Over-winter Campsite In South Italy/sicily

Thanks to those forum members who have provided advice in the last 8 months.

My plans to buy a house with land in Italy (to eventually establish a campsite) progressed very well until a hiccup with transfering the land deeds. This has resulted in me being delayed until Jan 2012 before I can take my van, pitch up next to my new house and start work.

So, I am now considering spending November and December in Southern Italy. Does anyone have any recommendations for a long-stay campsite. I have ACSI membership.

Thanks in advance.

John

Hi

Strange coincidence this as I was talking to another CT member by PM about Sicily only yesterday!

Since then I have been able to find this site - http://www. faitasicilia. it/

Also worth a read is another Italian site - www. camping. it - click to the Sicily section.

Also, it might be cheaper not to use ACSI, even on ACSI sites, and barter. I have found this works well on Italian sites, more so when paying cash rather than card!

The furthest south I have been in Italy is Pompei where you will find Camping Spartacus open all year round - cheap too! Not fabulous facilities, but close to shops, supermarkets and motorway. Naples is not far either for the ferry to Sicily.

Keep us posted of your campsite - the Kontiki would be willing to come and visit! Is that on the mainland or the islands?

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Thanks for the advice Russell.

I've just finished looking at your toll-free routes to Italy and found that I'd used the Germany route for my trip earlier this year. Great website you have.

I'm buying a house on the Adriatic side of Italy - near Pescara, but not on the coast. It's about 40 minutes from the sea and 30 minutes from the ski resorts of the Gran Sasso.

The overwinter requirement is really a time-filler as I was planning on heading to my new house in Italy in the next couple of weeks but as it won't be mine until January, I thought I'd wait somewhere warm and close enough to pop up and complete when it's ready.

The plan is to take at least 2 years to set up a campsite, but until we are established we'll have a very large 'garden' for anyone wanting to stopover.

From the resaearch I did, the weather on Sicily seems to hold averages the same as Valencia/Alicante in Spain.

I once overwintered at Garda though - cold but lovely!

Thanks for your thoughts re the toll free stuf etc.

When you are open, we will be there!

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

There are twenty-seven sites in Italy open at that time of year - eight of them in Sicily - so I think I'd head there. Funnily enough it's somewhere I've always wanted to go - and yesterday, talking to my brother and his wife, found that's where they're going for a holiday next year! (Not camping though!)

There are enough other ACSI sites open at that time of year (one or two in most provinces of Italy) to be able to find places to stop-over en-route, and if you find somewhere you like you could just stay there!