8 Reversing light(s) Pink 1. 5

9 Positive direct from battery (Power) Orange 2. 5

10 Positive ignition key on (Fridge) Grey 2. 5

11 Earth return for contact 10 White/Black 2. 5

12 Signalling connection to trailer White/Blue 1. 5

13 Earth return for contact 9 White/Red 2. 5

Hope this helps

Paul

Never had a 13pin connection on a car, so was wondering what the extra cables do?

There are no extra cables compared to a 12N/12S plug set up. Both have 12 cables as outlined by Paul above except that pin 12 in normally not used.

Brian

There are no extra cables compared to a 12N/12S plug set up. Both have 12 cables as outlined by Paul above except that pin 12 in normally not used.

Brian

You are quite correct Brian, but there is a difference in the recommended earth conductor size: -

The earth return in the 12N cable is 2. 0mm2

The two earth returns in the 12S cable are 2. 5mm2 (pin 3) and 1. 5mm2 (pin 7)

All three earth return cables in the 13 core cable are 2. 5mm

Regards,

David

David,

Yes you are correct, this is the current spec for the wiring, but the question was are there any extra cables. If the OP is happy with what he has on the 12N/12S, then just changing the sockets will make no difference to the performance. I think under the old standard some of the wiring was only 1mm2. Now the minimum is 1. 5mm2 with 5 cores at 2. 5mm2.

I think there are still many towbar fitters around who do not use the current standard, from reading some of the posts on here.

It is particulary important if you have a caravan with ATC, that the wiring is done to the current ISO standard, which is shown here for anyone who does not know

http://www. sargentltd. co. uk/ISO11446_Data. pdf

Brian

David,

Yes you are correct, this is the current spec for the wiring, but the question was are there any extra cables. If the OP is happy with what he has on the 12N/12S, then just changing the sockets will make no difference to the performance. I think under the old standard some of the wiring was only 1mm2. Now the minimum is 1. 5mm2 with 5 cores at 2. 5mm2.

I think there are still many towbar fitters around who do not use the current standard, from reading some of the posts on here.

It is particulary important if you have a caravan with ATC, that the wiring is done to the current ISO standard, which is shown here for anyone who does not know

http://www. sargentlt. ..O11446_Data. pdf

Brian

I agree with you entirely Brian - we are 'both singing from the same hymn sheet'!

According to our local caravan dealer, over 90% of the 'faults' reported by their customers regarding their ATC systems were traced to inadequate and/or improper wiring of the 12v. supplies from the car battery to the 13-pin socket - and most of these were done by so called "Auto Electricians" who had probably never heard of ISO 11446. :o

Regards,

David

Pin 9

Brian

Thanks Brian. That was something that come up in a conversation I was having a few weeks ago.

Thanx guys

But since I've only had a 7 pin on the car (new one has the 13pin) I was wondering what and how, gets used now

What plug or plugs do you have on your caravan ?

If you only had a 12N socket on your previous tug, you were missing out on running your 'van fridge and charging the 'van battery whilst towing.

GT60's got a 13 pin

So when connected the battery is being charged & the fridge is run from the car battery

Does this happen automatically or is there something I need to switch?

Archived