Alko Suspension Problems

neil and lena

Have noticed that my van when parked on level ground sits 2 cms lower on the O/S (have measured the distance between the top of the wheel arch to ground level) spoke to my dealer who thinks this acceptable because the cooker, fridge and Hot water tank are located on the O/S which would make it sit slightly lower .

I not convinced and think the rubber bushes may be collapsing, the van was new 20 months ago so would this be covered under warranty ?

Or is 2cm acceptable

Comments please

Sounds like you may have a problem there. The van should sit straight after only 20 months. I know you've probably already done this but have you checked the tyre pressures to make sure they are the same? You would be amazed at how much a van can sink on one side with just a 10PSI difference.

Sounds like you may have a problem there. The van should sit straight after only 20 months. I know you've probably already done this but have you checked the tyre pressures to make sure they are the same? You would be amazed at how much a van can sink on one side with just a 10PSI difference.

Hi the tyre pressure's were ok last time I checked so I'm thinking there's a problem, does anyone know how long ALKO guarantee there chassis's for defect

Edited by neil and lena

Hi,

Try to measure the distance from the underside of the chassis to the ground on both sides, will give you an idea of the difference so you can report it to dealers

Regards david1220

P. S. forgot to mention, dont trust measuring the bodywork, might not be the same on both sides !!

Edited by david 1220

Hi,

Try to measure the distance from the underside of the chassis to the ground on both sides, will give you an idea of the difference so you can report it to dealers

Regards david1220

P. S. forgot to mention, dont trust measuring the bodywork, might not be the same on both sides !!

Good point David never even considered that, I will double check the measurements tomorrow and tyre pressures

Thanks

It is perfectly normal to have one side slightly lower, as you have been told, and the reason why.

It is highly unlikely that the suspension rubbers are faulty or collapsing.

If it is lower one side than the other, alarm bells would ring in my head.

O. K. the fridge, cooker and hot water tank are on the one side. This suggests that the main storage for kitchen implements and food are also on the same side.

This could easily overload the offside tyre when loaded up for a trip.

I'd be inclined to take it to a weighbridge and see what weight each wheel takes, and take it again once the caravan is fully loaded.

Scales

Have checked the tyre pressure's and the distance from the underside of the chassis and the pressure's are correct and the measurement from chassis to ground is 22cm on both sides so it would suggest that the suspension is sitting level .

forgot to add the van is virtually empty and even when loaded it tows perfectly

Edited by neil and lena