A686 Penrith To Hexham ?

MumnTed

Morning one & all!

I'm sure somebody must have used this route & I was wondering if it was an ok road?

My OH hates using the motorways (& me driving slightly less!!) & enjoys these sorts of roads but if it is very tight or hilly it won't save anything & he'll have to put up with me driving on the M6!

We are a large unit but have come cross country from Selkirk to Moffat on the A708 - now THAT was interesting, but I DON'T plan to do it again!!

Thanks!

MumnTed

Hi All

I use to love this road with its tight bends, dips, and travelling on top of the moors( there use to be a cafe on the top in the middle of nowhere, now gone ) Its a wild place ! All this --on a motorbike ! with an outfit, well i would look for another route, seem to remember that thre was a ban on H. G. V.'s useing part of the route Not recommended unless you want some excitement !!

cheers david1220

It certainly is the scenic route - one I would go every time without the van on the back but with the van I wouldn't tackle it and would go A69 / A66 then M6 if I was heading that way.

Forms part of the C2C cycle route and is fantastic countryside and probably do-able with our twin axle but a few steep inclines decents so would need to take it easy and enjoy the scenery.

Hi,

think that should be -- take it easy and not become part of the scenery! :)

david

Thanks for all your replies!

Followed the road on google maps/earth whatever it is - clever thing that! - and as the difference in miles is 20 and slightly longer in time over the 686 but in reality probably quite a lot longer, we've decided to do our usual route M6 etc.

We will try that route sometime when going across without the van and see what we think.

MumnTed