Shower Grating

Barry J

Our Avante was supplied from new with a wooden grating in the shower stall.

It looks like its Pine and has been varnished.

Does anybody have any recommendations on the best product to use for effectiveness and longevity ?

I know it seems a shame but unless it is pitch pine (and I bet it isn't) then nothing short of something like linseed oil will do, and I know that the smell and marks will not be acceptable. Better to buy a metre of the special shower none slip matting from your caravan dealer and cut it to shape. :) Peter

Does anybody have any recommendations on the best product to use for effectiveness and longevity ?

Hi

I make a lot of furniture and to ensure that I have a durable finish I use Rustins Plastic Coating. This is a two part product - you add a catalizer and mix before you brush.

We have a steam shower at home with a wooden bench inside to sit on.

Several coats of Rustins seals the wood & makes it completely waterproof.

The bench seat has been in constant use for 4 years and is as good as the first day it was coated.

Thanks Springtime, that's the best suggestion I've ever had for that problem, I certainly would not recommend yacht varnish, tried it don't like it! Peter :unsure:

I took ours out when we showered, after showering the shower was wiped down we put it back in.

But I made a duck board the same shape but thicker out of packing polystyrene with cushion floor matting on top, this is easier on the plastic base & the kids could reach the loo :rolleyes:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Thanks.

Just looking up Rustins Plastic Furniture Coating, it says for interior use only ??

Are you sure its okay for something that is going to get very wet ?

You can't get wetter than a domestic shower that's in constant use by the whole family. As I said 4 years, no probs.

Archived