Bailey Quality

jonbev

is it just me, but looking at the latest vans in the showroom bailey seemed to have finally got their act together quality wise ?

The standard of finish does seem better and things like locker doors seem lined up better and open and close and lock better than before.

looked in the new pegasus and unicorn models the other day and couldnt really find fault with any of them. even the mastic issue seems to be sorted.

I totally agree. We have had our Unicorn Valencia now for one month and the quality of it is far better than the Series 5 Senator we had before.

It feels far more solid and all the doors and drawers line up far better than on our old van.

We are more than happy with it.

I'd second that. Last year when looking at the various models at the dealers we were not taken with the new Bailey's on offer. ..nor for that matter were we particularly taken with the new offerings from Swift, preferring our 2008 Abbey to what was on offer!

However, last Thursday when dropping our beloved Abbey off for her service, we had a look round and have to say we were very impressed with The Pegasus Ancona. If we were in a position to change at the moment this would be at the top of my list!

As above - we only started vanning last September witha swift charisma - a great starter van but we had numerous minor niggles that meant regular trips to the dealer. We tooling to vanning so much that we saw a new unicorn Madrid and just fell in love.

Build quality ? Knocks the swift and many other for six. We are currently up in the west highlands overlooking the Atlantic, beach only 20 ft away, cold but the van is performing superbly.

Heating a revelation, not one thing has gone wrong or fallen off on the ridiculously bumpy roads. Brilliant.

When I wash this van I don't get one gash on my hands unlike the swift that was covered in sharp edges, stupid amounts of sealant (over 1" thick in places on the roof).

Awesome.

they have come on in leaps and bounds over the last 6 months . ..if only id waited another 18 months before buying one. ..oh well, hindsight blah blah

We are about to take delivery of the Bailey Unicorn Madrid, been round it with fine tooth comb and must admit we found it excellent, just one minor problem no external TV, Sat point which is dissapointing, having to have one installed at extra cost.

NigelH

i would say certainly in the last 9mths the build quality has vastly improved. i think before then most of their efforts were in the devlopment of the alu-tech and getting all their portfolio on to alu-tech, which is working very well. now that they are happy they have gt that part right they can concenrate more on what goes on inside once again.

I must say that I gave a Unicorn the once over at Reads last week, I think they have come on in leaps and bounds but when I pulled back the backrest cushions, I was not impressed to see screws not put in right where the anti condensation panels were fitted, I also never liked the way that cupboards/partions were screwed into the floor not too well, but on the whole I would prefer to do those niggling bits myself rather than leave it to Bailey to do right first time. It's my opinion that Bailey leave too much for the Dealers to do on P. D. I. It took me 6 months to get my 2002 Imperial up to my standard. Peter :rolleyes:

Edited by peterjohn

No different to any other van manufacturer from what I can see - the manufacturers pdi leaving the factory is laughable - what you need is a good dealer who sorts the niggles prior to you seeing them !

Nidge4 - welcome to the Madrid club ! Brilliant van. In fact sat in ours as I type this !

Don't pay someone - in the battery box there is a blanked off hole above the grommets where the battery leads come through. Just cut that out and use the 4 holes already in place. You just need to route the cable internally then. Job done.

Recently changed a 2004 Bailey Senator Arizona for a new Unicorn Barcelona and quality is not as good, no massive difference, but i just have it in my head that it will not age as well, allready (5 months old) things are suprisingly starting to feel weak, namely bed slat uprights, the bit thats at your heels while seated. Blinds are a curse as only one (Window at fixed bed) works freely, the rest take alot of playing with to be fully opened! Although my love for the van way outdoes the niggly problems!

I thought when purchasing a top line van at a top line price, quality came with it but clearly profit margins still come first! As with cars (My 9-5) accountants are building caravans not engineers!

Not sure it's accountants - I think the caravan industry now is where the car industry was 20 years ago.

Look at the reliability of modern cars in comparison to their complexity - how many do you see over heating on the side of the motorway these days.

They'll catch up eventually but need a damn good look at their in house quality controls that's for sure. How much of the cost of a van is set aside for warranty repairs I shudder to think.

I have had 2 baileys . A pageant in the early 80s a super van much missed . Then the worst van i have ever owned an olympus . Everything that could go wrong did, or so it seemed . 11 trips back for rectification ! Problems with electrics - mains arcing . . Leaks form the plumbing too numerous to mention . Upholstery coming away. Cabinet work moving away from the walls. Body creaking even when pitched as you walked about. A door that did not fit the aperture in the wall. The final straw was staining of the internal walls from moisture from above, apparently condensation from voids in the roof skin . . I was at the end of my tether. I eventually got a solicitor involved and a refund was obtained. I see others on here are having similar faults so keep am eye out if things get worse. I replaced it with a coachman and i cant describe the difference in the way its made . Chalk and cheese spring to mind. Bailey build quality ? What build quality ! If you have a good one you have been fortunate. Jt

Coachman Pastiche

as i said, the vans from bailey ive seen over the last 6 months are streets ahead of the dross they produced in the first 6-12 months of alutech.

as i said, the vans from bailey ive seen over the last 6 months are streets ahead of the dross they produced in the first 6-12 months of alutech.

Well you say that, but I see no evidence to support that, there are lots of very recent posts relating to some of the same faults on current models. In 40 years I have never had a van so fundamentaly poor from the outset and just wonder how durable they are going to be in the future. There are loads secondhand available and if thats not an indicator of peoples dissatisfaction I dont know what is. On paper AluTech looks like the answer but in reality they are the most complained about range of vans. Traditional construction methods are fully understood and the methods to repair them are widely available. In my experience of them they are not as strong as all the hype would have you believe as creaking bodies and creases in side walls is extremely alarming if its yours its happening to.

Jt

Coachman Pastiche

Well you say that, but I see no evidence to support that, there are lots of very recent posts relating to some of the same faults on current models. In 40 years I have never had a van so fundamentaly poor from the outset and just wonder how durable they are going to be in the future. There are loads secondhand available and if thats not an indicator of peoples dissatisfaction I dont know what is. On paper AluTech looks like the answer but in reality they are the most complained about range of vans. Traditional construction methods are fully understood and the methods to repair them are widely available. In my experience of them they are not as strong as all the hype would have you believe as creaking bodies and creases in side walls is extremely alarming if its yours its happening to.

Jt

well as an alutech owner from day 1 and comparing ours to the latest batch i for one can see a huge improvement. ..which is the point im trying to put across.

we`ve had problems, massive problems so no way am i pro - bailey but they have got their act together at long last

While we like our Valencia, i don't consider it to be an improvement over our previous Vermont a 2004 model.

Around 30 faults so far, most being minor, no different to our old caravan, which did give the feeling off being better built.

We had the Valencia kitchen tap replaced, due to a constant drip from it, the spout squeaks when you move it, although silicon stops that but only for a week.

Meanwhile the spout is so tight trying to turn it moves all the tap on its base.

So thats the same fault on two different taps.

Problems with our 2004 Vermont taps = zero, over 7 years use.

The Valencia drawers adjacent the door were tilting out at the top on both, now adjusted and looks ok.

Both Valencia wardrobe doors warped replaced, both replacements are both marked, and one is now warped more that the original, and thats only after a weeks use.

Two more doors on order again, but i honestly am not holding out any hope that they will arrive undamaged.

Leaking front center window adjusted and so far hasn't leaked again, but then we haven't had the same sort of heavy downpour since, to test it.

The original microwave would trip site bollards on start up, new microwave fitted, and so far no trips, but we need to test it again on the next site we will go to, were it was the most problematic.

I still don't like the interior walls, finished in some sort of GRP, much prefer walls of old, with paper finnish.

However the LED lighting is brilliant, if only the corner front lights were still mains fittings, then it would score a easy 100%.

I also have a mysterious squeak while towing, so far i cant locate it, but suspect its a suspension noise, it was quite audible arriving on site, even after the stabilizer was lifted prior to pitching.

Still as i said earlier we still love the caravan, but no they not perfect, not even close.

