What Am I Paying For ?

8342mat

Took the car into Indespension Bolton, this afternoon, to have the 12n+s changed for the 13 pin socket.

Was quoted £95 over the phone, which seemed about average.

Questioned the cost breakdown and was informed it was labour, a new socket and a total rewire with a 13 core cable.

Got back in time to find them just fitting the socket to its bracket.

Asked the fitter how the rewire went and he looked at me strange.

He hadn't rewired, or has he ever, he just wired the two cables into the new socket.

This i thought was the way in the first place to be honest.

Anyway.

When the bill was raised you can imagine the rest . .................

So PLEASE make sure you check what work is carried out !!!!!

Had the car been off the ramp and in the car park ready to go, i would have been none the wiser.

£57. 95 in the end that was for a socket at £8. 29 and 1 hr labour £40 + VAT

Mat

'A total rewire with 13 core cable' ????

did you not question that statement when on the phone?

They were actually fitting one socket in place of two (existing) sockets using the existing wiring ( as you later found out!!)

I am so glad my father showed me basic electrics and how to replace plugs on appliances, follow colour codes and be able to read simple diagrams . ..in this instance it saved me approx £50 [ i'd still need a socket! ]

I think it is Indespension standard practice to use two cables any way. When they fitted my towbar I got the 13 pin socket but it was still wired using the 2 cables not a single 13 core

Hi Mat,

Pleased that they 'knocked a bit off' for you in the end, but I think that the important thing when requesting any auto wiring involving a 13-pin socket is to stipulate that it must be in full compliance with ISO 11446 standards. (If they reply "what's that", then get the job done elsewhere!). The standard connections, and, more importantly, cable sizes can be found at http://www. sargentltd. co. uk/ISO11446_Data. pdf

Incidentally using the 12N and 12S cables is not as good as using 13-core cable, which contains three separate 2. 5mm2 earth conductors, as opposed to one 2. 5mm2, one 2. 0mm2 and one 1. 5mm2 earth conductors in the 12N and 12S combined. Further, the three earth terminals on the 13-pin socket should each have their own separate cable, each going to a good earthing point on the car body. Some installers simply 'daisy chain' the three terminals on the socket and run a single cable and splice it into an existing earth cable on the car. Definitely NOT good practice!!!!!

Regards,

David

Hi Mat,

Pleased that they 'knocked a bit off' for you in the end, but I think that the important thing when requesting any auto wiring involving a 13-pin socket is to stipulate that it must be in full compliance with ISO 11446 standards. (If they reply "what's that", then get the job done elsewhere!). The standard connections, and, more importantly, cable sizes can be found at http://www. sargentltd. co. uk/ISO11446_Data. pdf

Incidentally using the 12N and 12S cables is not as good as using 13-core cable, which contains three separate 2. 5mm2 earth conductors, as opposed to one 2. 5mm2, one 2. 0mm2 and one 1. 5mm2 earth conductors in the 12N and 12S combined. Further, the three earth terminals

Irrespective that i got someone else to do the job, as the car and tow bar etc are still under warranty, so although i was shown how to wire a plug, i did not want to have the blame should things go wrong.

My concern is that i was to be billed for work not done.

This certainly would have been the case had i not noticed.

There was certainly no conversation, to my knowledge, between the fitter and writer of the bill.

They were stood next to each other, the fitter still doing his work, when the bill writer asked me to settle up.

The point i wish to make is before you pay, make sure it is what you are actually paying for.

Mat

To be fair, when i changed from 12N/S sockets to 13pin, there's an awful lot of wires squeezed into a small space which made it quite awkward to work on.

2021 Swift Sienna Super 4SB