Any Recommendations For Towing Mirrors

Hi evryone,

I'm a newbie and got a set of mirrors for my first trip but they vibrated badly so I could hardly see anything in them.

Has anyone got any good suggestions for a make / model that would reduce the vibration.

My cars an XC60 if that helps.

Cheers

I have no problems with my Milenco Aero,

I do see lots of stick-on or rubber banded

mirrors on the roadside of the motorways

Edited by gumdrop

Having tried many types and makes over many years of caravaning, I have found that the Milenco Grand Aero (with extension arms) provide a superbly steady and clear view, There is a choice of either plane (flat) glass or concave - I opted for the flat, as they give a better perspective on distance.

My Son-in-Law tried some mirrors that had suction cups that adhere to the glass of the existing car mirrors, thus giving the facility to adjust the mirrors on both sides of the car from the driver's seat. The idea is great, but in practice the towing mirrors vibrated to such an extent that the view through them was virtually useless. The other disadvantage was that the large sucker on the car mirror obscured it to an extent that made it useless as an additional mirror whilst towing. He finally discarded them when the small plastic gears that move the car mirror broke, due to the additional rotational force from the towing mirror when traveling at 60 m. p. h. trying to move the glass on the car mirror. (The plastic gears are only designed to move one small piece of glass that is protected from the slipstream, not an additional un-shielded mirror.)

Others may have their own preferences, but the ultimate choice if obviously yours.

Regards,

David

Milenco Grand Aeros are my choice, although I have used Rock Steady's which were good too!!

Milenco Grand Areos for me . :) Mirrors come in 3 types (flat or curved) . Also I find once set its just a case of unclamping them and putting them away and next time just clamping them on they dont need adjusting .

I used to use the suckit and see type but found they vibarate to much .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Am I missing something here Dave - or was it too much 'falling down water' last night?! :P

Regards,

David

Nope they come in Flat or Curved (Convex or Concave) wouldn't dare to comment on how much falling down water he had I know I had a few :rolleyes:

Edited by dave11a

Am I missing something here Dave - or was it too much 'falling down water' last night?! :P

Regards,

David

They come in 2 types of mirror flat or curved ( which is a choice then of convex or concave ) = 3 types

I use Milenco Aeros (not the Grand Aeros) and they give a good rear view. I prefer to use the wing mirrors on the car to get a downward view of the van's wheels, especially when turning the rig - so I wouldn't use stick on types.

I get some vibration, but only on one mirror, so I guess a towing mirror is only as good as the wing mirror's mounting.

Jimbo

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback and we seem to have a concensous that the Milenco Aeros are the best.

Without the advise you've only got the box to look at and I've already made one newbie mistake.

I'll get the flat set as I'm never sure of the convex type and then hopefully on my next trip I'll be able to see behind me.

Again thank you everyone for taking the time to help me.

Roger

I got some cheapo halfords ones that vibrated at first but then I shortened the rubber ties down so they fit really tightly and they are fine now.

I would not get any that stuck on the existing glass. Seems a really bad idea to me somehow.

They come in 2 types of mirror flat or curved ( which is a choice then of convex or concave ) = 3 types

Thanks for that Dave - Never too old to learn. I have only seen the flat and convex types in accessory shops, but it's nice to know that they exist. Thanks.

Regards,

David

Edited by Dorchester

Nope they come in Flat or Curved (Convex or Concave) wouldn't dare to comment on how much falling down water he had I know I had a few :rolleyes:

Concave mirrors! I think - along with wavy ones - they are around in fairgrounds!

Incidently I bought two flat initially and then having used them decided I needed a convex to broaden the view on my off-side in UK and near-side abroad. Mmmm That put the price up another £20 but I do now have a spare!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Grand Aero's for me also.

No vibration at all but there again my car mirrors are robust too start with and in the case of attaching a pair of Grand Aero's, they really need to be.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Milenco Aeros for me, tried a couple of cheaper mirrors and as above, they just vibrated so much they were useless.

The only thing with the Aeros is I can't adjust my car mirrors down as the glass is very close to the mirror housing and the Aeros clamp stops the glass moving, so I have to use the Aeros over the car mirrors which isn't really a problem.

Edited by Tom85

Having tried many types and makes over many years of caravaning, I have found that the Milenco Grand Aero (with extension arms) provide a superbly steady and clear view . ..

Ditto

What no one has suggested is Volvo's own mirrors. Ok these may be more expensive, but they will certainly fit. I say this after doing what has been suggested, and finally buying genuine BMW for my car, which is what I should have done in the first place, as they are excellent and don't suffer the problems described. I am almost certain the BMW ones are made by EMUK, and they are very good quality

I don't think Volvo have their own mirrors, on the Volvo owners forum they all recommend either the Aeros or Grand Aeros, for the xc60,( not the convex ones though). The mirrors can still fold against the car with them fitted. Sorry I can't do a link, hope this helps.

Nicky

Edited by NickyC

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Reich remote control mirrors. No vibration and can be adjusted accurately

from drivers seat

Can you tell me how you get on with the Reich mirrors please? Any vibration problems at all?

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advise on the Reich's, they look a serious bit of kit but I've already bought the Milenco Aeros.

I tried them for the first time last weekend and they were excellent. When at 60mph they had a very slight vibration but unlike my other mirrors I could make out other road traffic whereas previously I couln't even make out where the road was.

Thanks to everyone for your advise