Stance Of Bailey Customer Service

terry876

Hi,

I purchased a Bailey caravan August last year, from a dealer a fair distance from me, due to the van being a discontinued model they were the only ones with this model. The PDI was a joke and I vowed I would not go to them again. On the need for the 1st service I contacted Kelly at Bailey to ask if because my van is parked as a seasonal I could use a mobile service engineer for the service and some warranty work which is needed her reply was that provided he was NCC approved it would be OK.

Just had a phone call from my service man to say he cannot do my warranty work Ian Turner from Bailey sent him an e mail stating he cannot complete any Bailey work.(he can do warranty work for Swift, Coachman, Lexon, Elddis) I cannot tow my van to a Bailey dealer so all the items that need repair will not get done, if I had known this before buying Bailey I would have stayed well clear, do they think that because they are selling all the vans they make they no longer have to look after existing customers?

Terry

Edited by Grandpa Steve
- Title edited to reflect topic

I thought it was the same with all manufactures, you can have a service done by an approved workshop (mobile included) but warranty work must be done by the dealer or the manufacturers approved workshop

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

My understanding was that BAiley Warranty work could only be performed by Bailey Approved Service Engineers. . some of which are mobile.

Have a look here. .. http://www. bailey-caravans. co. uk/retailer-network/uk-network/select-your-retailer/#nogo

HTH

G.

The terms of the Bailey warranty can be found here The first condition of which

Cover

1. During the term of the Warranty Cover, subject to these terms and conditions, Bailey will, through an Authorised Service Centre, at its option repair or replace all parts and components of the caravan that are included in the Warranty Cover and which suffer a defect in manufacture or workmanship. An Authorised Service Centre means either Bailey itself, a Bailey Approved Retailer or a Bailey Approved Service Centre. Any part which is replaced becomes the property of Bailey. Any replacement parts are covered for the unexpired term of the Warranty Cover.

seems to be quite clear and unambiguous.

It happens to be for the Pegasus though I suspect the main difference in the terms relate to the Alu-tech construction.

Edited by DeeTee

What you have to remember here is that the franchised Bailey dealers work on a fairly small profit margin. By tying you in to having the servicing, damp checks etc. done by a Bailey dealer, the more profit for the dealer.

An example of this is a computer printer. the printer costs £40 the replacement inks are £35, the profit is in the aftersales service and accessories. Another thing is, don't expect Bailey to be helpful, When I had trouble with mine they were as useful as a chocolate fireguard. I like the idea of the new alutech shell but I will wait several more years to see how they go on. Oh and remember to check your wheel nuts! Peter :wacko:

For Alu tech I thought the only service that cant be done by a service engineer was the sixth service when it goes back to the factory for the body clamps to be tightened .

Caravans are like cars they can be serviced by anyone as long as they are approved (workshop and mobile engineers)

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Lets just make the subject quite clear as far as Mobile Engineers go.

With UK built vans the Contract you enter into on purchase is between you and the supplying Dealer, NOT the Manufacturer.

During the warranty period, servicing can be done by NCC Approved Workshops (fixed or Mobile) as well as the supplying Dealer.

If there are faults with the Appliances in the van, such as the fridge, fire, cooker, water heater etc, those can be fixed by the Mobile Engineer AS LONG AS HE IS APPROVED by the Appliance Manufacturer.

If there are faults with the bodywork or structure of the van, ie water ingress, damage to panels etc, these can ONLY be done by either the Supplying Dealer or one of the caravans Manufacturers Approved Workshops, which may be a Mobile unit, but not ALL NCC Approved Workshops can do it.

It most certainly is not arrogance by any of the manufacturers, it IS protecting your caravan by having the repairs done by those who have been trained in the manufacturers approved repair methods, fixings and sealers etc.

As far as Alu Tech repairs are concerned, there will only be a VERY LIMITED number of repairers who will be able to undertake body repairs if needed, similarly there will only be a VERY LIMITED number of Mobile Engineers who can carry out the 3rd year service and bolt checking.

What is worth remembering is that if you outsource the Annual Servicing away from the Supplying Dealer, he may be less than helpful when bodywork is required as he will favour his regular customers first.

