Side Locker Allowing Water In

sprite

I have noticed in the last few months that the side locker, inside which is the battery and EHU socket has some mould growing on the door panel inside. It would seem that the seal when the door is shut is not watertight and so allowing water to seep in.

The caravan is currently in for its service but the dealer told me that Swift would probably not accept as a warranty claim as the Thetford Lockers are only covered for the first year. She did however say that they may be able to replace the door insert without it becoming an issue.

The area is localised to the inside of the locker door so I'm not going nuts about it but it did seem to me a bit of a design flaw as any water running down the side of the van is going to constantly test the seal of the door. I looked at some New caravans at the dealers while I was there and noticed some had a sort of white plastic shield over the top of the locker door. ..so it is a problem which has been recognised.

My question. ...has anyone fitted a plastic shield over the top / top and sides of their Thetford lockers. ..and if so what have you used and how did you do it?

Sprite :unsure:

Edited by sprite

This is always been a problem with lockers that open from the top and drop down . Try searching on here as its been discussed a few times .

Dave

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I have noticed in the last few months that the side locker, inside which is the battery and EHU socket has some mould growing on the door panel inside. It would seem that the seal when the door is shut is not watertight and so allowing water to seep in.

The caravan is currently in for its service but the dealer told me that Swift would probably not accept as a warranty claim as the Thetford Lockers are only covered for the first year. She did however say that they may be able to replace the door insert without it becoming an issue.

The area is localised to the inside of the locker door so I'm not going nuts about it but it did seem to me a bit of a design flaw as any water running down the side of the van is going to constantly test the seal of the door. I looked at some New caravans at the dealers while I was there and noticed some had a sort of white plastic shield over the top of the locker door. ..so it is a problem which has been recognised.

My question. ...has anyone fitted a plastic shield over the top / top and sides of their Thetford lockers. ..and if so what have you used and how did you do it?

Sprite :unsure:

I think that you have two issues here.

Water should not be running off the roof down the side of the van.

Check the gutter, on mine there was a join in the gutter above the locker, excessive mastic here blocked the gutter thereby allowing water to run down the side of the van.

I scraped this out which stopped the water running over the side.

As far as the locker was concerned, I happened to have some self adhesive heavy duty draft excluder strip in black.

I ran this around the inner surface of the locker where the rubber seal mates with the locker body when closed.

Job done :)

Edited by springtime

Thanks for the replies. ...thanks Lefthand Down. ..I thought I'd seen something somewhere. ..that's what I was thinking of.

Springtime. ..thanks for the advice re guttering - I will check that when I get it back but todays rain has given me an opportunity to look where the van is normaly parked at the side of the house. ..there is a fault with the house guttering which drips water onto the side of the van so I will look at that too. :rolleyes: