Which Dongle ?

jan69c

I have given in to pressure from the kids and Wendy. I have agreed to get a dongle for our trips abroad. I have a 3 dongle but it only works here, so I want a PAYG dongle for foreign use can anyone tell me which is best ?

Sorry I cant answer your question but might be able to help with what I assume is the underlying need.

I would advise a rethink as "data" via mobile abroad is an expensive route to get internet.

As most campsites now have WiFi, some only centred around reception and many are free, then connecting to the internet that way is IMO the best route.

I use an Alfa networks high gain adaptor which helps greatly in weaker signal areas getting a viable signal at the van/pitch .

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Alfa-AWUS036H-802-11b-Wireless-network/dp/B002WCEWU8/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_1_1

I'd agree - we managed perfectly well with WiFi from either the campsite or when out and about from all the places which advertise 'Free WiFi zone' - including McDonalds! Often brasseries, cafes and restaurants provide WiFi so you really shouldn't have any problems. There's also a website offering information about 'hotspots' which I thought I had a link to, but can't find.

Hi

There are some solutions. ....

For general travelling and a LIMITED amount of browsing, I use an unlocked Huawei E220 dongle with a Vodafone Ireland SIM card in it. Firstly, the unlocked dongle - this means the dongle was bought as part of a package with a contract provider, but then unlocked to accept any SIM card. The E220 is an old model but it is on a lead and so I can dangle my dongle :D out f the window. The Irish Vodafone SIM card costs 2. 99 euro per day on pay as you go but only for 50MB browsing. It is ok for email, banking etc and occasional use. It works in any country at that rate.

The other option - get a local SIM card/dongle in the country you are visiting. So, a fortnight in Italy for instance, buy an Italian dongle for about 50 euro with enough credit to keep everyone happy. Sell it on your return or keep for next year, noting that Italian SIM cards expire if not used within 12 months.

Third option WiFi - use a booster to pick up signals - see here from my blog for these

Have a read of these pages from my blog - it should help you a lot.

Option 4 - Vodafone UK - see the blog page for the UK Vodafone deal!

Russell

Edited by Kontiki

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

I used Orange dongle but it is an inflexible company to

be stuck with (although in the uk the coverage was good).

A 2mtr. USB to USB was often needed though to get the

best signal. There is a router that takes the sim card and

boosts performance

I have given in to pressure from the kids and Wendy. I have agreed to get a dongle for our trips abroad. I have a 3 dongle but it only works here, so I want a PAYG dongle for foreign use can anyone tell me which is best ?

If you are referring to France or Germany it is very difficult to buy a dongle and/or simcard for the local service providers as a residential address and bank account is needed so is it worth the hassle? Unless anyone knows different????

Stick to wi-fi which is widespread. French supermarket restaurants, motorway service areas, McD, Quick, etc. etc. Many campsites now provide wi-fi - some free - some charge.

Thank you for the input, I will go down the wifi route. And best of all, if it isn't free, I can limit the usage which means the family can do more things together. After all thats why we hoilday together.

• 6 months later...

I know I am thick, but I don't know anything about dongles,I had a laptop for Christmas and want to take away with me so here goes, if I am in this country and I want a dongle pay as you go to use in this country what do you recommend, We go to Italy for 7 weeks in the summer and I would like to use it for keeping in touch and banking, I would use the wifi at the site's, do I also have to have anything to connect to the wifi or just turn on my laptop. waiting in anticipation for words of wisdom, thank you .

Carol.

I use a 3 dongle in the country, but I haven't yet solved the problem of cheap use abroad. I use site wifi. Wifi is a different system from the mobile frequencies used by dongles, so you need to work out if your laptop has wifi built in. If it doesn't (and if it is less than 5 years old it almost certainly will) you'll need a second dongle for wifi.

I know I am thick, but I don't know anything about dongles,I had a laptop for Christmas and want to take away with me so here goes, if I am in this country and I want a dongle pay as you go to use in this country what do you recommend, We go to Italy for 7 weeks in the summer and I would like to use it for keeping in touch and banking, I would use the wifi at the site's, do I also have to have anything to connect to the wifi or just turn on my laptop. waiting in anticipation for words of wisdom, thank you .

Carol.

hi carol

you wont need anything else to use wifi at the site, all you do is coonect to it the same as you did first time you connected it at home :)

carol,

if the wifi is 'unsecured' it will be as said simple to get on, you just check using the computer what wifi signals are available and select the unsecured one. However the site could well have a secured wifi, then you will need to get the 'code' from the campsites site's operator and follow the on computer requests for it.

It would be best to familiaris yourself with getting onto other wifi signals here in the UK first; you could try in many coffee shops, Mc Ds or friends and neighbours.

Just a word of caution; you mention 'banking', I would strongly advise you don't do much banking activity on unsecured sites or secured ones open to a wide audience.

Don't know if this will help or not. I am in Australia at the moment for 9 weeks, I have an unlocked smart phone which I use on the O2 network in the UK, but out here I have purchased a sim card from Vodafon which allows me to use the internet to make calls and send texts. I get 500Mb of data in the package for $30 AUD approx £20, this lasts for 1 month I am now in my second month and it has worked well. I am sure you could get similar where you are going and it would be secure as well. All you need is the unlocked smart phone and a sim card for the country. The phone is used as a modem for a notebook or laptop. Hope this is of use.

Thombo

Carol.

Hi Carol,

We use T-Mobile and O2 for pay as you go dongles, as with them they charge by the day or week whichever suits you best, haven't been on a site with wi-fi yet, but for what we use the net whilst away it does for us.

Hope this helps you out :D

Hi All,

Just to throw another option into the mix:

Have a look at MiFi products.

These little beasties have a mobile broadband "dongle" (modem) built in taking a USIM card (3G type) as used in all 3G mobile phones (not the MicroSIM used in iPhone4, but can be used with an adaptor) plus a WiFi router that allows you to connect up to 5 devices at the same time.

These units are self contained and about the size of small mobile phone (see photo).

Place the unit in the best phone signal location in your mobile abode, I generally place mine high up on the roof light and then you use your laptop / iPad / whatever - wifi facility to connect to the MiFi.

There you have mobile broadband from which ever network you choose and share it with more than one user at t he same time.

Any questions you may have as I have 2 of these units on the go at the moment - (long story!!) please ask away.

Regards,

KevinK

post-33217-0-90991300-1333463383_thumb.jpg

Edited by KevinK