Is Anybody Else Interested In Minimalistic Vanning

Barry J

I keep reading about people caravanning with flags, bunting, flashing lights and so on.

Everyone to their own - doesn't bother me in the least.

However, just out of interest, is there anybody else out there who just wants to go caravanning to enjoy the countryside and see new areas ??

We tend not to have anything outside the van, apart from water, waste containers and a step - we don't even bother to erect the awning.

Dear Deidre, are we odd ?

We're the same, unless we have friends coming to dinner - then we put the awning up and get the best china out ! Don't have kids though so that probably has something to do with it !

One of the reasons we recently moved from a two berth to a 4 berth - side dinette - was so that we can leave the bed made up and have somewhere to eat without having to put the awning up all the time. It works really well.

Did you used to have a tent?

Coming from a tent/trailer tent for 20 years to a van this year I dont yet feel a true vanner yet.

One thing we really did not like about the caravan thing was the way people seemed to make them just like a mini house with all the same features and comforts.

Although we have softened up and now enjoy some of the comforts of the van (getting old I guess) we still giggle at the bowls of fruit and all sorts of other little household items people seem to go for in their vans.

So no, we are much like you, the only things outside the van is the water in, water out, and two bikes chained to the hitch.

Loo, fridge, comfy bed, heater, hot and cold water, cooker and lights sort us out rather well.

I guess over time the extra luxuries will creep in.

And I for one hope you continue to enjoy a hobby that can be what you want it to be. Regards Peter. :)

I must admit I used to have my seasonal pitches with plants, ornaments, solar lights etc you name it outside just to make it look nice, suppose it was just a novelty as I was so chuffed to now have my own caravan.

Now though as we've been on a few different sites rather than have alot to pack away we just have outside the gas bottles (although got small one's in the front locker, just got bigger ones as we're seasonal so less trips to the garage to replace), the bikes round the back out of sight and the awning up. All that's in the awning is a table and the dog's bowls and bed. we have folding chairs we keep inside the caravan but leave them out in the awning when we're using the caravan. Hate clutter. I just like to know that should I want or need the caravan moved it's a simple enough job. SO yes now i'm a minimalist caravanner. I actually prefer not to have an awning but OH prefers one and with the kids it does make it that bit easier if the weather turns.

Even when I was in a tent years ago someone commented on my pics how "tidy" my tent was :huh:

Compass Shadow 1988

Can never quite understand what there is to giggle about a bowl of fruit. We have a bowl of fruit in our 'van 'cos we eat a lot of fruit at home and in the 'van. Where else are we supposed to keep it??

hello all, we have a small porch awning we put up for the dog, and just to keep the weather off, we do eat and sleep better in the van then we do at home, then we do at home, no bunting flags or lights for use it's just to much to cart around, unpack and pack away, we can set up in about 30mins, and the same to pack away, hope this helps

Can never quite understand what there is to giggle about a bowl of fruit. We have a bowl of fruit in our 'van 'cos we eat a lot of fruit at home and in the 'van. Where else are we supposed to keep it??

Well as we dont take cocktails with us on our hols we put the fruit in the cocktail cabinet!

I guess the bowl of fruit is the shorthand for making the van like a little home. Our van is only a twelve footer so we tend to use all the surfaces for many different uses and so would not consider cluttering it up with stuff out our lockers.

We tend to use it mainly for long weekends but I guess if you have big van on a seasonal pitch you may settle in a bit more.

I too had to laugh at the "bowl of fruit" comment, but I see where you are coming from.

I think the beauty of camping is that it is what you make it. Some people are happy in a 2 man tent, others need a few more luxuries.

My attitude is that caravanning is a good way to get a cheap holiday out of an expensive hobby! Yes we have a fruit bowl, but will never have a microwave, bunting and fairy lights or pot plants!

We keep our fruit in a Straw Basket because it is lighter than a bowl. ............ Apples Oranges and Bananas.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Hi All,

Going back to the O. P. after visiting the local public weigh bridge ( got a shock ) and when home we took every thing out and weighed it with a tested scale--234K. g. ( caravan max 155 K. G. !!) S. W. M. B. O and yours looked at our stuff, no awning, T. V,recliners, just basic stuff. Looking round the van,-- overhead lockers -three in use, two for food/ dishes one for books. front satees one side empty other side sleeping bags/ pillows,and so on, our biggest single weight item,? like most we have motor movers ( the years are rolling on ! ) motors & battery == 63 K. G. so we are on a weight loss/ minimalist crusade ! did ask if we could upgrade the weight plate to be told no chance ( Lunar ) how many others are overweight ?

david 1220

Perhaps we all better get used to taking less - and buying lighter vans.

