How Do I Stop My Ball From Going Rusty

springtime

Alko towball for an Alko Stabiliser Hitch.

Ball has a cover but it still shows signs of a little surface rust.

As no grease is allowed how do I prevent this?

I just clean mine with white spirit and a cloth, or use brake fluid, and some fine emery paper. Make sure you also clean inside the hitch head and stabiliser pads.

use it more often

Been down in Wadebridge since last Friday, returned to Surrey this morning, ball had gone rusty within the week.

I just clean mine with white spirit and a cloth, or use brake fluid, and some fine emery paper.

Would that be Brake Cleaner??? Brake fluid would strip the paint off!!!!

The painr on the ball should be removed before itnis used.

Hence the reason for wanting to ensure that the ball does not have surface rust on it - rust can also contaminate the stabiliser pads :angry:

Would that be Brake Cleaner??? Brake fluid would strip the paint off!!!!

I think he meant brake cleaner, brake fluid is oily & would contaminate the pads & as Bill says all the paint should have been cleaned off before using the ball

I always have a can of brake cleaner in the car & a scouring cloth (scotch brite), if there's any surface rust it gets a wipe with the cloth & a squirt of cleaner.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Green scouring pad and isopropyl alchol,

I get less rust using the golf ball type cap.

I might consider a light coating of vasaline,

but it just something else to clean up before use

I use a small piece of coated paper that somehow (preferably in an enclosed space) reduces corosion on ferrous metals. I've had a sheet of this for several years & will soon have run out, in all that time I have only ever neaded to wipe the tow ball clean. The trouble is I aquired it from the packaging of some tools I bought & have no idea where to get some more from!

The fact that it exists means someone makes it but how to trace it without a brand name. ......?

As no grease is allowed how do I prevent this?
You're right, only one kind of grease is permitted - elbow grease. So that's what I use with a little emery cloth before connecting a dry hitch to the towball. Otherwise, it's as stated above, use it often and there will be no rust on the important bits of the towball. I do have a towball cover in place at all times when the ball not in use.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

micktheshed

Micktheshed, this may be what your looking for-

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Anti-Rust-Anti-corrosive-Moisture-inhibitor-paper-/390121067676?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5ad507149c#ht_649wt_905

If so pm me your address and i shall look in our store to see how much things we have wrapped up in the stuff and send you some bits!

Brake fluid would leave a slight greasy streak. .. Then would contaminate the friction pads. .. Hope you meant break cleaner. .. We use the proper cover from Alko not had a bit of rust in 2 years of it being fitted. .....

Currently on offer at Argos Direct for £5. 99

http://www. argos. co. uk/static/Product/partNumber/4341064/Trail/searchtext%3EALKO. htm

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

@Micktheshed

if thats the stuff that MrOmori refers to. ...and can get loads of that stuff. ....

i work for a well known excavator builder, and many of our ferrous parts come wrapped in that stuff . ...and we don't recycle it at present. many parts also come with the crystal bags attached to absorb moisture . .. no good in this case but there you go. ..

To the OP . . don't worry about it . .poolebob is spot on . ..it has a slight surface oxidisation, its not detrimental in anyway, and think of it as a good indicator that the Alko is working!!! my ball is always very shiny when i arrive at site. .