New Stealth Models

peterjohn

Hi Guys,

Just received an e-mail from Stealth showing 3 new models for 2012.

It looks like they are taking note that their 'vans aren't selling because of the unusual

configuration. The new ones look quite stunning although it's hard to judge when you haven't even seen one in the flesh. Will be keeping an eye on the Manchester exhibition

at Trafford Park in the new year. Regards to you all Peter :)

Hi Guys,

Just received an e-mail from Stealth showing 3 new models for 2012.

It looks like they are taking note that their 'vans aren't selling because of the unusual

configuration.

Not sure what you mean by "unusual configuration" : do you mean internal layout?

Personally, I doubt that many people have ever been inside one so it seems unlikely that this is the reason for them not selling (if they are not selling).

The reason for that (not getting inside them) is probably twofold.

First, they don't have dealerships, as I understand it, so anyone in the market checking out their local dealerships in search of a new van . ...or just stopping by out of idle curiosity about what the latest models are like. ... and coming away with a new van, as you do. ...aren't likely to come across one.

Second, I very much doubt that many caravaners will seek out a Stealth to check it out inside because they are likely to be put off by the unconventional outside design. Not all - there's no accounting for taste and the Portakabin-on-wheels look might appeal to some people. But my guess is that there is a certain amount of conservatism in the tastes of long-standing caravaners and many will want to buy a caravan that is more recognisably like a caravan. I doubt that even the name "Stealth" resonates with those with traditional expectations of a caravan for whom Mendip, Cotswold or something not too exotically foreign like Bergundy or Panache or something outdoorish but not too adventurous (such as Ranger) might strike a happier note.

Of course, Dunster House maybe aiming at a different and wider market. Perhaps a younger more aggressive one looking for a new, modern, contemporary take on their dad's or grandad's ideal of what a caravan should be. Other manufacturers are, after all, only just getting over the feeling they should upholster vans with bold chintzy patterns out of the 1950s.

Maybe those of us who don't like the Stealth are not the people they are aiming at anyway - just as Ikea doesn't seem very interested in customers who want a three piece suite, mahogany sideboard and a flight of plaster ducks up the wall.

Maybe the contemporary interior is what makes the Stealth attractive to its target market, if there is such a market. I rather doubt it and am certainly not part of it. I wouldn't cross the road to look in something so ugly let alone drive to the works or a Caravan Show to check them out. I think the front end and exterior design is hideous. I might buy something less conventionally shaped - even something as ugly as this - if it offered me better aerodynamics and improved towability. If the Stealth does this, this does not feature in its advertising as far as I can see.

Each to their own. Live and let live. But I don't look forward to seeing many more of these on caravan sites.

Edited by lottie

Erm, "look in something so ugly"? Have you found www. stealthconcordia. co. uk? Personally, don't think the new ones are ugly at all! Funny how everyone is going dark front end now - Stealth started it, now swift, elddis, coachman.

EDIT: Still trying to work out how to put links in. .. It isnt automatic like on microsoft word.

EDIT EDIT: Second attempt at making it link!

Edited by MarkE

Hi Mark, The Concordia was what I was referring to. I don't think it looks much different externally to the new Swifts.

They still haven't got the layout I want, but then again neither has anyone else.

I have written to several caravan manufacturers with my suggestion, basically I want a made up double bed. room up both sides so I don't have to clamber over my wife to go to the toilet, a window on both sides of the bed so my wife can have a window open at night (I don't) and at the other end of the van I don't want 2 long single beds that can make into a double. What I want is 2 reclining chairs. I don't want provision for 4 people, I want home comfort in my 'van, I sooooo miss my recliners. Is this too much to ask for? yes it is, so far. If anyone agrees with me, lets start something, maybe they will listen. Unfortunately the people who design caravans are not the ones who use them I am convinced. Peter. :)

Hi - I quite like the layouts - fixed bed, large end bathroom with a 'sitting room' in between - why can't the mainstream manufactures made a fixed bed caravan for two people as they do re the 'traditional' two berth

Quite fancy one but a bit concerned that I have yet to see one on a site or on the road

Tetra

I've seen two, so they do exist and someone is buying them. In fact saw them both on the same day last month, one on the A1 and the other on the A68. Do I get extra points for I-Spy?

Dave:

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen the three new 2012 Concordia models "in the flesh" today, I have to say that they are likely to have a much broader appeal than the Defiant range. I have taken a number of photos of them, but I will not spoil the surprise for those visiting the NEC show, where the official launch is to take place. However pictures are likely to appear on Caravan Talk in the near future :)

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.