Edited by xtrailman

well as an alutech owner from day 1 and comparing ours to the latest batch i for one can see a huge improvement. ..which is the point im trying to put across.

we`ve had problems, massive problems so no way am i pro - bailey but they have got their act together at long last

Jon - I think you are probably right - there has been a massive imporovement post the initial Alutec releases. I see many contented unicorn owners on this forum and on site and the later versions of the other ranges - by far the majority being very happy. I certainly don't see "lots of reports" of the kind of problems listed by the previous poster - yes one or two where there is evidence of a serious fault. We had an early Unicorn and have only had a few minor niggles - nothing that has prevented us from using the caravan. We are very pleased with the Valencia, although the Pageant S6 we previously had was 100% faultless!

What I am dissatisfied with is Bailey's approach when you have a major concern / problem (although for all I know manufacturers all the same) - we had a concern about the the nose weight of the valencia which was significantly above the Miro figures they had previously stated before we placed our order, and whilst the dealer (to THEIR credit) offerred a refund, Bailey were unresponsive and very sad to say it but refused to acknowledge there was a problem even after the caravan was weighed by them at the factory. Thankfully with the help of the dealer we were able to relocate the mover and with sensible loading I am fine.

So I am very happy with the caravan and Bailey are great at responding to the small things via their help desk - but when you look to have serious complaint you are seriously left to rot out in the cold by Bailey. And I'm not sure THAT has changed - which is a concern.

Bailey Unicorn S3 Cartagena, Volvo XC60 D5.

The battery is located further back on the latest Valencias, so nose weight shouldn't be a problem, assuming your car has a 90kg nose limit.

I usually like to tow with 90/95kg with the xtrail/Valencia.

By the way the very first Valencias were the ones without problems, which is why i bought one, well one of the reasons.

But unfortunately the build quality took a dive when i bought mine, mine was also identified as one of the at risk "batch" of Valencias with falling off wheels.

Maybe I've been unlucky, but then i was also unlucky with a new swift, a new Avondale, and two Baileys.

All had a long list of faults, the Avondale had the least, a mere 15 problems.

Madrunner have seen what you are talking about in the Battery box but need that for the mover, tried to come through the side but theirs a peice of wood in the way, the best solution for us is to come through the 230v compartment and feed up at the back of the clock and along the trucking, thats what the dealer intends to do. l still think the battery box is the best option as its the easy away of running the cable to the front of the vans socket and locate one where plug points are on the off side cupboard behind the side dinette. Glad you are sat in your Madrid, we have had to move our Autumn holidays from mid october to the first week of November due to Baileys moving our build date from the 3rd of October to the 17th, get this due to the NEC show. What that has to do with a production run beggers belief, think the dealers spinning me a yarn but can't prove it, placed the order on the 3rd of September heres hoping theirs no more delays. l suppose we could go in the Clubman but don't want to chance any accidents, its just our look something would happen.

Nidge4

While we like our Valencia, i don't consider it to be an improvement over our previous Vermont a 2004 model.

Around 30 faults so far, most being minor, no different to our old caravan, which did give the feeling off being better built.

We had the Valencia kitchen tap replaced, due to a constant drip from it, the spout squeaks when you move it, although silicon stops that but only for a week.

Meanwhile the spout is so tight trying to turn it moves all the tap on its base.

So thats the same fault on two different taps.

Problems with our 2004 Vermont taps = zero, over 7 years use.

The Valencia drawers adjacent the door were tilting out at the top on both, now adjusted and looks ok.

Both Valencia wardrobe doors warped replaced, both replacements are both marked, and one is now warped more that the original, and thats only after a weeks use.

Two more doors on order again, but i honestly am not holding out any hope that they will arrive undamaged.

Leaking front center window adjusted and so far hasn't leaked again, but then we haven't had the same sort of heavy downpour since, to test it.

The original microwave would trip site bollards on start up, new microwave fitted, and so far no trips, but we need to test it again on the next site we will go to, were it was the most problematic.

I still don't like the interior walls, finished in some sort of GRP, much prefer walls of old, with paper finnish.

However the LED lighting is brilliant, if only the corner front lights were still mains fittings, then it would score a easy 100%.

