Can Anyone Advise Please - Freeview + Tv In Caravan

Hi - I am new to the forums and my hubby and I have got our first caravan earlier this year. :)

We are having a small problem as we have bought a small lcd tv that can run off a 12v supply - but we need a freeview decoder.

The tv has only the following sockets:

Serial port (Blue)

usb socket.

As all the freeview boxes I have seen have scart sockets and the only cable that I have seen that can convert scart to serial is about £60, I bought a freeview dongle to try - but of course it doesn't work as it relies on a computer to run the necessary software.

Has anyone got any suggestions - (apart sell the tv and get one with all included! )

Thanks in advance

Jo

Hi Jo, and welcome to the forum.

It is unfortunately not simply a matter of getting an adaptor lead, as SCART sockets handle analogue signals, whereas USB sockets handle digital signals. You will therefore require an A/D converter unit that accepts a SCART input and has a USB output, and, as you have discovered, there are not inexpensive! I think that you may well have answered your question in the penultimate line of your post, but good luck anyway!

Regards,

David

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Hi Jo, and welcome to the forum.

It is unfortunately not simply a matter of getting an adaptor lead, as SCART sockets handle analogue signals, whereas USB sockets handle digital signals. You will therefore require an A/D converter unit that accepts a SCART input and has a USB output, and, as you have discovered, there are not inexpensive! I think that you may well have answered your question in the penultimate line of your post, but good luck anyway!

Regards,

David

A scart socket will handle digital. Most cheap Freeview boxes use a scart to scart connection.

It sounds as though you have a computer monitor rather than a tv. Not much help but TVs have had scart sockets for years even cheap ones.

Hi - I am new to the forums and my hubby and I have got our first caravan earlier this year. :)

We are having a small problem as we have bought a small lcd tv that can run off a 12v supply - but we need a freeview decoder.

Jo

If it is a new TV it will be digital (freeview). It seems it is a monitor for a PC.

I would agree, a blue "serial" socket under PC99 spec is a VGA port so this is a PC monitor not a TV, the socket would have 3 rows of pins not the 2 of a serial port. I wonder if the "USB" port might actually be a Displayport input, a form of DVI port and would have a symbol next to it similar to a "D" with a dot in the middle. Unlike the USB rectangle Displayport has a corner cut off.

570px-DisplayPort_Connector.svg.png

About the only mainline PC manufacturer that has gone for Displayport to any great extent has been HP although there are some others around as have some graphics card manufacturers.

For it to be a downstream USB port it would have to be the square end not the rectangle, the other option might be that is is designed to be a digital picture frame so you can plug in a USB stick with . jpeg photos on it when not using it as a monitor

Although they can both have RGB signals the SCART specifications to not always plug straight in to a VGA port so you may need much more that just a cable such as this http://www. amazon. co. uk/SCART-VGA-LEAD-PIN-Description/dp/B001GUJBQ2/ref=dp_cp_ob_computers_title_1, read the warnings further down. From my own experience they seldom work but for the price it may be worth a try.

If it hasnt got an RF input then is definitely a monitor. Even though the old Tv siganal is almost extint, even the newest Tvs rely on an RF input from the ariel for a the new digital signal.

nigel

Edited by nigel129

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,