One final point, harsh as it may sound, a Touring Caravan is just that, a TOURING van, it is most certainly NOT a permanent sited vehicle and thos who do permanently site it will encounter problems at times as it is expected that if necessary the van is returned to the Dealer, or the Manufacturer for certain repairs and in the case of Alu Tech, for the 3rd year service (unles you have one of the few Bailey Approved Mobiles near you)

Edited by Brecon

Brecon,

I think I had this instance covered in post 5.

But I know life is more relaxed/slower on the IOW and therefore you are able to go into a more fulsome explanation!

^_^ :D ^_^

G.

Hi Chapmag,

Would you believe that I started my post before you, and it should have appeared a long time ago, but th etide is in and signals take longer to cross the Solent, so it arrived after yours.

Yes, life is slower here, in fact it is more often a case of checking for a pulse at times. ..........................

Hi Chapmag,

Would you believe that I started my post before you, and it should have appeared a long time ago, but th etide is in and signals take longer to cross the Solent, so it arrived after yours.

Yes, life is slower here, in fact it is more often a case of checking for a pulse at times. ..........................

We're just over the water outside Pompey. .. I think I heard your signal crawl by (but it did seem to be picking up pace now it's on the mainland)!!!!!!

:o:D:o

G.

Edited by chapmag

With UK built vans the Contract you enter into on purchase is between you and the supplying Dealer, NOT the Manufacturer.

During the warranty period, servicing can be done by NCC Approved Workshops (fixed or Mobile) as well as the supplying Dealer.

If there are faults with the Appliances in the van, such as the fridge, fire, cooker, water heater etc, those can be fixed by the Mobile Engineer AS LONG AS HE IS APPROVED by the Appliance Manufacturer.

If there are faults with the bodywork or structure of the van, ie water ingress, damage to panels etc, these can ONLY be done by either the Supplying Dealer or one of the caravans Manufacturers Approved Workshops, which may be a Mobile unit, but not ALL NCC Approved Workshops can do it.

It most certainly is not arrogance by any of the manufacturers, it IS protecting your caravan by having the repairs done by those who have been trained in the manufacturers approved repair methods, fixings and sealers etc.

As far as Alu Tech repairs are concerned, there will only be a VERY LIMITED number of repairers who will be able to undertake body repairs if needed, similarly there will only be a VERY LIMITED number of Mobile Engineers who can carry out the 3rd year service and bolt checking.

What is worth remembering is that if you outsource the Annual Servicing away from the Supplying Dealer, he may be less than helpful when bodywork is required as he will favour his regular customers first.

One final point, harsh as it may sound, a Touring Caravan is just that, a TOURING van, it is most certainly NOT a permanent sited vehicle and thos who do permanently site it will encounter problems at times as it is expected that if necessary the van is returned to the Dealer, or the Manufacturer for certain repairs and in the case of Alu Tech, for the 3rd year service (unles you have one of the few Bailey Approved Mobiles near you)

Hi

my van is not an alu tech van, my problems are not with the body work one is bad design in that the heat from the TV stops the blown air heating, my cold water runs hot and cold, the seating has collapsed and the omnvent has stopped working. All easy fixes but need the parts. Also the fact that I checked with Kelly about this ans her reply implyed that I could use a mobile engineer.

Terry

Edited by terry876

brecon you are spot on with everything you have said

Hi,

I purchased a Bailey caravan August last year, from a dealer a fair distance from me, due to the van being a discontinued model they were the

only ones with this model. The PDI was a joke and I vowed I would not go to them again. On the need for the 1st service I contacted Kelly at

Bailey to ask if because my van is parked as a seasonal I could use a mobile service engineer for the service and some warranty work which is

needed her reply was that provided he was NCC approved it would be OK.

Just had a phone call from my service man to say he cannot do my warranty work Ian Turner from Bailey sent him an e mail stating he cannot

complete any Bailey work.(he can do warranty work for Swift, Coachman, Lexon, Elddis) I cannot tow my van to a Bailey dealer so all the items

that need repair will not get done, if I had known this before buying Bailey I would have stayed well clear, do they think that because they are

selling all the vans they make they no longer have to look after existing customers?

Terry

as i see it you have 2 options

1. find a mobile tech or a workshop who operates a mobile service who are approved to undertake bailey warranty repairs.

