Tarn Gorges

Pete

Camping Les Peupliers, at Riviere sur Tarn. We've been lots of times, and it ticks our boxes! It has big pitches, plenty of shade, and is in a wider part of the Tarn Gorge, so that you get much longer days than in some of the narrower bits! Its a Camping Cheque site, too, with quite a long Camping Cheque season. Sanitary blocks are good and very clean - if a rather garish chocolate and lime green in one block! There's access to the river, and a small bar/restaurant (we weren't impressed by the rather basic food) but there are a couple of alternatives in Riviere itself. The bread there is very rustic and absolutely delicious, and the pizzas are good. There's a very small shop in Riviere, and a fruit and veg shop opposite the site, with a Boulangerie and a Butcher just up the road. We've been there both in May/June, and late August/September.

We stayed at Camping Capelan, Meyrueis, in the Gorge de la Jonte, the next gorge south, in June 2008. My wife did a review on her caravan forum UKCS/sites/reviews. asp?revid=8319 under the name Iwalani. We found it to be a good site and convenient for both the gorges and the nearby Mont Aigoual. Early June and the site was not in full swing, but even so we enjoyed it and would go again. The Jonte is a little less developed than the Tarn, which to us made it a tad better. It was quieter, closer to nature, but still easy to get to the more popular spots. If you have a family though the Tarn might be better as there is more to "do".

Whichever you pick I will guarantee you some of the best scenery in France.

Another vote for Camping Les Peupliers, at Riviere sur Tarn. A beautifully situated and well run site. We watched beavers in the river there. We also went for a drink in a local bar and were charged 1 Euro for a large glass of wine! How cheap was that!

We've seen the beaver there too!

Camping Neptune, at Grau d'Agde also does wine at 1 euro a glass, and a 'Pression' for 2 euros!

Whilst we love Meyrueis, (the walk to the Chapel at the top, the little pavement cafes, and the boulangerie which does lovely tarts and quiches) it's such a long winding drive up there and back that we prefer to make it into a trip out, rather than be pitched there.

Edited by ValA

does anyone have any recommendations for a site in the above area? have been looking at reviews for le capelan which seem pretty good but would be interested to hear anyones personal views. thanks.

there are some good sites at Millau. ACSI and C Cheque

handy for all the gorges around the Tarn.

check out the Knights Templar cities in the area, amazing fortified towns.

cheers rodders

thanks very much for all your suggestions, will obviously need to do some more research.

i had visions of the tarn gorges a bit like cheddar, seems i need to be thinking more grand canyon :)

yep, its over 30 miles long, i am told.

we only did part of it.

there is a drive around the templar towns.

cheers rodders B)

Edited by rodders68

thanks very much for all your suggestions, will obviously need to do some more research.

i had visions of the tarn gorges a bit like cheddar, seems i need to be thinking more grand canyon :)

you could try these two websites, for starters:

http://www. francethisway. com/places/gorgesdutarn. php

http://www. officedetourisme-gorgesdutarn. com/

Camping de Peyrelade, Riviere sur Tarn. Booked via "Select Sites" 2 years ago. Excellent site and a fabulous holiday. ... Tarn Gorges is abso-bloody-lutely spectacular ( and don't forget to go to the Vulture centre to watch then breeding and feeding . ... :) )

http://www. campingpeyrelade. com/gb/index_gb. html

HTH