Solar Lights Around Outside Of Caravan

hymermad

i do enjoy seeing the solar lights that some people put around their vans whilst onsite. As the nights are drawing in we are thinking of getting a few to place around our eriba while we are away. I`m sure that these lights are a bit like Marmite, you either love em or hate em? Anyone know of the best place to look for both choice and cost ? Ellen.

We had some in our garden. Decided to pay quite a bit for them and they still ended up being useless after about 2 years. So I would say buy cheap and replace when needed.

They tend to have low quality rechargable batteries in them (which are of course replaceable easy enough) but also with ours, even though theye werent cheap, they managed to let some water inside the solar cell which then grew green algae and thus stopped some of the light getting through. If we had cleaned them more often they may have lasted a lot longer, but we didnt.

So if buying again, I would get cheaper ones just in case. Good cleaning would help.

Depending on whether you want them to light the area around them, or just act as indicators, will be a big difference as to how many LED's you need in each one, so worth checking.

For my vote, I think they can look quite nice :) although I am not a fan of the fake-rock ones as they look too fakey.

Alex

i do enjoy seeing the solar lights that some people put around their vans whilst onsite. As the nights are drawing in we are thinking of getting a few to place around our eriba while we are away. I`m sure that these lights are a bit like Marmite, you either love em or hate em? Anyone know of the best place to look for both choice and cost ? Ellen.

Hi Ellen

Talk about Marmite, I have a flagpole with flag and wrapped around the pole are 100 led multi coloured flashing solar lights.

Can be seen for miles, when its dark and windy they flash at different sides of the van looks funny.

Hard hat on now for the flack.

Terry.

For me I find that there is already too much light at night around Caravan Club sites and don't like the illuminated tops on EHU bollards. But that is just me.

I don't mind lights and decs at Christmas though :) . On one site recently somebody had flashing LED rope hung in front of their caravan. Glad thet weren't parked opposite to me - as I leave the blinds up till quite late it would have irritated me now end repeatedly flashing.

For me I find that there is already too much light at night around Caravan Club sites and don't like the illuminated tops on EHU bollards. But that is just me.

the warden in the Looe CC club also told me some people put covers over the bollards to block out the light,this when I went in the office to tell them my bollard light was out & needs replacing as you could not see the road were I was. I though he was winding me up,surely safety come before cosmetics

We had quite a few solar lights that I would put around the guys of the awning.

Unfortunately they didn't really work very well. When they are needed the most (winter with dark nights) they weren't operating for very long. As the lights were kept in the locker in storage they couldn't get any charge. It then took a good few days for the sunlight to fully charge them.

This then resulted in the batteries becoming useless. We Now have some mains operated LED sunflower lights that go over the awning, not bright enough to irritate neighbours but enough to see the guylines. Also mains operated so go straight into the outside mains point in the wet locker.

Ian

Our local Tesco had some in the seasonal clearance. Maybe you should have a quick check there.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

We have just bought some. ..from Wilko. ..to mark out where guyline pegs are, think they were 90p each. Only used for last outing and one has packed in already. ..maybe just wants investigating. And there looks to be only one 'bulb' in them.

PS. We were on Putts Corner CC last week and awning near to us had C'mas type flashing lights around awning.

Edited by BlakesWig

My wife drives me mad to put them in as soon as we arrive, She loves them, for me take or leave them but once her orders are out that's it.

the warden in the Looe CC club also told me some people put covers over the bollards to block out the light,this when I went in the office to tell them my bollard light was out & needs replacing as you could not see the road were I was. I though he was winding me up,surely safety come before cosmetics

I don't need lights provided for safety so that I can see the road. If it's dark I can use a small torch if need be.

Hi,

Try Poundland ,-if you have one nearby then when they get troden on/ nicked/ go U. S. you wont have lost a lot of money. Us? we have solar flashing lights ( multi colour ) look like a fairground engine !

cheers david

P. S these shops tend to be seasonal so might find them removed for --------------------Christmas stuff !

I'm playing with the idea of puting strips of white LED's under the van, all the way around the outside (nothing chavy like colour changing etc) so when setting up in the dark, or need to change aquaroll etc I just flick on a switch and have light all round the van. Don't know how well it would work in practice, but I'm looking into it.

Sam

Edited by SamP

There are lots of shops selling half price solar lights at the moment, 'The Range' I got 3 for £6 instead of 12. 99, B & Q Argos to name a few.

Denise

I'm playing with the idea of puting strips of white LED's under the van, all the way around the outside (nothing chavy like colour changing etc) so when setting up in the dark, or need to change aquaroll etc I just flick on a switch and have light all round the van. Don't know how well it would work in practice, but I'm looking into it.

Sam

What great idea!............... If you can keep out the water from the road whilst driving along. :unsure:

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Home Bargains and B&Ms are selling there's quite cheap at the moment. .. Probably making way for the dreaded Christmas stock. ..

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

We've got some in the garden, got them from Asda. About £12:99 for 12.

Regards, Mike

i got talking to a bloke on a site some where last year that had some 'colour change' leds flashing away in the pods behind the pull handles at the front of his van.

he was kind enough to give me a pair : ) the are very discreet but give a nice effect.

he told me that he had them from the Bay of E, and where very cheap. for a power source he was using the supposedly 'dead' batteries from a lorry tacho that were changed at service - blob of solder and the jobs all good. ( remove the led from the holder when you get up. ....)

why the guys are not made from cord that emits light is beyond me . ... boon for safety. . Wheres the Dragons Den number??? : )

Got a box of 4 for £5. 99 from argos that are small hummingbirds that slowly change colour, will be putting them round the front of our eriba this weekend at the eriba meet, some will luv em and some will hate em. .........