Just a word of warning, we received a lengthy message from one of our regular visitors who passed this observation about passport control at Calais last Saturday: -

"We only just caught the 6. 40am ferry - passport control was very very vigilant and the car in front of us was refused departure out of France!"

For heaven knows what reason, but be duly forewarned.

Edited by bigjimmy

Not the case at Dunkerque, where we were waved through both British and French Passport control without a glance! This was fortunate in that both times, via Dunkerque, our ferry journey took more than an hour longer than it should have done!

However, at Dunkerque, whilst queueing, our car (and every other) had to open up the boot and both back doors and a 'mirror on a stick' was used to look underneath some cars.

We've just come back via Dunquerque and checks were done on all vehicles in the queue - we had to open up caravan and the UK Border customs guy (not passport control) checked all the cupboards, wardrobes etc. We're not complaining - they have a job to do. People should allow sufficient time for these checks - and expect them - particularly on return journeys. French passport control will often wave you through, but our country is well aware of how easy it is to get into the UK across the channel, so I'm pleased that stricter controls appear to be in place.

the car in front of us was refused departure out of France!"

I've noticed the last few times I've returned through Calais that the passport control queues get longer and longer. Since they now put each passport through a reader, it's obviously taking longer than previously. As for the car refused departure - maybe a foreign driver with some irregularity with a passport. I believe they need a certain length of time prior to expiry.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Hi all,

I take on board all thats said, but it does niggle me when sometimes we are on portside at Portsmouth having checked in and then they decide to pull you over as others are boarding. Is it me, but most times I'm about first on Port,last on and off boat. " Our Jean " allways insists it doesn't matter, but it did when we crossed on Sea France from Dover one morning, by the time we got to the restuarant for breakfast there was a Que 3/4 of a mile long, we ended up in the bar buying supposedly toasted sarnies, they hit th bottom of the waste bin,never again!!! Catch ya later,indoors.

I don't know why you assume it's a foreign driver.

He did post "may be a foreign driver"

A British passport holder is unlikely to (could not ?) be refused entry to the U. K. but there could be a delay whilst ID was verified.

Just a word of warning, we received a lengthy message from one of our regular visitors who passed this observation about passport control at Calais last Saturday: -

"We only just caught the 6. 40am ferry - passport control was very very vigilant and the car in front of us was refused departure out of France!"

For heaven knows what reason, but be duly forewarned.

we had this problem once. my mate missed the boat.

why on earth don't they pull them to one side whilst checking and then others can get through?

it still amazes me, that we can go all over europe without passport controls, yet we get held up getting back home.

cheers rodders B)

Edited by rodders68

I don't know why you assume it's a foreign driver.

Simply because I couldn't see any reason why a British driver in a Brit registered car would be detained in France. Sorry if I sounded as though I 'didn't like Johnny Foreigner' :rolleyes:

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

As a general point I find British Passport Control irritatingly slow - but I acknowledge the need for vigilance. Arrived back at North Shields from Holland a couple of days ago and the vehicles were disembarked from the ferry into six queues on the quayside but only TWO Immigration Officers on duty so the wait was for ages. Surely if the process per traveller is taking longer then the way to improve the service is to increase staff

Edited by mw3230

Hi all . ...

. .. we came back through Calais on Friday afternoon, 23rd, at about 13h30 . .... Passport control maned by UK Border Agency staff, asked where we had stopped the night before, south of Le Harve, "Oh that's not near Calais, then. ..!", then asked if we had stopped in the Calais area, even for fuel . .... No . ....

. ... they had dogs checking all the trucks etc in the loading area . .. and check alot of vehicles . .... we got thru OK . ...

. ... nice to be home . ... BUT . ... why the rain . ....?????

Cheers

Pete n Polly

About 8 years ago I was coming back from Calais with a mate. We got to Custom control and my friend had lost his passport. He was asked 'when did England win the world cup.'

He said '30th July 1966 '

Response : 'Pass friend'. :D

You could always get the wife to wear a burcah. You would get passed straight through to avoid a claim of discrimination. :lol:

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

You could always get the wife to wear a burcah. You would get passed straight through to avoid a claim of discrimination. :lol:

Not in France it's illegal to wear a burcah

Not in France it's illegal to wear a burcah

The sooner UK grows some balls, and also adopts the ruling,,,,,,the better,,,,,,,,,,Rant over sorry, boils me a bit that topic,,

Graham

We have been 'slowed' a few times both going out as well as returning. Invariably they want to look inside the caravan, to which I have no objection. However, at one crossing with Eurotunnel at the Ashford end I stopped as requested and went to get out of the car to open the van. I was told in no uncertain terms by the scowling female Customs Officer that i was to remain in the car until SHE told me when to get out. Immediately after finishing that she asked me to get out.

Has a anyone noticed how the Customs/Immigration people in Europe are usually pleasant and friendly, the ones here are always scowling and treat you like dirt. After all you are only coming into your own country. I forgot, they are checking for illegal immigrants. I do wonder why it has taken them over 13 years to actually start doing that. At airports the queue is always slower at the one for Brits to come in, non UK usually go through right away. Maybe the Burka idea is a good one, wonder if it would suit me??????

We travelled Portsmouth-Le Havre at 23. 00 on 8th September and were somewhat surprised to have British staff (introducing themselves as "port security") looking inside the caravan and asking us about whether we had any knives with blades longer than three inches (other than kitchen knives). I don't think the toilet compartment or lockers were looked at. On the return journey on that route on 29th September the French Police Nationale looked through the caravan front windows but didn't go into the van. At Portsmouth there seemed to be no-one on duty in the box! The last time we had taken the caravan abroad was late summer 2009 from Hull when no interest in the van was expressed at all at either end.