Unicorn Satelite

den123

l asked the same question on this forum, how come a top of the range Unicorn dosn't have external sat point, l am having one fitted by the dealer in the 230v outside socket compartment, having it done before l take delivery at the end of October. This year l have noticed all the Unicorn range with windows open with outside TV or Sat extensions hanging from them, surely Bailey won't allow this to continue on their top of the range vans, looks naff.

Come on Bailey get your act together won't cost arm an leg surly at the production stage, infact all vans should have them now sites have external tv connections on the hook up. Come on PC your always pointing out the good points that Baileys do, let them know when they have missed something that should now be a requirment.

NigelH

Edited by Nidge4

Getting from the outside to the inside of the van is easy enough. . Mine comes in from the battery box behind the wheel arch and to the flappy down cupboard below where the Tv sits buy the door. Just need a neat internal fitting now for the cable. .. or a combined 12v/tv/sat socket to replace the existing Tv/12v

J

My point is on a top of the range van it should be a standard fit, shouldn't have to meither getting cables into the van, that is the question being asked of Baileys . l wonder how they will respond, probably when the Unicorn has is face lift next year it will incorporate it along with other add on’s to distinguish it from 2011 and12 vans that’s the usual case.

NigelH

I bought one of these. I am going to put it under the existing sockets in the corner behind the tv and route the cable into the battery box.

That is how I did it on my old Senator and it worked a treat.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/330565309288?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984. m1423. l2649

• 1 month later...

When I collected my new van, I asked the dealer how they would fit a satellite connection, and what parts were needed.

They ordered for me a double socket fitting, to replace the single 13A socket fitting by the tv (just by the door), and ordered a tv socket also from Baileys. This meant removing the 13A socket and after checking that it was possible to run a tv cable up to that position from the battery box (mains area), then, cut out enough panel to fit the double (grey surround) panel, and re-fit the 13A socket and fit the tv socket.

Unfortunately, the supplied tv socket was an unscreened surface plate type and gave a poor signal (v. poor design connector). Fortunately, visiting my local Bailey dealer, they had a similar socket but with a female F-connector (both sides), so that the lead behind the panel now has a male F-connector and fits the back of the socket, the losses are now low, and provide a good signal to the sky box.

For info re connectors and tv cable, try http://www. aerialsan. ..leandleads. html

Incidentally, I sent e-mails to Baileys and amongst other questions, asked why they didn't fit a satellite connector, but had no replies at all! Still very pleased with the van, it's great.

Spencer Allen

Unicorn Almeria

Audi Allroad

We changed the tv aerial/12v socket to a sat/tv aerial/12v socket (bought from accessory shop and matches perfectly) and then drilled a small hole above the EHU connector in the battery box. Ran a sat cable from here to the new socket (easy up the back of the cabinet in our Peg 524 - no removal of furniture cappings) and fitted a standard in line "F" connector through the new hole in the battery box. The hardest bit was getting the little black plugs out of the electric socket faceplate to remove this for more access!

We now have a choice - standard TV aerial into TV aerial socket via van aerial or other lead straight into the new sat socket with extension lead connected in battery box direct to TV hookup on bollard. We don't use sat TV but now have everything in place should we ever require it.

Although we found a solution, it would've been nice if the modification hadn't been required in the first place!

Glen.

Edited by Glen and Les

Getting from the outside to the inside of the van is easy enough. . Mine comes in from the battery box behind the wheel arch and to the flappy down cupboard below where the Tv sits buy the door. Just need a neat internal fitting now for the cable. .. or a combined 12v/tv/sat socket to replace the existing Tv/12v

J

I installed an F socket in the battery box, adjacent the mains connector, ran the cable to the aerial/power fittings on top of the drawers. I took the dc socket/aerial socket located there and modified it - adding an F socket and added two phono sockets. I think that it looks quite neat.

The two phono sockets take the audio signal from the tv/ipod to the radio aux input. I am glad I did this, as when running the screened lead to the radio, I discovered that the front handles had been leaking!

Now I have what I want and it works perfectly. ....

Edited by wiz2003

I'm not brave enough to do that with the existing fitting. ... I need a spare one to butcher. ..

J

I installed an F socket in the battery box, adjacent the mains connector, ran the cable to the aerial/power fittings on top of the drawers. I took the dc socket/aerial socket located there and modified it - adding an F socket and added two phono sockets. I think that it looks quite neat.

The two phono sockets take the audio signal from the tv/ipod to the radio aux input. I am glad I did this, as when running the screened lead to the radio, I discovered that the front handles had been leaking!

Now I have what I want and it works perfectly. ....

I'm not brave enough to do that with the existing fitting. ... I need a spare one to butcher. ..

J

I think this is the part if you need it. ..

https://www. bailey-parts. co. uk/Product. aspx?PartNumber=1010149

Wow, spot on.

I'd looked and been unable to find it.

Much appreciated

J

I think this is the part if you need it. ..

https://www. bailey-p. ..tNumber=1010149

Wow, spot on.

I'd looked and been unable to find it.

Much appreciated

J

It took me a while to find it - it did not come up when searching. ....

I can show you a photo of mine, if you like. .....

Yes please. .. photos, hints and tips. ... :)

J

It took me a while to find it - it did not come up when searching. ....

I can show you a photo of mine, if you like. .....

Yes please. .. photos, hints and tips. ... :) J

Have tried to upload to gallery many times using different browsers and files, all I get is internal server error. ....

Will try later. ...

Part ordered, recieved and modified

Just need to swap em over sometime.

IMAG0195.jpg

Well that looks familiar. .....

post-39114-0-85633600-1320253251_thumb.jpg

. .and this is the outside of mine. .

post-39114-0-81125200-1320253314_thumb.jpg

Edited by wiz2003

l asked the same question on this forum, how come a top of the range Unicorn dosn't have external sat point, l am having one fitted by the dealer in the 230v outside socket compartment, having it done before l take delivery at the end of October. This year l have noticed all the Unicorn range with windows open with outside TV or Sat extensions hanging from them, surely Bailey won't allow this to continue on their top of the range vans, looks naff.

Come on Bailey get your act together won't cost arm an leg surly at the production stage, infact all vans should have them now sites have external tv connections on the hook up. Come on PC your always pointing out the good points that Baileys do, let them know when they have missed something that should now be a requirment.

NigelH

I agree they should be an option.

But i don't use a dish, so don't require one.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to fitting my newly modified socket at the weekend. There's not a lot of slack in the cbales behind is there?

Does any one else have a loose brown wire coming from the 12v loom that goes up to the lightswitch above?

I can't see that I dislodged it from any where and all the lights on t5he van still work. .

J

Can I suggest that the simplest solution to Satellite in a van is to share/reuse the existing TV Coax. Maplins have Coax to F convertors at £2. 79 each.

They simply terminate the existing Coax as F connections. Works a treat for me. Very flexible, cheap, simple and no extra weight.

http://www. maplin. co. uk/search?criteria=f+to+coax+connector

As the Olympus doesnt have an external TV Coax feed, I have dropped a TV Coax lead down the existing drain hole in one of the wet cupboards.

Only limitation is that you can't be watching the football via the satellite whilst SWMBO is watching Neighbours on Freeview.

Roger