Towing X5

BillGeist

Hi all

I'm a bit new to this but I have been towing a Geist Active 565 for the past 3 years with my BMW X5 3. 0d Sport 2006 and just returned fro 3 weeks in Spain and France

I noticed that the back wheels on the X5 look to be slightly at an angle point outwards. I have a Towshore detacheable towbar with a single 13 electric outlet to the two connections on th caravan.

Anybody ever seen this before or have any thoughts

I may take it in to have a 4 wheel alignment done :angry:

X5's rear wheels always look like they are slightly in at the top and out at the botttom. The wider the wheels, the more this shows up. Both mine have looked like this :) Are the tyres wearing unevenly? X5's tend to wear out the centre of the rear tyres, even with the correct tyre pressures. You could get 4 wheel alignment done but it wil be £100+

Leaning in at the top is common. It is the camber angle which on most cars is not adjustable. Manufacturers put some camber angle on to sharpen up the handling response, on my Xtrail it did mean that although I still had tread left after 32k miles, the tyres were scrap because of wear on the inner shoulders.

If it is leaning out at the top, it sounds like you have an odd problem which needs looking at. Worn suspension bushes ?

Wheel alighnent / 4 wheel alignment is generally for adusting the track of the wheels, i. e. how pigion toed the wheels are on the road.

Hi

I tow with the X5 2007 3. 0d and have just had a look and my back wheel camber is in at top out at bottom and I had computer wheel tracking alignment done 6 months ago because of wear on the front wheel tyre outer shoulders. All was correct and from what I read on web the Run Flats tend to wear on shoulders.

So would not worry about it and just enjoy the pleasure of driving such a superb car solo or towing.

Alan

Also, one other thing to note. As you load the car up to fully laden, (hitched up and full) you should notice the wheels get progressively less of and angle. In theory being the more weight you put on the rear axle the more tire on the road and the more grip!

I have seen this on a lot of x5's, and think it is quite normal.

BMW tend to run a lot of camber on their cars, to sharpen up handling, it just seems to be more noticeable on the 4x4's

Archived