I also have a mysterious squeak while towing, so far i cant locate it, but suspect its a suspension noise, it was quite audible arriving on site, even after the stabilizer was lifted prior to pitching.

Still as i said earlier we still love the caravan, but no they not perfect, not even close.

just a point, if you didnt like the white grp walls why did you buy the van ?

its not as if its a minor issue that you would only notice now and again, its something that hits you in the face each time your in the van.

hardly a Bailey quality issue really :wacko:

onto the noseweight, noted that the verona now has the battery box even further back than the peg 534 ( already behind the axle) not a massive fan of lumping all the heavy stuff to the rearmost of the van tbh . it is possible to get the noseweight down to 75-80kg with careful packing.

just a point, if you didnt like the white grp walls why did you buy the van ?

its not as if its a minor issue that you would only notice now and again, its something that hits you in the face each time your in the van.

hardly a Bailey quality issue really :wacko:

onto the noseweight, noted that the verona now has the battery box even further back than the peg 534 ( already behind the axle) not a massive fan of lumping all the heavy stuff to the rearmost of the van tbh . it is possible to get the noseweight down to 75-80kg with careful packing.

I would never buy the original peg, for me there was too much "white wall", which gave a very cold felling to the interior, (just my opinion please don't take offense).

While unicorn, and peg2 cleverly cover much more of the walls.

But i was convinced that ALUtech was the way to go, the number of cracked panels, my 2004 Vermont included, was enough to put me off "old build".

As you know buying a caravan is always a compromise, you never get everything you want, you can only buy whats available.

The Valencia brought smiles to both our faces, no other caravan did that, so we bought one.

We would have bought a Verona, but no ALDE heating, just the usual ducted air hose under the door OUTSIDE. Had enough of that with the Vermont.

Hi Nidge4 - oh gotcha, you could just pop a hole under the mains hook up cable/plug where the 4 pre drilled holes are located I guess.

Bet you cannot wait to get the new toy ?

We are in the second week of our 2 1/2 week jaunt around Scotland and the van has been nothing short of superb. Wasn't rattled by the remains of hurricaine katia in fort william, towed effortlessly over some very bumpy and twisty roads, warmer than a sauna (when the wife sets the temp), shower brilliant, more storage space than tescos distribution centre.

Actually sat in the awning tonight after baked spuddies, heater on with an ice cold beer. Does it get any better ?

Let me know when you collect the Madrid and how you get on with it?

Cheers Dave

I would never buy the original peg, for me there was too much "white wall", which gave a very cold felling to the interior, (just my opinion please don't take offense).

While unicorn, and peg2 cleverly cover much more of the walls.

But i was convinced that ALUtech was the way to go, the number of cracked panels, my 2004 Vermont included, was enough to put me off "old build".

As you know buying a caravan is always a compromise, you never get everything you want, you can only buy whats available.

The Valencia brought smiles to both our faces, no other caravan did that, so we bought one.

We would have bought a Verona, but no ALDE heating, just the usual ducted air hose under the door OUTSIDE. Had enough of that with the Vermont.

not offended it all, people like different things with different vans . so easy to wipe down and keep clean and once your bits n bobs, scatter cushions and bedding is down it looks as warm and inviting as any other van. the general appearance of the verona is better than the original pegasus, but, the price is up a grand and the equipment level is lower . ...no pull out front lounge bed bases ???

not offended it all, people like different things with different vans . so easy to wipe down and keep clean and once your bits n bobs, scatter cushions and bedding is down it looks as warm and inviting as any other van. the general appearance of the verona is better than the original pegasus, but, the price is up a grand and the equipment level is lower . ...no pull out front lounge bed bases ???

The pull out bed bases, totally useless in my opinion.

Getting to the water drain or change over valve is now a major exercise, while the Verona, like our old senator has a drop down door, (i think).

To date i haven't found any use for them, maybe if we ever set the front bed up we may change our minds.

The peg 2, is easily as good as any old senator, but the unicorn is actually in some areas an improvement over the 2004 senator we had.

inboard tank, and front bunks, blinds, aside.