Buttock Clenching Moment

Penny

Fair play to the driver on the M5 Northbound today. I didn't see the caravan make ( a 10ish year old single axle), but the car was a Rover 75. As he overtook a truck, and I was just about to overtake him he had a blowout on the right hand tyre. He wasn't going fast, certainly no faster than 60mph, but it was a very dramatic blowout. I heard it from my car, and bits of rubber flying off in all directions. The caravan wobbled tremendously as I braked sharply just in case. He brought the van under control very smoothly and got it into the hard shoulder. We could easily have been hearing about him on a traffic report as 'a caravan on it's side'.

What's the betting he had 10 year old tyres as well?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Well said Trevor! And was he picking his nose? That combined with 10 year old tyres is likely the problem!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

he had a blowout on the right hand tyre. He wasn't going fast, certainly no faster than 60mph, but it was a very dramatic blowout. I heard it from my car, and bits of rubber flying off in all directions. ..

He brought the van under control very smoothly and got it into the hard shoulder.

That's exactly what should happen, I know because I have experienced a new caravan tyre shreaded on the motorway too. Whatever the cause of the tyre failure, driving within the legal limit with a balanced outfit probably prevented a serious accident.

A lesson to us all.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I have just put a new set of Matador tyres on my 'van, they were replacements for 6 year old Matadors that were original equipment. The tyre depot that sold them to me assures me he fits 100s. Lets not jump to conclusions Bailey owner, just keep an eye on your wheel nuts!! See what I mean? regards to all. :) Peter

I have just put a new set of Matador tyres on my 'van, they were replacements for 6 year old Matadors that were original equipment. The tyre depot that sold them to me assures me he fits 100s. Lets not jump to conclusions Bailey owner, just keep an eye on your wheel nuts!! See what I mean? regards to all. :) Peter

I'm very sorry you took offence to my posting.

Maybe my posting wasn't very clear but a few people raised the issue that the tyres could also have been 10 year old tyres.

Someone else also posted that they had a blow out on a new tyre.

Matador tyres have been discussed several times on this forum in not a very positive light. I believe that is why Swift will change them FOC if I remember correctly.

Also wrong Bailey for the wheel bolt issue. ...sorry :P

Sorry to highjack the thread but what are the best tyres then. ........just as I am about to get my Caravan serviced on Thursday and if he says I need new ones, any advice would be welcome.

I have a 1998 ABI Morningstar 4 berth so not one of your lighweights.

Does it not worry you putting on your caravan tyres with known defects, especially fitted to caravans?

As for your tyre fitter, i would question the sense of fitting tyres on caravans that have known issues. Or did he mean he fits 100s to cars? Big difference.

Either way your a very much braver man than me to gamble with a caravan and family.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

will add that i had major issue,s with matador stella 175/65/14 mp? all four started to crack and blister there were splits in the side walls !! all four changed by me and then the money refunded . they were less than 2 years old at the time and had got worse over a 25 mile tow home ie they were ok when we set off noticed slight cracking on site and well when i got home " they never moved another foot on my caravan" , jim

I have only ever witnessed one front tyre blow out on a car travelling at speed I was following and it was definitely one of those 'fifty pence, five pence, fifty pence, five pence' moments! and that was without a van on the back.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Fair play to the driver on the M5 Northbound today. I didn't see the caravan make ( a 10ish year old single axle), but the car was a Rover 75. As he overtook a truck, and I was just about to overtake him he had a blowout on the right hand tyre. He wasn't going fast, certainly no faster than 60mph, but it was a very dramatic blowout. I heard it from my car, and bits of rubber flying off in all directions. The caravan wobbled tremendously as I braked sharply just in case. He brought the van under control very smoothly and got it into the hard shoulder. We could easily have been hearing about him on a traffic report as 'a caravan on it's side'.

We had a blowout back in the early nineties going along a french autoroute and it just felt like the brakes had come on the van and we pulled up on the hard shoulder with no problems or drama. It was a sprite van and i cant remember what weight it was but it stayed in a straight line no prob and i would have been travelling at around 55mph at the time.

peter.

What's the betting he had 10 year old tyres as well?

Why assume that? No link between the original post and that at all - why assume the worst? Sometimes accidents just happen despite the best of preparations or maintenance.

Does anyone know if tyre weld could be used as a temporary solution if i had a flat on the van when towing until i got to a safe place or destination rather than changing a van tyre on the hard shoulder?

Does anyone know if tyre weld could be used as a temporary solution if i had a flat on the van when towing until i got to a safe place or destination rather than changing a van tyre on the hard shoulder?

Never used tyre weld myself but i suppose it could be used too get you too a safer place too change a wheel especially if you kept your speed right down. I must admit i would'nt fancy trying too change a caravan wheel on the motorway.

peter.

Most tyre problems on motorways are blow outs and a tyre sealant is not going to seal a large hole from a blow out in a tyre . Even a slow puncture and tyre slowly deflates normally ends with the tyre wall destroyed before any indication to the driver that the tyre is flat due to the speed . Once you use a sealant the tyre cant be repaired .

The main problem of having a flat on a motorway is trying to change it and having the right jack (if you have one ) and knowing where the caravan jacking points are and the turbulance caused by passing lorries while the caravan is sitting on a jack .

Dave

Sometimes accidents just happen despite the best of preparations or maintenance.

Accidents don't just happen, they are caused!

I did not assume anything I just offered a possible cause. Unfortunately we will never find out.

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Guest Benzowner

I did not assume anything I just offered a possible cause. Unfortunately we will never find out.

There speaks a No Win No Fee advocate :D If they are always caused, someone is always to blame

There speaks a No Win No Fee advocate :D If they are always caused, someone is always to blame

Do you dispute my logic? There must always be 'A Cause'. Blame has nothing to do with it.

After nearly 18 years as one of those dreadful adenoid-troubled hard-hat-wearing health and safety people, sometimes s**t just happens. :)

We maintain our caravan-sized trailers very carefully, but we've still had tyres blow and a tow hitch almost completely break free of the A-frame with a weld breaking.

Archived