Just About To Get First Caravan

Robrs2

Hi all new to here and caravans.

Due to working away from home I've made the decision to get a caravan to stop in while there.

So I have gone for an elddis firestorm 640, as it was advertised. Prior to buying I'm getting the CRiS check done. The current owner said he has not got it registered. I got an email today with the vin number as I forgot to write it down when I had a look. Anyway they sent an 18 digit number. Is this right?

It was advertised as a 2000 model but the year code that I can tell from the vin number is 1999.

I'm going to have a hpi check on Monday but want to make sure that an 18 number code could be right.

Thanks

Rob.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

The fact that its a 1999 number on a 2000 caravan is not a problem, many are made the year before they are registered. I would be more worried about the owner not having it registered, why not, a 2000 model caravan realy should be. I think I am right in saying CRiS is part of hpi. If not there is certainly some sort of link or tie up. Be careful!

Yes. Bought via eBay. When I said I would pick up in 6 days when I finished work and after the vin was sent. He started to insist it was sold that weekend. Yes alarm bells, that's why the hpi check is a must.

My suspision is possible finance on the van. I'll wait and see.

I would be more worried about the owner not having it registered, why not, a 2000 model caravan realy should be. I think I am right in saying CRiS is part of hpi. If not there is certainly some sort of link or tie up. Be careful!

I think vans of this age are CRiS registered from new. Presumably what the present owner implied by saying he has not got it registered is that he did not pay to have the change of ownership registered when it came into his possession. The OP is right to check it out.

I would get an independant engineer to inspect the van, especially for any damp, this should cost about £40-£50

If the owner says NO, then walk away.

Make sure the Vin is the same on all windows and the chassis A frame

I have just bought my 1st van off ebay, I did all the right checks and the van is superb.

I phoned Elddis today. Very helpful, pre 2000 models are on paper in there records. As I had an 18 digit code something was wrong. They checked and said the last few digits were the problem. The model is different to advertised. Think it was a grand superstorm or something like that, but will check with the new number I got from the current owner.

So tomorrow HPI check

As for rot. The van did smell dry. It hard to hide the damp smell. The only problems are where the fridge had leaked and the mdf wood next to it has swollen, easy for me to sort. Also it feels like there is a slight delamination of the floor just in from the door. Again after checking up should be able to sort this ok.

Apart from that it's just a good clean up and sat TV.

You will not be able to smell damp until the wood is actually rotting. A cheap damp meter properly used is the best investment you can make.

http://www. mobilecar. ..an-engineer. htm

have a look here and click on the area you bought the van, it will list engineers in that area, I had 2 inspections on 2 vans, by 2 different guys. the 1st had damp which I didn't spot, the 2nd was ok and is now mine.

It was the best £50 I have spent, saved me spending £5250 on a van with damp.

I looked at the savings I was getting buying private, probably £3000 in the end over what mine would be on a dealer forecourt.

Yes I have found it a bit of a mine field with vans. Seen dealer ones for lots of money I would not put chickens in and very well kept Pirvate sale one, but for a lot of money too.

Best one I found was someone how washed and polished theres through the summer. Then covered it over winter. It was very nice but almost £2k over guide price.

Yes I have found it a bit of a mine field with vans. Seen dealer ones for lots of money I would not put chickens in and very well kept Pirvate sale one, but for a lot of money too.

Best one I found was someone how washed and polished theres through the summer. Then covered it over winter. It was very nice but almost £2k over guide price.

I think the ones that are over priced privately will stay that way for ALONG time, ie. for sale, Something is ONLY worth what someone is willing to pay.

I would get an independant engineer to inspect the van, especially for any damp, this should cost about £40-£50

If the owner says NO, then walk away.

Make sure the Vin is the same on all windows and the chassis A frame

I have just bought my 1st van off ebay, I did all the right checks and the van is superb.

Bit late for this if the van has already been won on e-bay? Unless the seller claimed it was dampfree or A1 condition, I guess.

Got the van today. Had a good look for all the broken bits, not too bad. Time for a good tidy up and polishing of the outside.

Need for get seals for the locker doors if anyone knows what type the elddis have or where to get them?

Yes I remember Barrons selling the firestorm as a dealers special. Is that one a twinaxle?

RETAILER SPECIAL EDITIONS

2003 EXPLORER GROUP RETAILER SPECIAL EDITIONS

PARENT MODEL RETAILER SPECIAL PARENT MODEL RETAILER SPECIAL

AVANTÉ

ADVANTAGE CORONA AMAZON

BROADWAY CONCERTO

CARRON MAGNUM

DIAMOND WARREN

ELUSION SHIRAZ

EMPEROR

FIRESTORM

INVICTA