Refillable Gas Bottles

Andyvon

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does look good in the fact that you can see how much gas you have left and that it's lightweight,but the initial cost is a lot more than i personally would be willing to pay out for the bottle. to refill it works out about the same as we pay for our gas at the moment.

I use one of the safefill bottles. Last fill up was £10. 60 for 15. 5 Litres of LPG. Never had any issues finding somewhere to fill up, and a full bottle is roughly the same weight as an empty steel one of the same size, so it helps with loading.

I opted for the Safefill rather than any permanently installed system, so if I do run low or run out of gas, I can simply take the cylinder out, put it in the back of the car and go and fill it up, rather than with an installed system, have to take the caravan to fill up.

Morrisons filling stations are now getting used to the idea, some refused at first, but apparently head office issued guidance to all its flling stations as to which bottles could be used (there is a letter with the pictures of the cylinders on that can be filled apparently)

If you have issues with getting the nose weight down on your 'van, it may be worth considering one of these.

FT

I have just emailed a couple of petrol companys to find out if they will accept the filling of them so will wait too hear back, as the nearest filling stations on the website for me are alnwick and darlington which are too far away to justify filling up. i did ask the local jet garage but they hadn't heard of the bottles until i mentioned, one person said yes it would be ok another said no. (issues with travelers filling up normal bottles with adapters). hoping to get a bottle bought for me for christmas. :D

Heard of adaptors, never seen a safefill bottle. I would worry about safety. I dont trust myself

The safe-fill has a one way valve for filling and an automatic valve that cuts off filling when the bottle is full. You simply attach the bayonet fit nozzle at the pump and press the button to fill up. When the price to pay on the pump stops going up the bottle is full. You turn off the pump and remove the nozzle.

You really can not go wrong.

I've filled these numerous times without even being challenged at the filling station and never had a problem with them.

It's good to know that Morrisions have given them the full OK though.

The system is fool proof with the 80% overfill cut off and the non return valve that operates should you forget to shut the main valve after filling.

It's great being able to see how full the bottle is rather than rely on some dodgy gauge like on the calor lite bottles and being able to top up is a god send, now never having to set off with a half full bottle.

The bottle price may seem high but when you consider a 6kg calor lite is around £25 these days it only takes the equivalent of using 9 calors and you will have made your money back on the price of the new bottle.

It's a no-brainer for any tourer using even moderate gas usage. ..... and I can pull it out of the van and fire up the BBQ at home with it.

Mark.

Edited by Burnt

The bottle price may seem high but when you consider a 6kg calor lite is around £25 these days it only takes the equivalent of using 9 calors and you will have made your money back on the price of the new bottle.

And probably about a 50% or higher residual on the bottle if it is still within test.

And probably about a 50% or higher residual on the bottle if it is still within test.

That's if you can get a Calor lite Trevor! I can't. Local dealers/stores just don't have them so only change like for like.

But in fairness I really object to the prices we are expected to pay and if there was a filling station close to where I live I would without doubt use Safefill. I know the initial cost is high but I am sure I could manage with the one bottle since it starts (or could do) full every trip! A small calor or camping gas spare for emergencies would sort me.

I presume filling abroad is possble and certainly many garages supply LPG gas.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Mark it is so easy, i think safer that filling up with petrol

Flyingtog, yes it is true (as yes not seen proof ) plus you can collect you morrisons miles for free food vouchers http://www. morrisons. ..-with-LPG-fuel/

Ldsundance the answer that you will probleby get is the guidence from uklpg which is dated 2007, but please let me know

Now the safefill bottle came onto the market in febuary this year and was designed to comply with the issues that uklpg had on the guidence dated 2007, so i think its about time uklpg updates the infomation to the end consumer, latest thing that the have been saying is that it unsafe to fill safefill bottles up on a forecourt due to moving vehicles, so i guess filling cars up with petrol and is unsafe too as you can spill petrol, but not lpg when used the safefill way

The problem is that it is gas saftey week this week (12-18th ) and uk lpgs site is giving out uptodate advise aimed at domestic properties and lpg installed into cars and not those that own leisure recreation vehicles,

Now out of the bottles we have personaly sold there has only been one that i know where it couldnt be refilled at a petrol station, this was due to a lady incharge of a forcourt who didnt want as it was unsafe, i think she didnt want to know how safe it is, the guy rang me and i informed him of another location to go to which was 12p/l cheaper, and now pays 69. 9p/l, what a saving

Would anyone like a discount code for free delivery to see how easy and safe it is to use ?? and best of all save money ?

Edited by inthenightgarden

As has been said above it is an expensive outlay but could well pay for itself in time. I assume they fill from a normal LPG nozzle in a filling station, in which case they presumably could be filled elsewhere in Europe. If this is the case it would solve the problems of many longer term travellers having to carry two huge cylinders, or, as I do, a Calor cylinder and a Spanish Repsol cylinder.

If you have issues with getting the nose weight down on your 'van, it may be worth considering one of these.

FT

Maybe not. Here is the comparison:

1. BP 5kg GasLite = 3. 7kg empty = 8. 7kg full

2. Calor 6kg Lite = 4. 52kg empty = 10. 52kg full

3. Gaslow refillable 6kg = 6. 9kg empty = 12. 9kg full

4. Calor 6kg normal = 9kg empty = 15kg full

5. Safefill 8. 6kg = 7. 1kg empty = 15. 7kg full

6. BP 10kg Lite = 6. 7kg empty = 16. 7kg full

Edited by limecc

Maybe not. Here is the comparison:

1. BP 5kg GasLite = 3. 7kg empty = 8. 7kg full

2. Calor 6kg Lite = 4. 52kg empty = 10. 52kg full

3. Gaslow refillable 6kg = 6. 9kg empty = 12. 9kg full

4. Calor 6kg normal = 9kg empty = 15kg full

5. Safefill 8. 6kg = 7. 1kg empty = 15. 7kg full

6. BP 10kg Lite = 6. 7kg empty = 16. 7kg full

With the Safefill you only usually need to carry one bottle as you can chose to set off with a full one at the start of your trip and having the extra 2. 6kg of gas over a Calor this single cylinder will often last the trip out.