The increasing cost of fuel is a big incentive to look for a more economical towing vehicle. There are now several potential tow cars with such low fuel consumption (and therefore low CO2 emissions) now that they qualify for exemption from vehicle tax (while the fuel hungry attract premium rates). Whatever view we might personally have about the causes of climate change, government pressures on car manufacturers to reduce emissions across their whole range of vehicles is likely to lead to lighter and lighter vehicles with implications for their future towing capacities.

According to the Caravan Club [ http://www. caravancl. ..reen-will-we-go ]:

"To get vehicle efficiency ever higher, vehicles need to get lighter, and in many cases, probably smaller. Already, major 4x4 manufacturers are talking of halving the kerbweight of their vehicles in 10-15 years. The smaller cars may well lose their towing capacity altogether, as lightweight, optimised body structures won't have the strength to cope with the additional demands of towing. "

Never mind the fruit bowl. We will probably have to start taking dried fruit!

Tip of the day. .........................

To reduce weight buy satsumas instead of big navel oranges,buy grapes instead of plums and Morrisons 'no frills' bananas which are half the size in length to most others :P

The light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

That's not weight saving, that's daft. (smiley noted, mind you)

If you want to save and redistribute weight, remember that it is the mass you tow, not the mass you own.

Far better to empty all water out of the van before you travel. With 10l in the hot water tank and 7l in the loo flush you save 17kg. Use lightweight propane cylinders - the difference in weight is astonishing. We considered a motor mover but we are both young and fit enough to move the vehicle, and I can reverse perfectly adequately. Move any awning and poles to the car. Don't carry loads of coke, beers, other adulterated forms of water etc; buy them when you get there or again, put them in the car. Only take enough food for one emergency meal. Use a bit of ingenuity rather than throwing out.

Hi blue flight,

Yep agree with what you say, we do " drain down " the heater before moving, have (one ) lightweight cylinder. Regarding food we tend to go to " back and beyond "C. L's ( one we use is a round trip of 30 miles to a shop ! ) motor movers were forced on us when we moved to a new storage compound to reverse the van in one has to do a Z and drop it into a 9 ft wide slot, provided the caravan on the courner of our " street" is away we can back in,-- impresses the other caravaners -and me !! :) Spent 24 years driving big red things with blue lights on roof . In our visit to Scotland ( 5 weeks ) we used the movers twice, did think of removing them -still possible we will have to. As has been reported in the caravan press the police are now weighing vans and " advising " over weight owners ( the caravan that is ! ) but next year ------------? from what we have seen coming out of caravans on rally fields i think a lot of people are in for a ( expensive & 3 points ) shock,just dont want to be one of them !

Cheers david 1220

I never laugh at the bowls of fruit, just this thread and the comments :D I usually tend to just put my fruit in the fridge as it's usually summer we're away.

Compass Shadow 1988

Tip of the day. .........................

To reduce weight buy satsumas instead of big navel oranges,buy grapes instead of plums and Morrisons 'no frills' bananas which are half the size in length to most others :P

class . ........ love it

No !

Bob

One man's precious possessions is another man's clutter I guess.

Like the OP, carvaning for us is the chance to go places and enjoying the countryside. But I wouldn't call what we do minimalist. There is so much built into vans these days (fridge, hot water, lights, central heating, loo, shower, radio etc) it seems luxurious compared to our camping of old (which we did in a lightweight tent with a primus stove and a hurricane lamp. ..starting with our honeymoon). But we still don't take the TV, the laptop, microwave or the folding table that came with the van. We have even had the TV aerial removed from our new van. Just about the only additional caravanning accessories we carry are a pair of reclining chairs for sitting outside when its fine, a bucket and a few bits of wood for sloping sites.

I guess some people must get pleasure or reassurance from buying stuff for their van. I watched a family spend the whole afternoon packing up after a weekend away the other day and was flabbergasted by the amount of kit they had to load up. And why do so many people have BBQs? Don't they have cookers in their vans?

why do so many people have BBQs? Don't they have cookers in their vans?

Probably for much the same reason some carry "a pair of reclining chairs for sitting outside when its fine" when they have beds and settees in their vans??? ;)

Probably for much the same reason some carry "a pair of reclining chairs for sitting outside when its fine" when they have beds and settees in their vans??? ;)

Well, I wouldn't like to sit on a BBQ

And why do so many people have BBQs? Don't they have cookers in their vans?

Becuase they want one! Why do people have to question things that others do that they don't do themselves. If we were all the same the world would be a boring place!

Archived