Cl Pois Not Loading On Garmin1340

barrie1

I have just changed from my old TomTom to a Garmin 1340. I have tried to load in the Caravan Club CLs but all I get is a list in the Extras POIs and when I click on one there is no option to go to that address. I have tried several times, using the Garmin POI downloader but still just a list. Am I expecting too much from the Garmin as in this respect the TomTom was excellent. Some help would be much appreciated.

You need to go through an additional process with the data for the Garmin. There is a program called POI loader that converts them to a format that the Garmin devices can use and you then import them rather than open them. I admit I'm struggling to import the file, so it is possible that it is damaged in some fashion.

Just checked on my 1340LMT and neither of the Caravan Club files are working properly- they open but don't give the option to "go". I have tried the card with my poi files in my old Nuvi 205 and they open and give the option to go. Checking other poi files which I loaded onto the card at the same time they seem to work fine in the 1340. I suppose a way round the problem would be to use the postcode shown when you select your CL/ CC site then I assume the CC logo will show when you get close to your destination (not had the unit long enough yet to see if this shows in the sane way that the 205 did).

Looking at the Excel file I think it may be down to the formatting, I shall try reformatting a couple of sites and see if that works, then I shall set about reformatting the whole thing if that works! I will get back to you as soon as I have given this a try.

Sorry, i thought I had a cure, but on trying with the full files it does not appear to have helped I'll keep trying and post the correct cure when I find how I fixed the file the last time!

Edited by MrOmori

My first thought is that it was the formatting of the excel file which was causing the problem, the simple way cure it appeared to be:-

1) open the CC/ CL file in Excel

2) highlight all the fields that are filled

3) drag the fields down one line (so the top line is on lie 2 instead of 1) by moving cursor over the bold vertical black line so as a "cross hair" appears instead of your cursor and press the left mouse button and then drag everything down.

4) on line 1 you now want to fill in the boxes as thus 1-A ";Longitude" 1-B "Latitude" 1-C "Name"

Having done that it did not work any differently to the original file although the test file I made worked fine, I have therfore decided that all I probably had to do was re-name the file (in my case i called the CC sites and CC cl's) as I have done this to the original CC file and it is now working fine, dont forget to rename the bitmap images with the same name as the excel file so as they show on the screen when you get there. I have left the original thoughts on a cure incase anyone wants to tidy up how the information is presented on the Nuvi (you need to also add column 1-d "Details") but it may take some time to cut and paste everything in the right places!

I have recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 1340LMT and I am not too happy with it .

If you are not too careful it will take you down narrow lanes .

In France it sent me through semi-pedestrian village centres even though there was a by-pass.

The browse feature is like stirring treacle. It seems to go where it wants, and keeps putting points up to save

Well done. It is often formatting that does the damage. Have you let the Caravan Club know?

This is the first time I have had any problems with a POI file (and wouldn't have known about this one until november if it hadn't been for this thread!) Never thought to

tell the caravan club, although as the files work fine on the Nuvi 205 I think it may be more of a Garmin glitch. I will contact both CC and Garmin later when I get time to

put the emails together. Still not sure why changing the file name made a difference though, the rest of the information I gave really only helps tidy up what is in my opinion a messy file!

If you are not too careful it will take you down narrow lanes .

Don't all sat navs (except the ones with vehicle width settings) try to do this?

Just used my 1340lmt to go to Berwick yesterday and I am more than happy with it, the traffic avoidance tried to send me into Edinburgh on the way home, but I chose to ignore it and stick with the original route putting up with the 3 minute delay, as at the end of the day it is only there to help give me advice- it is my responsibility as a driver to decide if the advice it is giving is safe or appropriate. I would check your route preferences and avoidances- I found that setting it to fuel saving throws up some strange route choices and now stick with fastest route as my route option to get the best results for me.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. It certainly seems that the Caravan Club data is wrong. I did get it to load with the GO displayed but it told me to go off road and across some fields. Glad I never had the caravan on the back as I was trying it out on a site near my home. Hopefully the Club will sort it out asap.