Just Got A Dart 556-6

therealboss

Just bought a Dart 556-6 and will be picking it up next Sat if all goes well, but have a few questions that I hope some of you might be able to shine some light on for me.

This is our first caravan and I have download the new owner check list and done a fair bit of research on the web but thought I would ask here for some advice.

Are there any issues with this caravan and if so what should I keep an eye out over the next few months. The dealer I bought it off has given me 12 month guarantee but as with most guarantees I guess its all a very gray area and as I'm new to caravanning I don't really know what to look out for apart from the obvious.

I have read on the web and in this forum that the front and rear panels can crack, I have inspected them very closely and can't see any issues there. I have also spent about 45mins in the van looking for signs of damp and can't see any, looked in all the cupboards and under the beds in the storage boxes and very close inspection of the ceiling for any marks but all looks fine. Its not just damp I am worried about, but also any other issues that might be inherent with this model of Avondale in general.

Is there anything else I should be aware of, like brakes, power, gas, or electrical? I just want to know all I can about this model, the good, bad and the ugly.

Has anyone here got a manual for this model in PDF format or is there one I can download off the web.

Any help or suggestions very welcome.

Thanks

Sold my 4 year old 556 last month - great caravan but had 2 lots of damp. One was in the back corner & the other in the roof over the oven. Lost some money on it by selling back to the dealer I bought it from - looking at over £1500 to repair both bits - but I was happy with the deal overall. . Dealer has now repaired the damp and put it up for sale - no mention of damp in the advert of course.

Just a word of advice - specifically ask the dealer if they have any knowledge of damp repairs. If they are not asked then they won't mention it. Plus get the previous owners details from the CRiS document and try and contact them to check. I guess this advice applies to any second hand purchase, but particularly when the manufacturer is no longer around to pick up any Ingress Warenty claims.

Otherwise enjoy your Dart - it's a great layout for families and so cleap to tow.

Hi, thanks for coming back to me on this topic.

Murraymint - Thinks for the suggestions, I did ask if the dealer had done any work on and van and he tells me "Only Servicing" and like I said I can't find any damp anywhere in the van.

Ian - My van is a 2003.

No need to worry about panels cracking then you've got the last of the grp ones. Only one place I can think of to check for damp more than usual, that is round the top of the toilet as quite a few leaked around the toilet flush.

Regards,

Ian.

I've got a 2005 dart 556 6 and not had any real problems so far (only had it for 3 months though). But I've managed to damage 2 parts of the van so far. . 1st was the guide for the slats on the front bed, don't kneel too near the runner guide whilst making up the bed or you'll snap it. 2nd is that if you get drunk and use the loo in the night, there is a frame you have to step over when you come out of the toilet area. .. I forgot this, tripped over it and ripped the wood off :blink: . I've gotta fix it all tomorrow somehow :(. Other than that, it's a great van.

Glyn

Glyn

When we bought our 556/6 the frame that you step over to get out of the toilet area was damaged. I fixed the panel back in place then covered the join either end with wood strips, I have some 'steamed beech' in stock which when finished with 'danish oil' is exactly the same colour as the wood panel. On the toilet side I used some white plastic left over from when I had a house clad in plastic. If you looked at the van now you would never know that a repair had been carried out! If you contact me with your email address I will send you a couple of photographs showing the way I fixed it.

Alan