We Just Happened To Be There . . .

ChrisG46

Not the easiest of locations to do a typical RNLI launch, big slide into the water with lots of bow wave and showy acceleration . It may have taken around four minutes from doors opening to getting under way but if you are in difficulties in their area even this apparently slow launch would be welcome .

I think there were training aspects being undertaken, too, which would make the "real thing" quicker and more efficient. But I found it pretty fascinating to watch - not as dramatic as a steep beach like Aldeburgh in Suffolk, but a real challenge for the coxswain, crew and tractor driver - now there's an unsung hero.

I think there's a bit of a difference in expectation between land-based and sea-based rescue services. If someone is badly injured in a car-crash time can be vital, but if a ship/yacht is in trouble, say sinking, the process takes some time and competent seafarers usually have some form of immediate survival gear to hand (liferafts, etc). Individuals aboard vessels who have serious personal injuries are more often rescued by chopper, anyway.

Most RNLI all-weather lifeboats have a max speed of maybe 17 knots, and really bad weather means they may have to reduce this anyway, so a individuals aboard vessel in trouble say 15 miles away are going to have to survive for an hour - so a few minutes more or less is often not a major issue.

And lets not forget that they are all volunteers. ..I find it bizarre that the government has not over the years taken on the funding of this vital emergency service. .relies on the goodwill of volunteers and public contributions to keep going. (just my gripe!)

Nice video, Chris. ...where you headed next?

May be this shows a little more of what happens on a nice day! May be a little bit dated but the weather of late as been nearly the same

In my younger day's used to be Based at RAF Machrihanish and had a wee flat in Campbeltown. Dont know if they still do it but the Harbour Master used to fire a Pontoon that could be heard for miles to alert the Life Boat Crew. (Pre- Pager days ). I was told ( remembering I was a young chap at the time) that if they did not get the full crew they would take volunteers from the Harbour. So there I was after hearing the Pontoon going off at about 3 in the morning in a wet, blustery very cold Winters night standing at the Harbour Side hoping that they would be a man short not realising firstly it was a load of nonsence, not the Policy plus the Life Boat Crews have been manned from father to son for many many years and would never dream of missing a Shout !!! What an excuse for missing Roll Call in t he Fire Station. " Why are you late Young Smith ?", "Cos a was away in the Life Boat Sarge "........

GRUMPY AULD SMEESH. .......... :angry:

Ace Jubilee Statesman . ..Jaguar SType2. 7d SE Auto Sport. ..

And lets not forget that they are all volunteers. ..I find it bizarre that the government has not over the years taken on the funding of this vital emergency service. .relies on the goodwill of volunteers and public contributions to keep going. (just my gripe!) Nice video, Chris. ...where you headed next?

It cost the RNLI £400,000 a DAY to operate . Thats why they need donations to keep going . A boat like in video is about £3 million to buy .

One way people can help if they want a few days away in the summer is the RNLI rent out rooms at their new training college at their headquarters which over looks Poole harbour which also has a restraunt and bar over looking the harbour .

Dave

Great video Chris - a job in TV beckons perhaps!

Love it, Rod - spent the last 4½ years producing and presenting The Caravan Channel, UK Boating, Goodbye 9 to 5 on Sky 166!

I do have a new broadcast venture that's running up online now at: http://www. retiredlife. tv/

Rolling off towards Winchcombe C & C Club site tomorrow . .

I heard that the RNLI turned down Government funding because they felt that they needed to be autonomous, and accepting Government cash means accepting Government interference. I don't know if that is true or not.

As to the video, I remember as a youngster staying at Primrose Valley. We used to walk along the beach to Filey, which had a similar launching system for their Lifeboat. I used to love watching them launch the boat.

May be this shows a little more of what happens on a nice day! May be a little bit dated but the weather of late as been nearly the same

I have to say that was not the best launch I have seen.

It is basic seamanship that you never, never, never allow a boat to take a rolling sea on anything but bow on.

The tides could have quite easily had the boat back up on the beach.

I have to say that was not the best launch I have seen.

It is basic seamanship that you never, never, never allow a boat to take a rolling sea on anything but bow on.

The tides could have quite easily had the boat back up on the beach.

I thought it was going to come back on the beach. In the video you see the guys on the beach making a run for it and telling the tractor to get out the way. So they must have been a bit worried as well :o

I think for the Aldeburgh launch, the launch didn't happen far enough out - the coxswain didn't have enough solid water around the props to get enough thrust to get the bow round.

The shore crew were hustling up the beach to get the recovery kit, and the tractor probably needed to move the trailer out of the way, so that it could use its winch to haul the boat out if necessary.

I think the coxswain did an amazing job, but I bet there was a major inquest later.

Archived