Preparation For Winter

rinty

With Winter fast approaching I wondered what preparation I should do regarding draining water from the caravan. Its probably been covered before but want to ensure with a winter that forecast to be even worse than last year, that I have got all of the water out of the pipes. Caravan is a bailey Paheant S7.

Hi Chris,

Considering we had a really bad winter last year, at one point the snow was up to the wheels on our van.

All I did last year was drain the van down and left all the taps open and ran the pump for a few seconds to try to get most of the water out of it.

If you open the toilet cassette door and look at the top just inside you will see a plastic flexible pipe with a plug in the end of it. This is for draining the flush tank, even after running the pump dry you still get a bit of water from this drain.

We also stand up all the cushions and leave all the locker doors open to keep the van well ventilated. No problems so far (touch wood!!).

B.

PS Don't leave any liquids in the van they may also freeze and the container will burst and make a right mess.

It is possible to add antifreeze into the flush tank but it must be safe for plastics and rubber.

A device to use air pressure to push the remaining water from the system is available but it costs a bit to buy.

Forum Member Bailey Oklahoma (Bo Pete) used a vacuum cleaner I think to remove all the last drops.

A search under the seats and beds of the pipe runs may find bits where the pipe is raised and forms a trap and may be worth checking.

A flow of air around the van is important to prevent condensation. It will form on any cold glass bottle left in a cupboard.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Bit dangerous using a vacuum cleaner to suck water (found this out when I was a kid) unless its one designed to suck water.

If most of the water is removed and the valves, taps left open any water trapped will freeze and expand along the pipe and shouldn't do any damage, its only if its trapped and cannot expand anywhere that the pipes Will burst

Hi I drained mine on Tuesday as I shan't be going away again until December.

Opened toilet access door outside and took out flush tank drain bung.

Opened drain tank on hot water tank

No onboard cold tank

Underneath the caravan pulled out the bung from hot water supply pipe and from cold water. Let them run for 10 mins and then went into the 'van. Opened the hot tap at kitchen sink and blew down mixer spout until the water stopped running outside - same for cold. In the washroom the tap controls a shower head which pulls out and can be used as a shower head. Took head off, opened hot tap and blew down shower tube and then same for cold until it stopped flowing.

The ideal preparation for winter would be to empty the van, give it a good clean, restock it and book the ferry to Spain. If only. ..........

Depressing this, it's not even Autumn until next Tuesday, never mind Winter!

Just keep using it, it's insulated, it's got heating :D

Depressing this, it's not even Autumn until next Tuesday, never mind Winter!

Just keep using it, it's insulated, it's got heating :D

Whilst I agree that technically we are still in the Summer season, I suggest that CT contributors should not be encouraged to use their caravans throughout the year. It's only going to lead to the available sites being booked up, especially at weekend :D and more SITES FULL topics on the CT forum. :unsure:

Whilst I agree that technically we are still in the Summer season, I suggest that CT contributors should not be encouraged to use their caravans throughout the year. It's only going to lead to the available sites being booked up, especially at weekend :D and more SITES FULL topics on the CT forum. :unsure:

I rally so I don't get those problems. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived