First Time Caravan Purchase

thewelshman

Hello,

New to this forum but have been a member of others for a few years.

After 3 fun filled years with a Pennine folding camper we have decided we want to kill the economy of the car and purchase a caravan.

In order to do this we are moving away from my wife's scenic to my 08' plate mondeo tdci.

We have spent a couple of fun filled weekends looking at caravans from Abbey, Avondale, Swift & Bailey. We know we want a 6 berth with rear fixed bunks and having looked at the pageant bretagne and the ranger we are going for a bretagne.

Before I go into the main crux of my question - I thought I'd mention something that really annoyed me whilst working out what i could and couldn't tow. .....kerb weights - turns out the mondeo mk4 kerb weight does not exist(took me about 5 hours on google to work this out). It does have a Mass in service of 1557 and further investigation informed me that to get the kerb weight i should then add the weight of a full tank of fuel and one adult. Which fives me a keb weight of around 1650 to play with. It may be time for a revised set of measurements to be published that are in line with what is on the v5 to help poor sod's like me!

On to the main question - I know Bailey's of a certain age had issues with cracks which resulted in some damp issues. I also know that pageant rear bunks can be prone to condensation. Aside from that what should I be looking for?

The one I am seeing tonight is a 2006 model, with a simpark motor mover and 2/3 awning with bedroom annexe.

Owner has informed me that it hasn't been serviced in the two years they have had it and if all ok I plan to get a pre-purchase inspection carried out before i hand over the best part of 8k.

Is there anything in particular i should look for? The advert mentions (and shows) a couple of little dents but it also mentions a small crack on the front left window - can this be replaced?

The van is about a 1k less than i have seen others for (saw a pristine one yesterday, but that had not been serviced for 3 years!)

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks for that, but what has actually been provided is the mass in service weight, spoke with ford and they no longer publish kerb weights for this car

the stress cracks you are referring to where not confined to Bailey vans alone,several manufactures suffered from them If you check around the awning rails front & rear ABS panels the cracks appear to run from under the awning rail,they are usually very fine & around !/4 to 1/2" long. Bailey will allow transfer of the 6 year warranty if the servicing has been carried out annually within I think 60 days of the anniversary date of the original purchase date.

personally I would be looking for a van that has been serviced in accordance with the conditions of the warranty & then have it transferred for £25

the cracks on mine appeared after 5 years,repairs could cost £1500/2000

A new window could cost £2/300

OK.

Take your car to a weighbridge observing this:

Many vehicle manufacturers are now following European Directive 95/48/EC which specifies the kerbweight of a car as its weight when it leaves the manufacturer in ready-to-drive condition but with the fuel tank 90 per cent full and a driver on board weighing 68kg and luggage of 7kg. .

No doubt other members will post their recommendations as well.

Regards.

Col

Archived