A Tip For Using A Dongle In The Caravan

Easy T

When I use my Vodafone dongle on the lap top there is a stronger signal in the awning than in the caravan. Example if strength were 80% in awning then might well be 60% in caravan,

So if I am in a poor reception area I use a 2 metre USB extension cable and just hang the dongle out of the caravan front window so that it hangs about 6 inches outside the 'van. This restores the signal strength for me. For some reason it works better outside the front side window rather than the side window ? But it is very useful. .

Edited by Easy T

I use a 2mtr. USB and it does work beautifully.

If you stand in the van and move your phone

around to find the strongest signal, put your

extended dongle in that position, I have even

blue-tacked or taped it to the roof before now.

i have notiiced a better signal outside the van with our 3 dongle very occasionally but usually get a good signal inside

We usually have a good enough signal inside. But in poor areas I find it makes the difference between a slowish connection and 'forget it'. In middling reception I also find it worth while.

Does anyone know if there is an external aerial that can pick up mobile phone signals and then transfer them to an internal transmitter? It would save the "standing on one leg, holding the phone up into the Heki" situations!! :blink:

We bought a Zoom 3G Wireless Router (Amazon), stick the dongle in that, stand it next the front window and away we go. We can both have web access and it has never let us down yet.

Alec

Considering we are sitting in a tin shed when we dongle it is no wonder that the signal is weak. I always hang my dongle out of the window. :D

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

We use a 3-MIFI dongle which can be put out in an awning or in the Heki internal channel for height and then sprays WIFI through the caravan, so you don't need to be plugged in all the time.

On the last site, we were getting GPRS data coverage even though I couldn't get a phone signal.

Edited by Barry J

I too use a 3 Mi-Fi dongle nice bit of kit plus remember it can supply up to five wifi units. At the moment PC World are doing a web excusive for £48. 99 this includes a 5GB data sim at £15. 99 per month but I already have a 5GB sim on 3 which I now get for £8. 00 per month. Why I mention this is because the PC World nere me told me that they had to set up the unit with the sim card this is a total con and they do NOT have to set it up and after a bit of a chat (if you know what I mean) they did not set it up, it also states on the box it can be set up via phone or web. The reason I got it like this is because it is cheeper than paying for a PAYG dongle.

Bottom line is I find it works well.

Discussed at length and detail on several occasions, heres one thread

http://www. caravanta. ..__1#entry534707

nigel

Hopefully as more TAGS become used properly this will be easier to find. If the OP had tagged DONGLE future posters see similar posts with DONGLE tags.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.