2. find a bailey approved workshop who offer a delivery and collection service.

as i see it you have 2 options

1. find a mobile tech or a workshop who operates a mobile service who are approved to undertake bailey warranty repairs.

2. find a bailey approved workshop who offer a delivery and collection service.

Hi Reads

To No1 after checking with Kelly I thought I had a mobile service who could complete the work.

to No2 I have 2 Bailey approved workshops within 3 miles but neither offer this service.

Terry.

Hi Reads

To No1 after checking with Kelly I thought I had a mobile service who could complete the work.

to No2 I have 2 Bailey approved workshops within 3 miles but neither offer this service.

Terry.

If your unable to tow your van you could pay someone else to collect it and after the service return it to site ?

Edited by neil and lena

Quote "to No2 I have 2 Bailey approved workshops within 3 miles "

There you have your answer,,,,,you not only have one, but two Bailey workshops on your doorstep, THAT is why there is no Bailey Approved Mobile.

Hi Reads

Terry.

do you not have any family or friends with a tow bar who could move it for you? or what about the mobile tech who has been servicing it for you. could you not ask him either?

Edited by Reads

If your unable to tow your van you could pay someone else to collect it and after the service return it to site ?

Hi

Its not a case of unable to tow but the logistics of packing a seasonal pitch up being able to deliver the van empty to the dealers for them to check whats required

then return to site while the parts are ordered which could be months if the same time scale as past deliveries, then to pack up again to go back to the dealer

empty, for the parts to be fitted. What do I do with everything that I take out of the van as I live 75 miles away, would need a large van 4 times plus time off site without

use sorry too much hassle

Terry.

ask one of the 2 dealers if they would be willing to send someone out to complete the assessment of the problems to establish what is wrong and what parts are needed and you pay for the call out and time for this service?

ask one of the 2 dealers if they would be willing to send someone out to complete the assessment of the problems to establish what is wrong and what parts are needed and you pay for the call out and time for this service?

Hi Reads

Been to both dealers they are not interested

did not buy the van from them so they will not put themselves out to help

Terry

. .... On the need for the 1st service I contacted Kelly at

Bailey to ask if because my van is parked as a seasonal I could use a mobile service engineer for the service and some warranty work which is

needed her reply was that provided he was NCC approved it would be OK.

Terry

. ... All easy fixes but need the parts. Also the fact that I checked with Kelly about this ans her reply implyed that I could use a mobile engineer.

Terry

Terry,

As has been demonstrated by a few of us on here. . Bailey's position is fixed and has been for quite some time.

Kelly is well known on here and is renowned for her service and accuracy of responses.

You have moved from "her reply was that provided he was NCC approved it would be OK."

to. .

"her reply implyed that I could use a mobile engineer".

Do you have a copy of your question and Kelly's reply that you could post for clarification?

My money is on the fact that a simple mis-communication has occurred in that you thought you'd received a response inline with what you wanted to hear.

Given Baileys position has been and is fixed and documented. .. I'd suggest you put you efforts into working out how you work within that position to get the outcome you desire rather than posting here about the "Arrogance Of Bailey Customer Service"!

Cheers,

G.

Edited by chapmag

Quote "Its not a case of unable to tow but the logistics of packing a seasonal pitch up . ....................................................... sorry too much hassle"

Quote "did not buy the van from them so they will not put themselves out to help"

Excuse me if I seem insensitive, BUT,,,,,,,it was the van owner, Terry, who CHOSE to seasonally pitch the van, therefore must take the blame for the problem he now has as the van is a TOURING van, not a Static van.

As for the local dealers/workshops. ......they are quite within their rights not to do anything as there is no contract with either,,which then shows the hidden "Cost" of remote purchases,,,,,,it hardly ever pays in the long run as is being proven.

If the problems are to be fixed, as I see it, then Terry, you will have to return the van to your purchasing dealer, if he will now accept it bearing in mind you hav eexcluded him from the Annual Service and so he may be less than willing to accomodate your needs.

If the Terry fails to get the caravan serviced within six weeks of the anniversary of purchase, the expiry of which must be imminent, he stands to lose the manufacturer's water ingress warranty.