Sloping Caravan

Halohodge

Why is it that when people pitch their van they cant be bothered to level it, chap just come on site with a new Swift Challenger and pitched nose up, like living on a steep hill, dont people notice when the pots fall off the table.

Yours Grumpy Old Sod.

We had not realised the importance of getting the van level (other than the wine glass sliding off the table) until the first time we parked on a slope. Shortly afterwards we found all the waste water that had gone down the kitchen sink had emerged through the shower plughole. We have always been very careful of levelling since then!!!

It really surprises me as well, the fact that people can't be bothered to level their van! Was next to a van over Bank hol and the guy was towing with a LR Disco so the front of the van was already a bit nose high (he had no drop plate fitted!), by the time he unhooked it off the car the van was very nose high. It would have taken less than a minute to lower the front but instead he just lowered the legs. I know it shouldn't have bothered me but everytime I looked at the van it was so irritating.

I always make an effort to ensure the van is level to ensure that the shower & sinks drain correctly and that my glass of wine doesn't slide off the table!!

A small spirit level cost £1 in my local B&Q and I believe I phone users can even download a spirit level App!

Ian

It's not your van, why should it bother you if his fridge won't work or even if he spills his wine on the floor?

always have my one slightly nose up on the spirit level bubble to help the water drain quickly from the shower

the side to side has to be bang on or the shower door starts creeping open

always have my one slightly nose up on the spirit level bubble to help the water drain quickly from the shower

the side to side has to be bang on or the shower door starts creeping open

Slightly offside down for us for the same reason

One sloping site has perfectly level caravans and almost

equal number of sloping caravans some sloping "fore" and

others "aft" one new Bailey Orion was jacked so high at the

front it looked as if it was trying to see over the caravans

in front of it. Mine slopes very slightly to the rear for the

shower drain

I take care to level mine although right now it's on it's seasonal pitch which is level it sometimes feels like it's ever so slightly to the left, back and front are level. I've never seen anyone on site with a "squint" 'van, didn't think people actually did that unless they really couldn't help it

Compass Shadow 1988

Mine has to slope for the shower drain. I like it so sloping that I roll off the bed without even trying.

Being as it's my van and poses no hazard to anyone else then I will pitch it how I wish.

My van is even annoyingly dirty and dented. :-)

Mine has to slope for the shower drain. I like it so sloping that I roll off the bed without even trying.

Being as it's my van and poses no hazard to anyone else then I will pitch it how I wish.

My van is even annoyingly dirty and dented. :-)

Mind you that's how mine is, effortlessly roll out the bed :P

Compass Shadow 1988

It's not your van, why should it bother you if his fridge won't work or even if he spills his wine on the floor?

my thoughts exactly, tain't mine why should i worry, perhaps they like it that way

the greatest benefit for the greatest number

Slightly off topic (apologies), but judging by the number of above posts on the subject, surely there is something wrong with either the shower tray or its installation if it is necessary for the van to be sloping slightly in order for the shower to drain correctly?

Regards,

David

I might be getting old but I always take the few minutes required to level my van side to side using my ramp if necessary then fore and aft using jockey wheel. ...if its not level I feel a bit odd. .maybe I've got too much fluid in my ears!

Yes as above, if when the vans are being manufactured it makes sense that they are made on a level surface so as all the things they put in them run water away as they should. So when pitching up level is the only way for good water run off. As far as the wine is concerned - never put it down.

Guest SimplySimon

Its not a problem for us if the van leans a little. As we live on a boat, we aways live on a slight slope :D.

Andy.

So long as the sloping side is up!

I'm a leveller myself but some people just ain't bothered, seems odd to me but fair do's it not my van :)

Coachman Amara 380/2

I got my my forum name from saying left hand down a bit when we take the van off the car and lower the front of the van. B)

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I always level the van now! After I had the van just off level so our heads were slightly downhill. ....it felt very strange!!!!!

At home on my drive I leave it with the nose up a bit, I noticed if I leave it level it gets water sitting on the roof which I did not like so I leave it slightly out to run off and stay drier.

I try to level it but sometimes I can't quit gete it just right especially left to right but as long as I can sleep with my head above me feet I'm happy

This is another area where cost of production dictates over practicality of use IMO.

My Lunar has the waste pipes all tacked to the underside of the floor (pretty average there I imagine) however some of the 'runs' (lack of) are quite ridiculous.

So much so that the kitchen sink normally took forever to drain away. Now I have changed it to exit directly to the side below the sink, having moved the waste outlet point also, I then have exterior waste pipe running into the wastemaster from two directions (shower & kitchen).

Noticeable improvement now with satisfying sound as water departs at speed! :D

Archived