole cover to get shot of your foul waste.

No Chatsworth CC, as stated in the CC handbook and confirmed over the phone.