Window Crazing

Barry J

I've noticed crazing on our van's front windows.

Its more noticeable when the sun shines directly on the windows and its permanently noticeable around the window catches.

I've read that this can be caused by using solvents on the windows, but we only ever use fenwicks and water.

What causes it and can anything be done about it apart from replacement ??

Cling film can cause this problem too, have you or anyone else used clingfilm to prevent a cover from scratching the windows or to prevent flies from sticking to the windows when travelling.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Am I right in thinking crazing is the sort of small scratches / lines on the plastic windows? If so mine also have these but was like that when we got it (not new). Doesn't bother me personally but if it is what I think it looks like someone's previously gleaned the windows using a scourer :huh:

Also, I wondered about the clingfilm thing. I'd read about it on here before but seen something wierd (to me anyway) at the weekend when I was at my caravan. Walking round the storage there was a caravan, newish, with clingfilm going over the skylight and under each of the side windows :unsure: if anything I thought it would have been going accross the front windows, unless of course that's what the clingfilm was that was flapping about! :blink:

Compass Shadow 1988

I've heard of it being called crazing on here before but wasn't sure that was the "proper" name. I noticed it round the handles too but just thought that was the norm after so many years, my caravan's a 1989 so suppose it's a small price to pay for it's age

Compass Shadow 1988

My front windows look crazed too - only seen usually from the inside at certain angles - although they are 30 years old, so entitled to be I suppose.

Our windows can suffer from "micro crazing" which are hundreds of very small cracks about a mm deep. This is to the best of my knowledge irreparable.

Causes I have known are some self clinging labels, like the old "I have been everywhere" ones of yesteryear, dealer labels and very importantly where owners valeters have used domestic "glass" window cleaners, particularly those with ammonia.

This make useful reading:

http://www. lpaero. com/CAREINS. html

Under each of the side windows :unsure:

May have been to stop black streaks forming under the windows?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Yes 10 years old.

I call it crazing, but its more like a bloom really and there is some starring around the window handles.

Its just appeared in the last few weeks.

I had the same problem, it wasn't covered by the warranty I put it down to one of the handles being too tight when closed and the vibration when towing I put a spacer glued with araldite between the window and the handle and havnt had any further problems my caravan is only 3 years old.

As said It comes from Solvents . Perhaps the caravan was cleaned by the dealership or manufacturers with a cleaner containing a solvent .

IMO i have noticed as said the cracks start on the outside surface only and I think the solvent hardens the top surface and any flexing then causes it to crack.

Dave

Crazing is very common, particularly on older caravans, and especially around areas of stress, such as the handles. To my knowledge there is nothing that can be done about it, other than replacing the window, as the lines you see are actually within tyhe thickness of the material. If the window is not leaking, just accept it as part of the "character" of the caravan.

Scratching on the other hand, by definition is on the surface and this can be addressed. There are many ways to remove minor scuffs and scratches, most of which have been discussed many times on Caravan Talk, but essentially the scratch has to be polished out with a very fine abrasive, such as Brasso, toothpaste, or a bespoke plastic acrylic window scratch remover such as Xerapol or Windowize.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Interesting, yes my windows are crazed then :D a 1989 van so can't complain and it's not that bad it bothers me. What bother's me more is the kids fingerprints or the dog's nosemarks :angry:

Compass Shadow 1988

Archived