4x4's & Mpv's

rinty

This will probably go down as one of the stupidest questions on the CT forum BUT -

if you have an MPV or 4x4 and carry bicycles on the roof - how do you get them on?

I am a vertically challenged 5' 7(&1/2)' and lifting the bikes onto the roof of my last 3 series was a struggle. Do you carry about steps, ladders?

We normally holiday with 4 bikes on the roof of a 4x4, getting the bikes on the roof is a combination of standing on the back seats and floor pan for the 2 middle bikes and standing on the caravan steps for the bikes on the edge. Getting them up is the easy, its a bit more of a fiddle locking the grips.

M

hi there,i had a bike rack on the roof of my freelander, total pain in the backside. ... stopped using it after twice twisting my back, i would not do that again. strectching and leaning with a heavy bike will hurt you sooner or later.

depending on your set up there are other options for bike racks, if i was you i would look into it,

good luck and best wishes, Stu

I'm the same height as you and when using roof of the Freelander to transport bikes I tend to stand on the car floor with the door open, and get my Mrs or my eldest to assist in passing the bike up to me. Depends how fit / agile you are as to how easy it all is though.

You can get a fold away 'step' that hooks onto the car wheel and you stand on that. You really need one at the rear wheel and the caravan step at the other. This will raise you about 12 ins if that's enough to get the bikes on the roof. Alternatively, use a carrier like the one here: http://www. scarsdale037. webspace. virginmedia. com/cycle_carriers. html but you have to take account of 30kg plus for the bikes when calculating your towball limit.

I think the best option for getting bike on a LR is a roof rack and a fixed ladder at the rear that way climbing on the roof is easy and the bike can be lifted up and secured without struggling . The other option is a spare wheel rack or towbar rack .

Dave

Saw how a German neighbour did it this year in France. Carried a single sub two metre length of ultra light weight ladder fixed to the back of his caravan. He also used this to wash his caravan roof on site before putting up his canopy. The way he carried it I doubt it was more than two kgs weight.

Looked like it was mounted on two home made ally brackets, about 300 mm long just Sika-flexed horizontally to the van rear, vertically at side of window.

Then like me he used a Thule "Hang-on" tow ball clamping carrier for off site solo transport,

I carry our 2 bikes inside the caravan. Remove pedals, straighten handlebars so they are in line with the frame and a few pieces of foam rubber taped around any 'sticky out' bits. Wouldn't even try to get the wifes bike on the roof as it's a Pashley and weighs (nearly) as much as the car!!! (Mines easy, it's a Dahon full size folder)

Regards, Mike :D

I stand on the floor of the car, which is easy on mine as it has sliding doors that don't then get in the way when loading the roof. We often have a couple of bikes & our sons bright yellow kayak on the roof, or if i'm not towing i have a good cycle rack that clips on to the boot, while still allowing the boot to open even with a couple of bikes on.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

What i have done on a number of occasions is this.

I bought a small light weight alluminium ladder from B&Q, i believe it was a loft ladder and is about 4 foot long. Only cost about £20.

I then bought some pipe lagging, cut it in half and clipped it to the ladder on both upright sections.

I can now lean the ladder against the side of the car with no worries about it damaging it and can easily reach to put the bikes on the roof of my MPV.

The bikes can get a bit heavy after lifting four of them up there but its a small price to pay to keep them out of the van.

What about one of these bike lifts ?

http://www. atera. co. ...ive/ar2212b. php

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I carry our 2 bikes inside the caravan. Remove pedals, straighten handlebars so they are in line with the frame and a few pieces of foam rubber taped around any 'sticky out' bits. Wouldn't even try to get the wifes bike on the roof as it's a Pashley and weighs (nearly) as much as the car!!! (Mines easy, it's a Dahon full size folder)

SNAP, all this fussing with racks etc is not really necessary if you plan your loading in the van.

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

I have a smal step ladder which u use for bikes and roofbox also I use it when putting awning up as find I'm an inch to short

Also now we have caravan cover ideal for that also

Have to brackets attached to rear of van which hold it in place

I use the roof basket to carry the awning, bars, seats etc. To get up there and fit everything, tie down I stand on the back tyre to do the rear and on the front sill. Could do with being higher at the front but I am loath to stand on the seat. I also have a two step fold out ladder in the van as it causes less back strain adjusting the awning

But the weight of 2 bikes inside the van will add to the payload and you've a chance of being overloaded

But the weight of 2 bikes inside the van will add to the payload and you've a chance of being overloaded

Most modern bikes are around 12kg in weight which is not a lot. I can see four would add up a bit and take up a fair bit of room in a van.

I get two in our little 380 van without taking anything off. Just tip the bike up onto its back wheel and wheel it in, you just then turn the handlebars 90degrees to get them in the door. They are in or out in no time. My van was a bit light on the noseweight so the bikes made it spot on.

If it is a problem though, it would be easy to just put the gas bottle or spare wheel in the car.

I use one of those folding decorating platforms to get our bikes on the roof of the C-Crosser, it has 1 step up and a wide long platform, (extremely stable) it folds flat and weighs very little. (If you put a table cloth over it, it doubles as a coffee table in the awning :P