My personal experience is that even if you do need more gas you can usually find a filling station with LPG within a reasonable distance to re-fill it.

Being able to see the gas in it means you don't have any trouble seeing when it's running low, making it easy to make sure it doesn't run out when you most need it.

Just a thought, why don't we all club together and when we have say an order for at least 10 ask if they will do a deal? Im still in two minds really but for 100 i could be swayed :)

Ps if safefill read this it would be worth doing this as no better advertising than customers advertising you're product on forum's and word of mouth ;)

Edited by Doinmebest

sorry but £100 is not possible due to the costs of manufacture and testing, after all its a all in one unit, you dont get that with others

For 10 i might do them for £145 inc delivery, but they must be delivered to the same location

sorry but £100 is not possible due to the costs of manufacture and testing, after all its a all in one unit, you dont get that with others

For 10 i might do them for £145 inc delivery, but they must be delivered to the same location

Ok no problem and thanks for the reply :)

I just thought id be cheeky and try to get some at close to trade and help you to advertise for free :)

Once again many thanks and all the best

Hi,

Another alternative is this company, a friend has an installation in his Hymer and you get a greater capacity. You may have buy to other fittings to make it the same as the safefill product, but the difference in the life of the product is minimal. Cylinder is taller if you go for the big one, so bear this in mind. Some may prefer Ali to composite with a protective shell.

http://www. autogasshop. co. uk/alugas-lightweight-refillable-lpg-cylinder-with-gauge-2-hole-26-p. asp

Shingle

Hi,

Another alternative is this company, a friend has an installation in his Hymer and you get a greater capacity. You may have buy to other fittings to make it the same as the safefill product, but the difference in the life of the product is minimal. Cylinder is taller if you go for the big one, so bear this in mind. Some may prefer Ali to composite with a protective shell.

http://www. autogassh. ..2-hole-26-p. asp

Shingle

This is not anywhere near the same thing, it is a fixed installation not a portable cylinder.

You can't just pick up the cylinder and move it to another van/caravan. .... it requires extra fittings and a filler point in your caravan or motor home.

To fill up once on site with a caravan means having to pack down and hitch up. ..... I'm sure you'll agree the last thing that you want to do, just to get more gas.

I can sling my Safefill cylinder in the back or the car, pop in the garage and top it up while on my way out for the day or getting shopping etc.

Edited by Burnt

Hi,

http://www. autogasshop. co. uk/alugas-lightweight-refillable-lpg-cylinder-with-gauge-2-hole-26-p. asp

Shingle

Cheers Shingle looks good ill have a good look later,when i get some time I'll also see if i can find the link to another EU refillable bottle someone in this forum posted. This safefill does look very good,concern i do have is the 10 year issue the suppliers have said that a new certificate may be possible but ?????

Mark it is so easy, i think safer that filling up with petrol

Flyingtog, yes it is true (as yes not seen proof ) plus you can collect you morrisons miles for free food vouchers http://www. morrisons. ..-with-LPG-fuel/

Ldsundance the answer that you will probleby get is the guidence from uklpg which is dated 2007, but please let me know

Now the safefill bottle came onto the market in febuary this year and was designed to comply with the issues that uklpg had on the guidence dated 2007, so i think its about time uklpg updates the infomation to the end consumer, latest thing that the have been saying is that it unsafe to fill safefill bottles up on a forecourt due to moving vehicles, so i guess filling cars up with petrol and is unsafe too as you can spill petrol, but not lpg when used the safefill way

The problem is that it is gas saftey week this week (12-18th ) and uk lpgs site is giving out uptodate advise aimed at domestic properties and lpg installed into cars and not those that own leisure recreation vehicles,

Now out of the bottles we have personaly sold there has only been one that i know where it couldnt be refilled at a petrol station, this was due to a lady incharge of a forcourt who didnt want as it was unsafe, i think she didnt want to know how safe it is, the guy rang me and i informed him of another location to go to which was 12p/l cheaper, and now pays 69. 9p/l, what a saving

Would anyone like a discount code for free delivery to see how easy and safe it is to use ?? and best of all save money ?

Would you send me a discount code please for free delivery and when would I be able to take delivery of one

Edited by Andyvon

I see the refill bottle holds 15 litres does anyone know how many litres a full 6kg calor lite holds?

And will Safefill be at the Nec in October? Love to have a look.

does anyone know how many litres a full 6kg calor lite holds?

About 12 litres.

volume wise safefill 15-16 litres, cylinder weighs empty 7. 2kg 8. 6kg cost for refill £12 at 75. 9p

calor steel is 11-12 litres, weighs empty 8. 6 kg, 6kg rrp cost for refill £19 works out at 1. 58 a litre ,

calor light is 11-12 litres, weighs empty 4. 7kg (most people have 2 ) 6kg rrp cost for refill £23 works out at 1. 91 a litre

Nec - currently no, has been discussed but the cost is to much, not standing the nec,i guess they would prefer empty stands,

Exel spring fair, currently no, cost is double the NEC

but currently attending lincoln motorhome show next weekend, and camping and caravan club goose fair rally the second weekend in oct, we have stock at both