Winter Vents, When To Fit Them?

caraman1

Just bought winter vents for our Unicorn. Should I be thinking of fitting them now? We next go away end of September. Also when do you start 'draining down' we will be away most months throught the winter but don't want to be caught out especially with the toilet flush.

Thanks

Dave

Winter vent covers should be fitted when the temperature drops to 8 degrees or less.

Yes, thanks, I understand that, but when are we likely to see those temperatures generally??

Edited by caraman1

Depends on the weather and if your van 'sees' sun. For me draining end of October early November. In North Scotland I don't know. I live near Chester and have just drained my van as I am not out till mid December. Winter vent covers I have never used.

Edited by Easy T

Winter vents!...Stop it, i'm hoping for an Indian summer at the end of the month!

Still time for one last trip to the beach surely!

2021 Swift Sienna Super 4SB

Never used them and regularly Winter Tour. Only put the Hot Water System Flue Cover on whilst traveling. It was +2 the other morning up here in deepest South Lanarkshire so always drain down. Got caught out once before in one of my earlier Vans with a severe early snap frost ended up having to change the water tank. Ma fault !!! :unsure:

Grumpy Auld Smeesh. ........ :angry:

Ace Jubilee Statesman . ...... Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE Auto Sport . ........

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

What you have to remember about winter fridge vents is that they're not to protect the fridge workings from rain, snow, dirt or pestilence etc. Their function is to slow down the air circulation at the back of the fridge so it stays warmer and the fridge can then operate properly. If you're out in freezing (or near freezing) weather and you don't use the covers then there's a chance your fridge will run warmer than required because the heat transfer at the back isn't happening efficiently. The same sort of problem can occur with home fridges/freezers that are kept in unheated garages and outbuildings.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I drain down my system every time I leave a site, I drain the flush for the loo, when OH has washed up after breakfast & used all the hot water she opens the drain tap for the heater & opens all the hot & cold taps. Hopefully the last of the water will have drained by the time I get home,

If its likely to be cold I blow down the taps when we get home & remove the shower head

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi

The only covers I use go on the fridge vents - and as stated at 8 degrees or less. I know we have had a touch of forst recently, but I will probably wait til November before covering the fridge vents. (Note - only use the manufacturers recomended covers as they still leave a small vent area free. Some ventilation is essential.)

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

As Andy says, the qualifier could be wind speed.

We were near Truro and the wind howling onto

the vent side of the caravan. It was a cold bright day

anyway and the fridge was not dropping temp.

I had to fit the vent covers to get it working efficiently

Draining down we drain down when we leave our last

site of the year, the travelling helps get all the residual

water out :D

Edited by gumdrop

8 degrees, Is this daytime temp or night time? Think you have to use a bit of your own judgment on this one, unless your willing to put them on and off as the temp swings one way and the other over the next couple of months. As mine is going into storage next week I will put them on anyway, if we do go anywhere later i will see what the weathers like, I know from leaving them on at the start of this year the fridge does get very hot if there left on when not needed.

I use my covers when the nice man or woman on Auntie BBC tells me it is going to be very cold.

If you want to try and do it yourself try using this site. http://www. xcweather. co. uk/ Just adjust the location to suit your area. B)

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

The thing is, unless you're actually using the fridge during cold weather there's absolutely no reason for fitting the vent covers. So if your van is going into storage for the winter you can leave the covers off as they'll be of no benefit whatsoever. Conversely I suppose you could put them on and they'll do absolutely nothing as well :)

. ....So if your van is going into storage for the winter you can leave the covers off as they'll be of no benefit whatsoever. .....

In addition not all new caravans comes with the covers as standard now so there is a nice 2nd hand marketplace for them! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I put mine on if we are in and using the 'van and remove them when the 'van goes back into storage!

G.

Edited by chapmag

The thing is, unless you're actually using the fridge during cold weather there's absolutely no reason for fitting the vent covers. So if your van is going into storage for the winter you can leave the covers off as they'll be of no benefit whatsoever. Conversely I suppose you could put them on and they'll do absolutely nothing as well :)

But they will stop some of the dust and dirt blown around the storage site from getting in.

Dave

What you have to remember about winter fridge vents is that they're not to protect the fridge workings from rain, snow, dirt or pestilence etc. Their function is to slow down the air circulation at the back of the fridge so it stays warmer and the fridge can then operate properly. If you're out in freezing (or near freezing) weather and you don't use the covers then there's a chance your fridge will run warmer than required because the heat transfer at the back isn't happening efficiently. The same sort of problem can occur with home fridges/freezers that are kept in unheated garages and outbuildings.

Down to -12 to-14 last Christmas for most of the 8 nights away and no problem on site with the fridge. No vent covers but the vent is within the awning (still below freezing). The only time I have had a problem is when the van is on the drive and there is no internal heating within the caravan. I had to put the heating on in the van to allow the fridge and ice compartment to chill down prior to loading up for the holiday.

Down to -12 to-14 last Christmas for most of the 8 nights away and no problem on site with the fridge. No vent covers but the vent is within the awning (still below freezing). The only time I have had a problem is when the van is on the drive and there is no internal heating within the caravan. I had to put the heating on in the van to allow the fridge and ice compartment to chill down prior to loading up for the holiday.

That reminds me of our first campervan which only had space for a 907 butane cylinder. Luckily it was inboard in a cupboard under the fridge and so with both the van heater and a diesel fired Truma ancillary heater the interior never got really cold when we needed to use the butane, so it caused us no problem even in the depths of winter.

Thank you for such a helpful reply

Dave

It was actually intended to be helpful because it's easy to make things too complicated but let me explain what common sense suggests;

Since van manufacturers don't always supply fridge vent covers it doesn't really matter if you put them on or not.

If you do have them then putting them on when not using them will stop dust & debris getting in and if you think it's going to go get near freezing whilst your using the van put them on.

As for draining down, every area is different. Only you know when temperatures are likely to go below freezing inside your van so if you think they will before you use the van again, then drain down.

poolebob